RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Viewliners vs luggage -- Whatya gonna do?

Author Topic: Viewliners vs luggage -- Whatya gonna do?
Steve D
Member # 2344

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Steve D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a recent trip east, my wife and I traveled the Crescent, DC to Meridian MS. Unfortunately, luggage is not handled any longer in Meridian. Therefore, one cannot check luggage into, or out of, Meridian (and many other cities as well). We were on a 10-day trip, traveling sleeper, with several stops and had 2 large and 2 small luggage pieces. The smaller pieces could be stored in our sleeper, however there was no alternative storage location in the Viewliner sleeping car. The conductor and attendents in DC acted like this siuation had never happened before, saying at first that our luggage would simply have to be checked to and taken off at the closest stop to Meridian still handling baggage. This idea was totally ridiculous. We finally told them that we, of course, had the same situation arising when we departed Meridian -- no checked baggage. That attendant easily dealt with the situation by placing our large bags in a storage location in the crew dorm car. We informed the DC crew of this little trick, and they decided to accomodate us with that solution. My point is that Amtrak travelers cannot help that these situations arise regarding baggage and the increased number of stations now that have discontinued checked baggage service. In Superliner equipment, there is usually enough storage area located in sleeping car vestibules to accomodate additional luggage pieces. However, Viewliners lack any extra space outside one's assigned accomodation. Why cannot passengers traveling in Viewliner equipment take/retrieve their own luggage to the baggage car at stations that no longer handle checked baggage? I understand that train conductors receive/dispense luggage in the baggage car to Amtrak attendents at stations who still handle checked baggage. Why can I not give my bag to, or get my bag from, the conductor directly in the baggage car? Just a thought. Thanks for listening to me vent. Along with me, keep enjoying your Amtrak adventures!

------------------

Posts: 7 | From: Shreveport, LA, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best rule: "if you can't carry it, don't bring it"

However, at least your sleeper attendant did not see fit to use the shower room as the store room, as did one on a June 2001 trip I made aboard the Lake Shore. He was probably less than happy when, being it time for my morning shower, I proceeded to put the stuff out in the hallway. Wisely, he said nothing, and when done, I put it all back into the shower room.

I got what I paid for (the greatest travel innovation that can be credited to Amtrak), but I must wonder how many others saw the luggage piled in there and simply went without.

Posts: 9983 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman is right. It's best to be a minimalist when it comes to packing for a train trip. Americans, in particular, have a habit of taking along enough clothing, hair care products, and electronic equipment to last a year -- even when they'll only be away for a few days.

I've honed it to the point where I can travel for an entire week with nothing more than a medium-size backpack slung over my shoulder. Challenge yourself and travel light next time. It makes things a whole lot easier.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a Samsonite 24" roll-on, specifically because it will fit on the top of the step for the upper bunk in a standard sleeper, and still give me room for a toe-hold to get "upstairs". (FYI, the Superliner II step is slightly smaller than the Superliner I step.)

I also have an over the shoulder bag that attaches to the pull handle of the roll-on.(overnight style Samsonite bag)

If it cannot fit in those two bags, it doesn't need to make the trip.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's not blame the passenger for what, in my opinion, is a very big bonehead move by Amtrak. At about the same time as they cancelled much of their checked baggage service, they also initiated the two bag limit. What a dumb move! Neither the Viewliner or Superliner sleepers have enough baggage storage space...it is a big problem.

rick

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an interesting thread. In summer of 2001 we took the Late, er, Lake Shore Ltd from Chicago to Springfield Mass. "We" included teen daughter No. 2.

Of course there was no room in the Viewliner Std bedroom for all the luggage. However our Sleeper was right behind the baggage car and the attendant told us to store our (daughter's) "extras" in there. I put mine there for more room in the room. It was interesting going into a swaying baggage car at 65 mph.

MikeSmith & dilly say pack light, which I do when training/flying solo. Still, this account of the LSL is intriguing in that we rode the Texas Eagle from Dallas to Chicago, then connected with the LSL.

Lotsa storage room on the Eagle, as on all Superliner Sleepers. In summation, I pack lighter each trip, appreciate the baggage storage on the Superliner Sleeper compared with lack of on the Viewliner Sleeper, and am glad that I don't have to ride in a baggage car!

SiDeBAr-- That trip I named the attendant on the Lake Shore Ltd "Jimmy Hoffa" because he was seen about as much...

------------------
- - - - -The Chief

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page