RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » employment question

Author Topic: employment question
sandman
Member # 966

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for sandman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea about whats its like being emplyed by the a railroad company. whats it like being on a spare board...what do you guys average for hours, and how do your wifes like it?
just curious...I think its time for a carrer change.
thanks
Sandman

Posts: 3 | From: Chicopee Ma | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxman
Member # 958

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saxman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working for the railroad is like working any other type of job. It will have its good days and it will have its bad days. (or nights)

As a "new hire" you will spend most of your time working nights and weekends. You will be on call. About the time you plan to do something, the Railroad will call. At first this will probably frustrate your wife and kids. But like everything else they will get used to it.

As you get established at a terminal, you will learn its cycles and will begin to tell about when and what you will work by how many times out you were when you tied up and how many trains and yard assignments the teminal has.

All in all it is a good job. If it was as bad as everyone complains about, they would have left long ago. It never stops amazing me how if a guy leaves or is fired, they cannot wait to get back.

Posts: 2 | From: Adrian, MI , USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sandman
Member # 966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the input Saxman! I will have an interview this Monday then hope to start training in 2-3 weeks.
Sandman

Posts: 3 | From: Chicopee Ma | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BCAmtrak1
Member # 148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCAmtrak1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what Railroad Company Sandman?

Posts: 20 | From: Manteca CA< USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sandman
Member # 966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sandman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guilford out of East Deerfield.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page