RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » North America Rail Tour

Author Topic: North America Rail Tour
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I would post a few comments on my trip from Toronto Canada and return via California using a North America Rail Pass. I started out in Toronto travelling to Niagara Falls Ont. on Via's General Brock on Dec. 17th 2002. I was a little worried about my connection with the Lakeshore Ltd. in Buffalo now that it leaves at 9:09 pm and my train was due in Niagara Falls at 7:36 pm. Notwithstanding many stories about delays at the border, I spent no more than two minutes at Buffalo's Peace Bridge crossing by limo, and where the inspector asked only a few perfunctory questions (never even asked my name or for any ID). I arrived at Depew station at 8:30 pm and the Lakeshore arrived at about 9:50 pm, and arrived in Chicago the next day (the 18th) at 8:30 am, an hour and a half late. I was pleased to see that Amtrak does serve breakfast into Chicago starting at 5:00 am. I arrived in the dining car a little after six am to find two surly employees reluctantly serving fried eggs and bacon to the starving masses. I should note that these two were the only employees with poor attitude on the trip. My connection to the Southwest Chief was made with an on-time departure of 3:15 pm on the 18th. I was in deluxe Bedroom E in an un-refurbished Superliner I. Good porter service, but the "hot" water was only lukewarm during the entire trip and the mattress was rather lumpy. Good service in the dining car, and the food was the usual adequate Amtrak fare. I arrived in San Bernardino on the 20th about one hour late in the pouring rain with a station that is not open at train time!! Apparently undergoing renovations. On the 27th I departed Los Angeles on the N/B Coast Starlight. The train departed on-time at 10:15 am, but was late departing everywhere else. I was in "E" again in car 1430 just in front of the Parlour car. Again good porter service, and very good dining car service. My salmon was excellent and there was a young enthusiastic crew in the diner who were particularly good. I was also glad to see that the chief steward (or whatever title he may have) did not overwork the PA system. I recall last year when "Chris in the diner" was driving everyone crazy with his non-stop announcements. I arrived in Seattle at about 10:40 pm on the 28th, two hours ten minutes late. I stayed overnight at the Crown Plaza Hotel, and the next morning I boarded Cascade Train #510 for Vancouver BC. For an extra $11.00 I had a business class seat that also included a $3.00 coupon good for a discount on breakfast in the dining car. For some un-explained reason we departed King Street Station 30 minutes late, and arrived in Vancouver 20 minutes late. One other advantage to business class, is that you are first off the train and through customs very quickly. My last train (and the best) was Via train #2 The Canadian. It departed two minutes early! at 5:28 pm on the 29th. I had double bedroom "F" in a manor series sleeper for my three day journey to Toronto. For those in the know, F is a somewhat bigger bedroom than the others and there is no extra cost, so I always try to book this particular accommodation. When the beds are put down at night, the passenger discovers the major difference between Via and Amtrak. Amtrak simply puts down a thin mattress on the sofa, rather then having a proper bed in the Pullman tradition with a good thick mattress. Very good porter and dining car service. Unlike Amtrak, Via does in fact change the menu during the trip. For the most part the food was very good, except for a tasteless salmon and a very poor red wine. I have to admit that Amtrak's salmon on the Starlight was much superior. The Canadian had the strange (and illegal?) habit of departing stations early. In one instance in Northern Ontario at a place called Westree, we passed through at high speed nearly 15 minutes early. I guess someone must have seen an annoyed person shaking his fist by the side of the track, as about a mile down the line we did back up and finally found our errant passenger. We arrived about 15 minutes early into Toronto's Union station on the 1st of January, 2003. There was apparently a new year's eve party on board, but I was a party pooper and went to bed at 10:00 pm. Sorry if I went on too long, but I hope you will find my posting of interest.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report. Thanks for posting it.

I hope to take the eastbound Canadian in the forseeable future. I noted that you mentioned that "Room F" is larger. Do you know whether the other types of accommodations on that train also have a particular rooms that are slightly bigger?

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The largest single accommodation is the drawing room which has two lower berths and one upper berth. It also contains a full length sofa and two arm chairs. For most of the year, The Canadian only has one drawing room in the "Park" series observation/sleeping car. On occasion Via may add (usually during the summer) a "Chateau" series car that also has a drawing room. Of course the drawing room is substantially more expensive than a bedroom, but it is also much larger than a bedroom. One word of caution about Via's terminology: Via calls a roomette a "single bedroom"; a bedroom as a "double bedroom"; and a drawing room as a "triple bedroom." I think this is an unfortunate attempt on Via's part to mislead the consumer. If I didn't know any better, I would presume that I was getting a real bedroom and not a roomette when booking a "single bedroom." The "double bedroom" really is a double bedroom, i.e. it is the traditional size of a bedroom with two berths (upper and lower). As for "F" in the manor car, it is at least one foot wider than the other double bedrooms, which means a chair can be left up at night, and more room for luggage etc. You may want to book bedroom F soon, as I heard a rumour that Via may want to charge extra for this space, as it is so popular with knowledgeable train riders.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information. I've just taken a look at the VIA Rail web site. I see what you mean about the room designations -- a single room is equivalent to an Amtrak standard room.

I'm also aware that VIA still has "sections," where the seats turn into sleeping berths enclosed by a heavy curtain. Just for the novelty of it, I'm tempted to have a "Lucy and Ricky Ricardo-meet-The Three Stooges" experience and try one. But I have a feeling it would only be amusing for the first night.

Has anyone out there ever slept in a "section?"

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
I do hope that you get a chance to ride the Canadian. I would not,however, advise that you take a section. Many years ago I did try out a lower berth in a section on an overnight journey into Toronto. Although the bed was very comfortable (in fact I believe they are wider than a roomette bed)you will not like the lack of privacy in the day, nor having to go "down the hall" for the washroom facilties. As well the seats during the day do not recline and are not very comfortable. The only real advantage to the section is the low price and the first-class privileges.
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Thanks. I can handle having the facilities located down the hall; I've dealt with that fine when I've booked Standard Rooms on Amtrak sleepers.

But I wasn't aware that "section" seats don't recline. My aching back can't imagine going all the way from Vancouver to Toronto without an occasional change of angle. So I guess the section idea is out.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page