RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Anybody with local knowledge of Chicago, please?

Author Topic: Anybody with local knowledge of Chicago, please?
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks. I'm just putting my schedule together for a trip over to the States at the end of the summer. I'll be flying into O'Hare and taking either the SWC or the Eagle/Sunset to LA and I need some local info on Chicago.

1. How far is it from O'Hare airport to Union Station, and how long does the taxi ride take? Is the traffic a likely issue and is it significantly lighter on a Sunday as compared to Monday?

2. There are countless Chicago tourist hotels available on internet web sites, but most of them seem to be between one and three miles east/north-east of the station. I don't really want to o/n unless I have to, but should it be necessary are there any reasonably priced hotels within a few blocks of the station? Or am I better staying nearer the airport and coming into town on the following morning?

3. If I do o/n I'll have a morning to kill before the train, what is convenient to see/visit and (sorry, but it's a fact of life these days if you're a stranger in a big city) are there any areas near the station to avoid?

4. I've only ever taken an Amtrak LD train before from an intermediate station - is there a latest "check-in" time if you are going from the originating city?

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chicago is huge and traffic is an issue... bypass that by using Metra. Very accessible from O'Hare and will take you right to Union Station... here is their web address.
www.metrarail.com

There is a ton to do downtown... that all depends on your "fancy." Great musuems, shopping, aquariums and food.

Staying O/N can be expensive but you would be right in the thick of things.

Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'd considered Metra. Unfortunately, unless I'm reading the timetable wrongly, there's only five Metra trains a day from O'Hare to Union Station and nothing between 7.58am and 4.24pm so I'm afraid that's no use to me, as I'll be arriving at either 10.20 or 11.55.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to Chi town many times. I think 6.

First take the SWC. The layover in San Antonio can be terrible, especially if your in coach, since the Sunset can be very late. Although the Eagle can be late as well making the layover not as bad. Plus the Eagles country view isnt as good as the Chiefs. You go through suburbs in Texas and its quite odd what you'll find in someones backyard(Mcdonalds Playplace, Hundreds of wrecked cars).
Places to see: The Pier, Museum of Science and Industry, Art Museum, Take an "L" ride to Addison and see Wrigley.
I know there is a holiday inn near the station and one near the pier(ryhmes)(Holiday Inn City Centre)Maybe the Holiday Inn and Suites http://www.hotelscheap.org/hotel/hotelinfo.asp?mem=1277&searchtype=hotel&hotelid=152668&location=DOWNTOWN%2D+UIC%2D+UNION+STATION&latitude=&longitude=&checkindate=06%2F15%2F2003&ch eckoutdate=6%2F18%2F2003&numberOfAdults=2&numberOfBeds=1&specialRate=N&rating=3%2E0&city=Chicago&state=IL&country=US .

Directions: http://maps.yahoo.com/py/ddResults.py?Pyt=Tmap&ed=Hi9s6OV.wim.u9civbbdqiC_hEKiZcs.a_B6sObIQ1Yua6A5II8MaJ3NwYrCWbMTVSSICAdsDP67BCfofd46RHwlonuGWc99hKE0pg--&newcsz=CHICAGO,+IL,+US,+6 0607&newcountry=us&newtcsz=Chicago,+IL+60661&newtcountry=us

Can be pricy though.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MILW
Member # 2538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MILW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to live in the Milwaukee area. I agree that the Southwest Chief is your best bet and a Taxi from O'Hare is better than Metra. I believe Chicago has a cap on the max taxi fare from O'Hare to the Loop (or they used too). As far as reasonably priced hotels. You have to define a price range. I usually stay at the Palmer House Hilton hotel which is approx 6-7 block walk from Union Station (depends on your luggage). They used to charge $90-110 a night, which is cheap for such a nice hotel near the loop, IMHO. You can always ask for your corporate liesure rate for the company you work for, sometimes that can lower it to $80 a night, if you work for a large company.
Posts: 14 | From: Dallas,TX | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody seems to have mentioned the subway. Either that or my memory has gone funny.

I've stayed in the Essex hotel, the Travelodge, and the Congress Plaza. All were opposite Grant Park which is a short taxi ride to Union Station. The Travelodge was pretty dire but they were renovating it (we had an old room), you may want to steer clear just in case it's still naff.

