RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Proposed Amtrak budget could threaten service next year

Author Topic: Proposed Amtrak budget could threaten service next year
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trainsmag.com just reported that The Bush Administration on Monday released a budget proposal for 2003 that $521 million for Amtrak, the same the railroad has received over the last three years, reported the Associated Press.

Thta amount is less than half what Amtrak said it would need in 2003 in order to maintain its current level of service.

On Friday the railroad announced a plan to cut $285 million in 2002 by eliminating 1000 jobs,reducing the hours and staffing at 73 stations, and scaling back $175 million in capital expenditures. The railroad then threatened to cut all long-distance service without a $1.2 billion appropriation in 2003.

White House budget director Michael Daniels, commenting on the proposed $521 million outlay said the only way more money might be forthcoming for Amtrak would be if Congress and administration were to reach a decision on the railroad's restructuring, the AP reported.

The Amtrak Reform Council is Scheduled to release its own report to Congress tomorrow.

Apreliminary list of routes that would be discontinued was released byb Amtrak,which plans to issue an official cancellation notice on March 29 in compliance with a law requiring 180 days notice for passenger train cancellations.

Corridor routes and state-supported trains in the East, Midwest, and West would not affected, nor would the Overnight Auto Train.

The list of threatened long-distance trains includes:

Twilight Shorliner, from Boston to Newport News, Va

Silver Meteor, from New York to Miami.

Silver Star, from New York to Miami

Silver Palm, from New York to Tampa and Miami.

Crescent, from New York to New Orleans

Lake Shore Limit, From Chicago to Boston and New York.

Three Rivers, from New York to Chicago

Pennsylvanian, from Philadelphia to Chicago

Capitol Limit, from Washington to Chicago.

Cardinal, from Washington to Chicago.

Kentucky Cardinal, from Chicago to Louisville, Ky.

City of New Orleans, from Chicago to New Orleans.

Texas Eagle, from Chicago to San Antonio.

Sunset Limit, from Orlando, Fla., to Los Angeles.

Southwest Chief, from Chicago to Los Angeles.

California Zephyr, from Chicago to Emeryville, Calif.

Empire Builder, from Chicago to Seattle and Portland.

Coast Starlight, from Los Angeles to Seattle.

well guys ot there what is your reaction to this?

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmymac
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for jimmymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, did they miss any? That's every long distance train currently in service I think. So, Amtrak will become a regional transit authority like SEPTA or Tri-Rail. There won't be much support in Congress for that. I find it very curious that Warrington did not mention any cut backs in the NEC.
Posts: 57 | From: Huntersville, NC USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jimmymac:
I find it very curious that Warrington did not mention any cut backs in the NEC.

Me too. Supposedly the NEC actually makes money, but I really doubt that.

I have admired many of the things that GW has done but right now he's really pushing my buttons. He is president of the NATIONAL railroad passenger corp, yet he and the Amtrak board have essentially decided the national system will be reduced to the NEC if the money doesn't roll in.

And for years GW has been telling us Amtrak was "on the glidepath to self-suffiency" when all along it was just smoke and mirrors to please hostile members of Congress.

And why, oh why, hasn't GW stood up and pointed out, loudly and frequently, that half of the money Congress authorized to help Amtrak become self sufficient was never given to Amtrak?

He has done some good things, like setting up business partnerships, the guest rewards program, etc. And I have some sympathy for him because he was asked against his better judgement to take on a thankless job. But I do question his judgement in some vital matters.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmymac
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jimmymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Mr. Toy:
I have heard that Mr. Warrington came from NJ Transit. Perhaps he has too parochial an interest in the NEC.

Posts: 57 | From: Huntersville, NC USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrbones
Member # 1368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrbones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm new to this board, but I've always wanted to some long distance train travel in the US.

When I heard about the potential cuts, I decided to repriortize my travel opportunities so that I can just focus on train travel in 2002....just in case.

Anyone else thinking along similar lines?

------------------
mrbones

Posts: 1 | From: Pacific Grove, CA USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page