RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » NEC "DS" signal/sign

Author Topic: NEC "DS" signal/sign
chrissu55
Member # 929

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for chrissu55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I think someone here probably knows:
My commuter train into Boston rides the same rails on the NEC as Acela. I noticed just after MP 211, there is a big yellow sign with "DS" in white letters. About 1/4 mile later there's a black sign with "DS" in white letters, and black and white diagonal lines below it.
Does anyone know what this signage means?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
streets of paris
Member # 521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for streets of paris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the yellow DS sign has an indication of "APPROACH DEAD SECTION" and the black DS sign has an indication of "DEAD SECTION". these signs are used to alert the engineer to an upcoming section of catenary that is not energized. there are four dead sections between new haven, ct and boston, ma. i believe the dead section you are referring to is in sharon, ma. anyways, the engineer is supposed to put the main circuit breaker of the power car in the OPEN position. the acela express trainset has batteries so there is very little interruption in the coaches but the regional trains' interior lights actually go out in these dead sections where the train coasts without power. hope this was informative.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrissu55
Member # 929

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for chrissu55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! I guess since our MBTA commuter train is typically a GP40MC we wouldn't be using the catanary to see our lights go out. Are these dead sections by design, or places that need maintenance, or out of range of the substations? Seems odd to have dead spots.

Thanks again!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
streets of paris
Member # 521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for streets of paris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
believe it or not, the dead sections are actually part of the design. they occur at each substaion. go figure. hope this helps.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by streets of paris:
believe it or not, the dead sections are actually part of the design. they occur at each substaion. go figure. hope this helps.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I believe this has something to do with the adjoining "sections" being "out of phase". If two out of phase sections were directly connected, it could screw things up at adjoining substations. The dead sections serve as insulators.

------------------
- Kent Loudon, Somerville NJ

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page