Last time I looked, 3 nights in a sleeper on the Eagle was cheaper than 2 nights in a sleeper on the Chief. If you've been on neither, then the Chief is probably better. But the Eagle is definitely worth a trip one day.

Be at the station a good 1/2 hour before departure. If you're in sleeper, remember that there's a lounge you can use with free drinks and (usually) snacks.

Geoff M.

Edit: Ah... no diner between DFW and SAS.

[This message has been edited by geoffm (edited 06-01-2003).]

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mr williams,
geoffm has a point about the subway. CTA Blue Line goes from O'Hare downtown, and its an easy walk to the Amtrak Station http://www.transitchicago.com/ .

I usually fly into Midway and take the CTA Orange Line downtown and walk to the station. If you have time, a CTA daypass allows you to ride the train and buses, and you can bus to downtown places like the Art Institute or Aquarium.
Just try a Google search on Chicago tourist and explore. A new site I used to plan an Empire Builder trip to Seattle this summer is http://www.tripadvisor.com/ . Its reviews are helpful.

aside to Uncle Buck: "suburbs in Texas..."? C'mon, we have some scenery here, too.
However, Uncle Buck's rec on the SWChief makes great sense.

------------------
_________Thë Çhîeƒ
_|_|_|_|_

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snake
Member # 2430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for snake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget planes can be delayed, just like trains, overnighting in Chicago might be good insurance, particularly if you're coming in on connecting flights.

I've saved a lot of money using Priceline for hotel stays. Last fall I bid $46 for a night at a four star O'Hare area hotel and got the O'Hare Hilton ($58 including tax & service charge)

Bidding for Travel is a good source of detailed information on Priceline bidding.

The subway in Chicago is a cheap, safe and fast way to get downtown from the airport.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry if I affended anyone with the Suburbs in Texas, but from my memory of the trip their was a lot of going through suburbs, but once you get out into the country it can get nice. The Sunset Route I do not know. The SWC is the way to go. Eagle and Sunset can be very late.
Although since you start on the train it doesnt matter since you dont have to wait in the station.
If you lose time then it can be a rough ride going through Texas. Trying to bring the train in on schedule.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mr. williams:

1. Forget about taking the subway. It's a local, so it takes for-ev-er to get from O'Hare to downtown. Did it once, and I'll never do it again. I've gone between Union Station and the Hyatt Regency O'Hare (which is only a mile or so from O'Hare), and a taxi was no problem. A taxi will take you less than a half-hour in no traffic, and will be no more than $30. Even if there is traffic, I've never experienced traffic so bad that it was unbearable...the only really sticky part is where 90 and 94 come together.

2. This doesn't quite answer your question, but I can recommend a great hotel that would just be a short cab ride from Union Station: the Best Western River North Hotel. It is clean, has a friendly staff, a lovely indoor pool, a nice bar/restaurant, and is in a good location. There are many great restaurants, art galleries, and shops within walking distance. My husband and I have stayed there twice, and were happy with it both times. The rates are very reasonable as well. Further down the same street (Ohio Street) is the Best Western Inn of Chicago...no pool, smaller rooms, but good rates, friendly staff, better restaurant, and closer to the North Michigan Avenue shops, movie theaters, etc.

3. The area around Union Station is pretty nice, a lot of business and really no residential (so there's really nothing open after mid-afternoon). If the weather is nice, you can take a water taxi from right by Union Station over to North Michigan. From there, you can go shopping, head up to the Signature Lounge on the 95th floor of the Hancock Center for a drink, or catch a shuttle to Navy Pier. If you're around in the summer, there is a free shuttle bus that stops at popular locations. If you have 2-3 hours free, take one of the boat tours of Chicago...it's fun and a great way to take some good photos!

4. I would say that just to be safe, get to the station an hour before train time. If you have first class reservations (that is, you're in a sleeper), you can use the Metropolitan lounge...it has comfy seats, TV, phones, free soft drinks, restrooms, and a really nice staff.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The subway isn't *that* bad! At least it's very cheap and gets you right in the heart of Chicago and many downtown hotels. Don't forget, Chicago suburbs may be boring to you Americans but it's *different* from our UK suburbs and thus more interesting!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Chicago doesnt have bad suburbs.
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll disagree with DaisyBumble about the subway. It takes about 45 minutes from O'Hare to the Loop. Try to match that in a taxi on a weekday evening! My wife used to travel to Chicago frequently, and on one epic Friday the taxi ride took two and a half hours.

