RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Superliner Standard Room vs. Deluxe Room

Author Topic: Superliner Standard Room vs. Deluxe Room
Kostroma
Member # 2243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kostroma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finally ready to actually book my room on the Coast Starlight(Seattle-LA roundtrip).

Going through Amtrak's site, the Standard room is priced at $629 while the Deluxe room is priced at $1058. Is the Deluxe room really worth the extra $400+? My mother will be traveling with me and we'd love to have the extra leg room, but that's such a jump in the price.

[This message has been edited by Kostroma (edited 04-18-2003).]

Posts: 24 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Standard, although it does have two beds, is simply not an accomodation suitable for two adults. Adult and small child, that's one thing; so are two adolescents, but otherwise it's Deluxe.

Pay up and enjoy your trip!!!!

Posts: 9982 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree.....

The standard room works just fine for a husband and wife. It's cozy.

However, I would not want to share a standard room with my mom.....

If you can afford the price difference, jump up to the deluxe.....

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve D
Member # 2344

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Steve D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you have to evaluate your and your mother's situation, needs, and concerns before deciding whether you really need to lay down an extra $400. If money is no object, I say go for it. My wife and I have traveled over 25,000 miles in Amtrak standard sleepers over the last 4 years. We are in our 40s and 50s, in good health, average size, and no physical disabilities. Of course it is smaller, but we've had no problem with the comfort of standard sleepers. I suppose the greatest limitation in the standard vs delux sleeper is the space for changing clothes while the beds are down. The issue of climbing into the upper bed is virtually the same in both types of sleeper. I believe having a sink and shower in the room is okay but over-rated. I would consider foremost your physical size, abilities and limitations. If this is not a real issue with either of you, then I don't think the extra money is really worth it. Put that $400 saved toward your next trip! That is a great train, and I know you and your mother will enjoy the adventure and experience.

------------------

Posts: 7 | From: Shreveport, LA, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The toilet is the issue for my wife & I when considering standard vs. deluxe. Especially during the night.....! The extra $$ for potty AND shower are worth it for us. While money is an individual issue, the added facilities and the extra space were an important consideration in our decision to upgrade.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your mom is relatively young and has both a sense of adventure and a sense of humor, go for the standard.

With an entire train to sit in (including the Sightseer Lounge, Dining Car, and -- if you're lucky -- the Pacific Parlour Car), you won't be spending many daylight hours in the sleeper anyway. And at night. . . well. . . an Amtrak bed is an Amtrak bed. If your money is tight, the difference between standard and deluxe certainly isn't worth an extra $400.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 04-18-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is just one night, I'd say put the $400 towards something else. The standard bedroom isn't that bad, especially if you spend time in the lounge.
However, if this is a major trip, you may want to go for the added space and private restroom and shower.
Personally, $400 is a bit much and sometimes they will offer a last minute upgrade for less.
If space is what you want, the family bedroom is a good choice. Many times you'll find it priced less than the deluxe, though it sells out fast.

Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kostroma,
I've enjoyed Standard, and Deluxe, on the Coast Starlight with two people.

How about booking Standard one way, Deluxe the other way? That shouldn't be $400 difference, and then you and Ma decide.

------------------
- - - - -The Chief

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
azrailer
Member # 2429

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for azrailer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Wife and I have used both Standard and Deluxe and have decided that Standard is the only way to go. We have never had a problem with rest rooms as there is always one available and the lower shower with a dressing area is better than standing over the toilet to shower in the Deluxe. We rarley ever used the sink and the beds are virtually the same size.I am 6' 210lbs and the wife is 5'6" and we have no problem navigating the beds at 59.On the Coast Starlight you will spend most of your time in the Parlor or Dining Cars as there is such Beautiful country to see. Save the money and take the ride again.
Posts: 11 | From: Scottsdale AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having had both standard and deluxe rooms, I really don't have a strong preference. The deluxe is roomier, to be sure, but since you have the run of the train (and on the Starlight the comfort of the Pacific Parlor Car) you can easily find space to stretch out somewhere.

My wife and I, along with my 80 year old mother and 53 year old sister shared two standard rooms in 2000 for our trip from Emeryville to Denver. We had no serious problems with space except that two of us overstuffed their carry-ons and thus couldn't slide them under the seats out of the way. My wife and I ended up taking the upper bunks because my mom and sister are not too limber.

As for space to change into your jammies, you can always use the changing room adjacent to the public shower downstairs. For nighttime runs to the rest room, I use velcro fastening shoes for a quick getaway (you must wear shoes anytime you are outside your room).

I look at it this way. For two people sharing a room, a standard room is roughly analagous (not literally identical) to a coach airline seat (but far more comfortable as it has much more leg and hip room). A deluxe room is more like a first class airline seat, nice if you can afford it but hardly essential (sorry, Gilbert).

I agree with others who suggested trying a standard room outbound, and a deluxe homebound. That way you can sample both types of rooms and see which you prefer.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 04-20-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that standard bedrooms are ideal for one person and the deluxe is better for two. In my mind, it is worth it to experience the train ride with a bit more room.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mr. Norman, take the deluxe. The standard for two is far too cramped particularly at night. I travel alone, and I always take the deluxe on anything other than very short overnight runs or for short day runs. During the day I can stretch out on the sofa, and having the toilet and sink in the room is a significant advantage. I would say the only reason not to take the deluxe is cost, i.e. take it if you can afford it.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be a weird suggestion, and I don't even know if it's possible, but how about splitting the difference? Take the standard sleeper on the way out, and the deluxe on the way back. This way, if you find you don't like the standard, you'll have the roomier accomodation for the return trip. This might work if you do plan to take future train trips, and want to 'audition' the different accomodations.
Now say someone books a trip like this, and finds that the standard sleeper is just fine. Would there be a penalty for downgrading the deluxe on the return trip (assuming that a standard room is available)?

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kostroma
Member # 2243

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Kostroma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Thanks for all the input!

It's not really a matter of affording it more of a matter of is it worth it. A cost-benefit analysis if you will.

Is there anyplace where I can find a virtual tour of the rooms? Sometimes a one dimensional photo doesn't give a true assessment of size.

Posts: 24 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try using 360 degrees done by trainweb they do a real nice job of showing the different room and cars on amtrak
Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kostroma
Member # 2243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kostroma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's settled. My mom and I looked at the VRs of both rooms. As I thought, a VR provided more of an insight than a flat picture. While the standard looks comfortable enough, I think I would like a little more room.

My mom thinks that she would feel a little claustrophobic in the standard. She also likes the idea of having a bathroom in the room as she's not the most coordinated person in the world. If she needs a middle of the night potty break, she doesn't want to be stumbling around in the hall while half asleep.

Thank you all for your input.

Now that that's settled, I have yet another question. Do the doors to the rooms lock from the outside when you're not in them or does one rely solely on the honor system?

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They only lock from the inside. When you leave the room there is no way to lock it. Security is a little better in the sleepers than in coach as coach passengers aren't allowed into the sleepers (and this is usually enforced). Pull the curtain and shut the door and you should be okay. If something is truly valuable, take it with you or leave it at home.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page