RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak E60MA.

Author Topic: Amtrak E60MA.
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Railfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How Many E60MAs are runing on the Northeast Corridor? Reply me.
Posts: 31 | From: White Plains NY USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At last report, none at present. Perhaps the rare one or two, but they are scheduled to eventually be scrapped or sold and replaced with the HHP-8. Time is quite short.
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Railfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the AEM-7s will runing on the Long Distance on the Northeast Corridor to replaced the E60MAs at this time?
Posts: 31 | From: White Plains NY USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrakman
Member # 2403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrakman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Crescent, A long "Long Distance" train, is being pulled by a AEM-7 instead of an E60. Kind of sad. . I always liked the look of the E60's pulling thier train.

------------------
~Late train+more time on the train=The best trains~

Check out my new website at http://www.trainweb.org/toddsamtrakphotos/

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
Is all of the E60s scrapped or soon will be scrapped?
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E60s will all soon be gone; whatever ones are not picked up by electric utility railroads will face the scrapper's torch. The GG-1 they were not, to be sure. I suspect that the HHP-8 will not live up to expectations as the E60's replacement in terms of handling long trains solo; at least the practice of switching to diesel at Philadelphia 30th Street seems to be coming to an end in some respects...
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking back to March 1976, I quickly learned the E-60's were not GG-1's.

That was when I had my first ride behind an E-60. Sure enough, acceleration after passing New York Ave was "sporty enough" and I had thought Amtrak had a worthy replacement for the G. However, those thoughts were dashed at Landover Jct where we slowed to a "crawl"; this was an interlocking at which a G took at track speed.

For no apparent reasons, this E-60 hauled train lost anadditional 10 minutes "over the road" between Washington and Penn.

All I could think was how did Amtrak ever think that this "off the shelf" freight locomotive ever be adapted to passenger service.

I'm "not exactly" sobbing to hear they will soon be off Amtrak's roster.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Amtrak Railfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a sad News because the E60s will be gone soon thats right?
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Not terribly sad; after all, the E60s were originally supposed to be the 125-mph locomotive, an arena they failed miserably in, having been restricted to 80 mph for decades and only permitted 90 mph in recent years. If instead the E60 had been a GG-2 (for speculation's sake), then we would never have seen the Asea Rc4 nor heard of the AEM-7.
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
Hi I want to get information on the GG-2 please.

Thank you.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG-2 was simply a reference made to the thought of why didn't Amtrak simply dust off the plans of a GG-1 and build thirty more.

I heard that term as soon as the E-60's were about and that the railfan community learned that they could best be termed a "disappointment".

But my no means whatever did Amtrak consider such a move; and I further think it would have been imprudent to have made such a case.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 07-06-2003).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
When all E60s are gone are the HHP-8 and the AEM-7s will take over?
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

That is correct, sir.
Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
Hi at this time is the Palmetto and the
Sliver Star Trains will still change Locomtives in Philadelphia PA or in Washington DC?

Amtrakman
Member # 2403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrakman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not sure about these two trains, but I do know the crescent switches from diesel power to electric power in Philidelphia.

------------------
~Late train+more time on the train=The best trains~

Check out my new website at http://www.trainweb.org/toddsamtrakphotos/

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAChooChoo
Member # 723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAChooChoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by irishchieftain:
Not terribly sad; after all, the E60s were originally supposed to be the 125-mph locomotive, an arena they failed miserably in, having been restricted to 80 mph for decades and only permitted 90 mph in recent years

The E-60's were never designed for 125 mph.
They, the P30CH's and SDP-40F's were all regeared 6-motor freight designs.
They were purchased with the goal of recouping the investment when Amtrak failed in less than 10 years.

Also, the only Florida trains still running RoadRailers and diesels from/to Philadelphia are 89 and 92

[This message has been edited by JAChooChoo (edited 07-07-2003).]

Posts: 29 | From: Baltimore MD | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

The E-60's were never designed for 125 mph

Designed? No. Intended? Absolutely, otherwise they would not have undergone high-speed tests, in which one derailed at 108 mph.

They, the P30CH's and SDP-40F's were all regeared 6-motor freight designs. They were purchased with the goal of recouping the investment when Amtrak failed in less than 10 years

So it is popularly repeated. However, most SDP40Fs that went into freight were scrapped not so long after; the Pooches didn't quite make it that far. No investment recouped, and this is in spite of Amtrak sticking around past a decade. Also, six-motor locomotives do not automatically mean freight engines--the X996 from SNCF was a six-motor passenger engine which ran at 137 mph regularly on its home rails.

Amtrak Railfan
Member # 2579

Rate Member
How many E60MAs are runing today?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page