RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Air horn madness!

Author Topic: Air horn madness!
ohwellek
Member # 1025

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for ohwellek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a volenteer for Steamtown, Scranton, Pa. and a diesel air horn collector, I appproached management at Steamtown to restore the poor sounding horns on their only operating diesel NKP. EMD. GP/9 514. I rebuilt the Nathan M-3 on the long hood, and donated a Nathan P-5 from my collection to mount on the short hood, not asking to be reimbursed in any way for this contribution.

The 514 carried these horns for about a year, when all of a sudden, upper management decieded they were too loud! As far as deciples go their only operating steam locomotive CNR. S-1b 3254's whistle is just as loud.As a result these horns were removed and a single note honker, a worn Leslie A-200-156 was installed.As if this move was wasn't bad enough, the regular engineers were instructed not to blow this horn at full valve! Whats next, electric car horns?

Is this a Railroad Museum for the public?
It seems to me that Steamtown's upper management should be concearned about what the visiting public likes rather than worring about offending their ears! Most of upper management are not rail knoledgable.I've recieved many favourable comments on the horns.

This is only the tip of the iceberg at Steamtown, Management seems intent on seeing Steamtown fade into oblivion! This would be a shame.

If you suport this commentary, let Steamtown know.
Contact them at-----1-888-693-9391
stea_visitor_information@nps.gov

Posts: 1 | From: Wilkes-Barre, Pa. USA. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Most of the upper management are not rail knowledgable."
That seems to be a recurring phrase these days.

As for the horns... let 'em blow!!!!
In my opinion, the best sound in the world is an Amtrak K5LA, with an engineer who can really make it sing. If you don't like it, cover your ears!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page