RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » The Yellow Tie

Author Topic: The Yellow Tie
Furtak
Member # 914

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Furtak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took some photos of a yellow tie on the SeaBoard passenger station in West Palm Beach Florida. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the meaning of the tie? You can see the pictures at the following link: http://communities.msn.com/FurtakNetRailFanPhotos/shoebox.msnw

Thank you for your time.

Posts: 13 | From: Boynton Beach, Florida USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just guesing, but ehre are two possibilities:

1. Location of a device to test on-board signalling or train stop systems.

2. Stopping point for fixed-length consists.

------------------
- Kent Loudon, Somerville NJ

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Hein
Member # 890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Hein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TriRail uses that line, along with Amtrak. TriRail is semiautomated, so it may have something to do with their train operation, as mentioned by Kent.

Isn't West Palm under restoration?

Ed

Posts: 11 | From: Hartsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Furtak
Member # 914

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Furtak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ed,

West Palm appears at this point to be "restored". As a matter of fact my father (who can remember the station when it opened) states that the Seaboard passenger station didn't look this good when it originally opened. It services Amtrack, Greyhound bus lines (moved from the WPB location to the passenger station), local bus service and Tri-Rail. I got feed back on the yellow tie from someone "local". It marks the clearance point for a switch. That is to say that anything on the track needs to be beyond the yellow tie in order for the passing train to clear. At this tie a switch divides the track into two tracks coming into the station. The concern is for a passenger train in the station on one side of the passenger platform being in the way of either the passing train or one pulling into the station.

I ride the Tri-Rail everyday. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "semi-automated". The train is operated by a full service engineer and crew. He sits in the Engine (F-40) going one direction and then sits in the last car for operation on the return trip. Nothing is "automated" from what I can see. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is there something I maybe missing in the auotmation part.

Jason Furtak, Boynton Beach, Florida
Jason@Furtak.net

Posts: 13 | From: Boynton Beach, Florida USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Furtak
Member # 914

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Furtak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way thanks Ed and Kent for your response.

<>

Ed Hein
Member # 890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Hein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason,

I haven't ridden TriRail, but have observed it while waiting for Amtrak at Fort Lauderdale. I got the impression that parts of the operation were automated, but apparently not.

I do have one question: Why do they route TriRail trains ahead of Amtrak trains that are only minutes behind? We would up losing over half an hour on the Amtrak train I was on because of that.

Now that you mention it, I have seen ties painted white on CSX (I believe) at the clearance (or fouling) point.

Ed

Posts: 11 | From: Hartsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Furtak
Member # 914

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Furtak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question about the Amtrak right of way. I know that I have waited for Amtrak on occasion on a siding. It seems pretty consistent in the morning that we wait for the Amtrak to pass. On occassion we've even waited for CSX as well. Believe it or not I think it has something to do with timing. The question becomes, "Where is Tri-Rail when two trains are approaching?"

I know they are building double track construction up and down the Tri-Rail line but it won't be finished for a while. Details about this construction can be found at: http://www.tri-rail.com/Information/DoubleTrack.htm

Yes, CSX does use white ties for the same purpose.

Nice talking to ya,

Jason Furtak, Boynton Beach Florida
Jason.Furtak@Citrix.com

saxman
Member # 958

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saxman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remeber correctly, on CSX, a white painted tie was where a culvert was located and the yellow tie was where the train was supposed to stop for an absolute signal.
Posts: 2 | From: Adrian, MI , USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page