RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » REA info

Author Topic: REA info
Jesse
Member # 486

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know about the Railway Express Agency? Could I have some info on it? Websites? Books?

-Thanks

Posts: 106 | From: Hilton NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CV
Member # 1114

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandfather worked for the REA for several years. It was similar to todays UPS although REA used mostly rail to transport the packages with door to door delivery done by trucks just like UPS.As far as I know all of the main offices were run out of railroad stations. I'm not aware of any books about the REA specifically but please let me know what you find out.
Thanks

Posts: 15 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thedaytheystoppedthetrain
Member # 1115

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for thedaytheystoppedthetrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always wanted my own REA green(?) wooden baggage hand-truck with the steel wheels.
Posts: 5 | From: Avon, IN USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not really well acquainted with the REA situation, but the Railway Express Agency was jointly owned by all major U.S. rail carriers. One of their main troubles was that they were 'tied' to rail services through 'key point' restrictions promulgated by the Interstate Commerce Commission which had the legal power to regulate them; they could not haul from/to many pairs of points without routing shipments through designated 'key point cities' and using rail between those key points. This hamstrung their service and about the time passenger trains started dying wholesale, United Parcel Service, which had been around for many years but was strictly a local parcel deliverer for major department stores in big cities (thus the name), was allowed to step in and siphon off REA's traffic; also of course REA's main nemesis was always the taxpayer-funded Post Office Parcel Post service. I'm sure I saw a book on REA advertised a few years ago, so check the rail book lists on the different sites and you should find it. I'll check my files and if I find anything more I'll re-post.
Jim Bradley National Director Hawk Mountain Chapter National Railway Historical Society.

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page