Plus the subway costs only $1.50. In fact, they sell unlimited ride day passes so you can use the el and buses while you're there.

Try the Holiday Inn Merchandise Mart. They won't say it on their Web site, but rooms on the south and west sides have great views of the north throat of Union Station and North Western Station as well. Ask for a view of the tracks (they'll look at you strangely).

Have fun. I lived in Chicago for five years and have many good memories.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is quite an array of the "econotels" in the River North area of CHI, such as Days, Courtyard, Holiday Express, Fairfield and Choice.

I would think you could "hold it to" some US$150/ni in that area. There is an abundance of restaurants and entertainment as well (never mind that I can remember when such was a commercial area in which I would not wish to be after dark, but that is ancient history).

Go South of the River, and you are looking at brands such as Marriott, Hyatt, Omni, etc; the topper to me is that a favorite Loop haunt (the Midland) of the "low-bud" crowd is now "metamorphed" into a "W"; the obligatory US$300/ni rates are of course in place.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 06-03-2003).]

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with rresor, The blue line is a economical and safe trip. I have taken it several times from O'Hare to downtown and back, with no problems, even at night. In fact, It always seemed to fly past the vehicles that have turned the expressway into a parking lot. I have also taken a cab for the trip, which I regret. 45 minutes later, and with $40 dollars less in my wallet, I reached Union Station. The CTA subway is a good trip, much of it is above ground, so like any rail system there is much to see.
Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of much to see, You must go to the Sears tower Skydeck, it's a really short walk from Union Station. It's worth it, even if you just have an hour to kill, and you need something simple to do.
Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mr. Williams,
1. Take the SWC!!!

2. I'm surprised no one mentioned one of Lonely Planet's recommendations, and I'll add my own voice of approval: the Cass Hotel (go to website www.casshotel.com)
About $70 US per night, great location downtown just off Michigan Ave, clean, quiet (actually there were quite a few Europeans there last summer while I was there). Taxi ride to Union Station about $5.
3. for heaven's sake, spend a dollar and a half and take the blue line subway into town. Grab a taxi from wherever downtown, which is not in the least bit dangerous (during the day) and take it to the hotel. Easy. Forget expensive taxis. Use the money for dinner.
4. See Navy Pier, and just enjoy walking along the lakefront. I would strongly urge you to spend at least one night. Chicago is arguably one of America's great cities and yet has, at least somewhat, a small town feel. Very friendly folks there.
5. Get out of Los Angeles as soon as you arrive. What a dump, in my opinion. Go to San Diego or San Francisco.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your suggestions. There's only one flight from the UK to Chicago which really allows enough time to guarantee making the train the same day so it's probably going to have to be an o/n stay. I'll probably take the SWC in a standard sleeper - the Eagle/Sunset seem to get more complaints than all the other LD trains put together. And to reply to Sutton - don't worry, I don't plan to stay in LA, I'm on the first Surfliner out of there north to Santa Barbara!
Dan Adams
Member # 1177

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Dan Adams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For accommodations in the South Loop of Chicago, you might consider the Hostelling International-Chicago facility at 24 E.Congress Parkway at Wabash St., a couple of blocks from the Chicago Art Institute. The hostel is a charitable not-for-profit facility that caters to international travelers, young and old. For under $30.00 you get spotless, renovated dormitory-style rooms, most with in-suite bathrooms, in a secure building within a block of the Red Line. Check it out at www.hichicago.org.
For a wonderful Chicago breakfast tradition, one block west of Union Station, try the classic American coffee shop, Lou Mitchells at 565 W. Jackson. They open around 6 am. You won't forget this place.

