RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Phase IVb Superliner

Author Topic: Phase IVb Superliner
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caught it today on the Coast Starlight. Looks good! For more photos and details, go to Superliner

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great to see these cars back in service. Are there more than two of these out now? I heard one was going to the CZ and one to the Chief.

But, but, but....
The text in the page you linked to says:
David Gunn vowed to have consistent paint jobs on its equipment. Unlike the locomotive, which is Phase V with the blue wave, it would cost more to develop a Phase V format for the Superliners, so they resorted to keeping the pin stripes to keep all Superliners identical.

By eliminating the blue "Superliner" lettering and adding the lower red stripe they won't quite match the others. If consistency is the goal, they should stick with Phase IVa. But I nitpick.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just glad that Gunn isn't going to worry about ANOTHER brand new Phase VI paint scheme. So it's nice to have Phase IVb on the Superliners, whereas it doesn't stand out too different from the unrefurbished cars.

And hip-hip horray on Gunn dismantling the Acela brandname! Very thankful that the Superliners weren't renamed to Aceliner...

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that Gunn wants identical paint schemes on the superliners...but we see something different enough that even "Joe Six-pack" would notice. Or would he?

The paint in nice, I'd even say a bit more classy than the IVa.

As a whole, it blends well with other equipment, like the baggage cars, but to the "trained eye", it makes for a mis-matched superliner set if they repaint half the fleet and then decide on something else.

Nevertheless, equipment has been repaired, and it wouldn't matter if it was pink, well maybe not pink, but still...

Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey call me stupid but what does "transition sleeper" actually mean?
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A transition sleeper is where the crew can move between the baggage car and the superliners. It is also where the onboard crew sleep
Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The transition sleepers have a lower door on one end which is even in height to that of baggage and Amfleet cars. The other end is the same height to the rest of the Superliner consist. The crew can then move freely throughout the train.
There are bedrooms similar to that of sleeping cars for the crews, and on the lower level is a lounge with tables and chairs, and the conductor's "office", as Chris's site shows.

As far as the paint job goes, I think it's a nice and welcome change. The omission of the word "Superliner" gives the cars a "cleaner" exterior, and gives the entire consist a more modern and classy look.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually liked having the word "Superliner" on the cars. I will miss that.......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, RRRICH

I'll miss Superliner. And to be honest, I don't like this new scheme at all. The red stripe reminds me of pajamas or a clown or something. And I don't like the type of car being omitted after the number. I sure hope this stays on only a few cars, its too much bare metal, bring back the large Superliner lettering please!

[This message has been edited by Southwest Chief (edited 03-07-2003).]

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since we're posting opinions about something we can do nothing to alter, which is always fun, I'll chime in.

I like the new scheme and a agree that it is much cleaner and modern looking than the older versions. As for too much "bare metal", IMO, nothing looked finer in rain or shine than the Q's Zephyrs which were about as simply adorned as possible.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the compilation of wrecked Superliners appearoing in Rail Travel News Issue #651, 39044 was wrecked in the Texas Eagle Hallsville, TX incident during Sept 2001.

"Every litter bitt" helps.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Southwest Chief:
I agree, RRRICH
And I don't like the type of car being omitted after the number.

Chief, I believe the car type is now placed by the door, which seems to make more sense. Easier for boarding passengers to see.

But I do want the "Superliner" lettering back. Maybe they're saving some cash by not putting it on. In that case, I can live with it.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page