RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Car Rental @ Amtrak Station in Orlando?

Author Topic: Car Rental @ Amtrak Station in Orlando?
nealsmom
Member # 2398

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nealsmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st time taking a train, ever. I'll have 2 10yr old boys with me. Going Amtrak from Boston to Orlando. I need to get a rental car once there. What rental agencies are on-site? I don't want to take a cab or bus to get there. Thanks! Michelle
Posts: 1 | From: Salem, NH | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenchappell
Member # 2245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenchappell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nealsmom:
1st time taking a train, ever. I'll have 2 10yr old boys with me. Going Amtrak from Boston to Orlando. I need to get a rental car once there. What rental agencies are on-site? I don't want to take a cab or bus to get there. Thanks! Michelle

Sorry - messed up the response

The following information was taken from the Amtrak website:

"S T A T I O N I N F O R M A T I O N

Orlando (ORL)

Car Rentals

Hertz Car Rental
(800) 654-3131

Call Hertz and a shuttle will pick you up from the station. Hertz will reimburse you for the cost of a taxi ride to the rental location (up to $22) if you miss the bus."

[This message has been edited by kenchappell (edited 04-04-2003).]

Posts: 28 | From: Bristol England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.hertz.com lists Orlando Amtrak as one of their locations (1400 Sligh Blvd) with hours of 11am-6pm. But they won't let you book online for that location. Give them a try at (800)654-3131 and don't let them forget my 30% commission.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmymac
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jimmymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at the Orlando Sstation last December. Hertz has a counter inside the station and rental cars in the parking lot.
Posts: 57 | From: Huntersville, NC USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done this several times. Just call the Amtrak number, 1-800-USA-RAIL. they will put you through to the Hertz/Amtrak desk where they will make all the arrangements for you. You can just drop the car off at the station when you return. Always worked out great for me and the rate was good too.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striperjack
Member # 1636

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for striperjack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We took the Bos-Orl. trip this Feb. It was one of our best trips yet. Reggierail has it right about contacting Hertz, if your train is on time the shuttle bus will take you to the Hertz site which is fairly close, I dont know how long they will wait for a late arrival but the taxi option is always there. Also you can just park the car in the parking lot when leaving. The rate is very and the people from Hertz are very helpful. Have fun and sit back and enjoy the ride. Jack M
Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did this and we have 3 kids. It is very convenient. The only thing we did expect is the car rental is NOT at the station. The shuttle actually takes you to the airport! So to return, you have to take the car to the airport NOT The train station.
My advice: do it, but keep luggage to a minimum.

Don't miss Universal Studios. We had more fun there and at Epcot. Magic Kingdom is always to crowded and Animal Planet or whatever it is called was to crowded, all rides were reserved and sold out.

Also don't miss taking the boys to the Sci-Fi Diner at MGM. It is like going to eat in a drive in. My kids LOVE this place!

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Been there, Done That" during Feb 02. Heartilly recommend use of Hertz at Amtrak-Orlando.

First a disclaimer: I am likely a customer for life of Hertz. This past November I left a Hertz auto at the Riverside CT station for a trip into New York and failed to turn off the headlights. At 11:45PM, they agreed to send out a tow truck, which arrived about 1AM, and I was a rolling to the hotel within 10 minutes. To be on the safe side i did drive to Stamford and then returned to the hotel (Hyatt; Old Greenwich) just to give a little extra charge to the battery. The Hertz emergency service operator never once tried to "rush" me; all told exemplary service arising from my negligence.

At ORL, the rental counter is in the Waiting room; if you have an advance reservation, the auto you booked (size; but not make) will be within 30 paces away. I think they have a unit or two as well for "walk ups".

Absoutely totally convenient.

Only problem, they do not have a computer terminal there, so your contract cannot be closed on the spot when you return. However, if you are booked, they will have a hand written Agreement ready to go.

Is this the cheapest rental in town? Quite unlikely, but for an Amtrak passenger, you can't beat the convenience. Their office hours will cover all on time trains except #2 (Sunset).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently learned that the existing cross marketing program between Amtrak and Hertz will result in a commission paid to BOTH Amtrak and personally to the Sales Agent as well. Be assured the transaction is quite "above board".

However, you decide if this is good or bad, being mindful that you (possibly "the collective you") are paying those comissions.

For what it be worth, it seemed as if the rate of about $60/da for a full-sized at Stamford is noticeably higher than the $35.65/da paid this past November booked over the web and originating at Westchester County Airport (HPN). Even though auto rental rates do vary with supply and demand, I must wonder just how much, if anything, booking it through Amtrak cost me. Also, in the past, I have paid as high as $70/day in the New York area.

I would think the best plan of attack in this case would be to first check the rate on the web, and if the rate is the same or "close enough' through Amtrak, book through the latter and help "the cause" a bit.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a hertz counter there... only available during the mid-day. Call Hertz to find out hours... I found that you can take a van to a local hotel, too... pick one that has rental car service... if it is late, after 5pm or so, take the same van (24X7 at the station) to the airport... the rental counters there are always open... this is the exact thing I am doing since we arrive in orlando at 10PM.
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page