In downtown Los Angeles, every 3rd and 4th Saturday at 10:00am, the Los Angeles Conservancy organization puts on 2 hour guided walks of Union Station and the intermodal transit complex. I was the only Canadian of 15 tourists and was made to feel welcome by the excellent docent/guide even though I hadn't reserved a spot by phone. Check them out at www.laconservancy.org
After your tour of LA's Union Station, you should have lunch at the famous Philippe's. This historic restaurant is just one block north of Union Station at 1001 N.Alameda St.
at N.Main. They are famous for the French Dip Sandwich and 10 cent coffee and, wait for it... $1.10 draught beer! Check them out at www.philippes.com.

Posts: 33 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, Phillipe's!!! I always try and make it there during my layovers in L.A. It's actually more like 4 or 5 blocks north of the station, not 1 block -- I forgot the name of the intersecting street, but it is on the opposite side of Alameda from LAUPT
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Thanks folks. With all these suggestions I should forget about the train journey and just see Chicago! I've heard many good things about it and will probably spend a few days there at some point, but for this year it looks as if I'll be arriving at about 7.00pm on a Sunday evening, staying o/n and getting the SWC on the Monday afternoon. Therefore I'll probably have about 4 hours (10.00 - 2.00) to see the Windy City and have lunch and I won't be short of ideas. I really like the idea of Lou Mitchell's coffee shop!!
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who're you flying with - BMI/BA/Virgin? Mr brother flew BMI to Chicago and loved it - loads of room he said. I've never been impressed by BA though, repeated trips to various destinations are always "mediocre" rather than good.

Apparently you get much longer in Albuquerque these days, that is if I can spell it! The trinkets the locals sell on the platform are worth browsing. There is a burrito van that is highly recommended, although not liking them myself means I didn't try them :-(

Geoff M.

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding hotels, if your goal is to get the maximum bang for your buck, try bidding for a room on Priceline.com. You can get a perfectly decent room in a centrally located hotel (the Loop or North Michigan Ave.) for as little as $45 per night.

Generally, I bid for 2-star or a 2.5 star, and have recently landed rooms at both the Hyatt Regency (a huge convention hotel) and the Tremont (a much smaller, older "landmark" hotel). Saved a bundle, too.

And when you're in Chicago Union Station, spend a bit of time sitting in the original 1920s waiting room. It's far more atmospheric than the gloomy, often-chaotic Metropolitan Lounge. It'll definitely put you in the mood for your trip.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How could anyone here forget to mention the Museum of Science & Industry? It's only a 20 - 30 minute cab ride from CUS, and it will provide one with memories that will loast a lifetime.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, unless I'm reading the timetable wrongly, there's only five Metra trains a day from O'Hare to Union Station and nothing between 7.58am and 4.24pm

That is quite correct. Not only that, the Metra O'Hare "Station" is in a remote location, adjacent to one of the long-term lots. The Blue Line (CTA subway) runs far more frequently and serves the terminal area. (Sorry for being the late-comer, and the info is probably out of date, but there it is nonetheless...)

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
To answer Geoff's question, I'll be flying with United. I know they're not everybody's favourite but I've never had a problem with them.
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
(oops! hit the wrong button)

Well, the booking is made. I decided on the Southwest Chief from CHI - LAX in standard bedroom. I thought $225 for the sleeper upgrade was excellent value, especially as the CZ upgrade cost me $373 last year just from Osceola - Reno (and the Pound now buys $1.67 as compared to last year's $1.42!!)

One other point to note, as I'm heading up the coast from LAX, I typed in Grover Beach (GVB)as my final destination and the rail fare from CHI - GVB was exactly the same ($122) as was CHI-LAX, so I've saved myself another $26 by not booking LAX - GVB separately. As we say in England..."Result!".

Roll on September - what are the main highlights on the SWC? Am I right in thinking that several contributors to this site work on the route?

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Main highlights of SWC route?

Day 1: Crossing the Mississippi at Ft. Madison

Day 2: Climbing Raton Pass west of La Junta, CO. Climbing Glorieta Pass. The stop in Albuquerque. Look for the Southwestern Indian handicrafts and jewelry for sale.

Day 3 (especially if you're late): Barstow to Bakersfield over Cajon Pass. Spectacular mountain railroading.

Have fun.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, when passing through Clarendon Hills (MP 18.34), you may see 140lbs of Newfoundland giving someone a walk (c'est moi).
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page