RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cross-country trip

Author Topic: Cross-country trip
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking Amtrak this October from Sacramento to Springfield Mass., changing trains in Chicago. If I check a bag, will I have to get the bag myself when changing trains? Any suggestions as to whether this (checking a bag) is a viable option or should I try to get everything into carry-on luggage?

By the way, this forum is absolutely terrific, especially for the first-time train traveler!

Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never check my bags in my 756,000 miles travel having heard too many horror stories. Pack everything you need and you will be fine. On my web site are ten tips for train riding, You might want to check it out.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Good luck and have a great trip.
Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you have a steamer trunk or lots of very heavy luggage, take your bags with you. It is just chaos in Chicago trying to retrieve checked baggage. As well I would recommend that all your bags be placed in your bedroom and not the luggage rack in the lower part of the sleeper--that is not a secure area, and bags sometimes go missing.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a sleeper from Sacramento to Chicago, I suggest that you put in it the lower level luggage rack of your sleeping car.
I do it every trip Im in a sleeper.
Works Fine.
As for the east Coast train I have no idea about luggage racks because I never been on an east coast train with the Viewliners.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually do not check bags either any more, even though when I did, Amtrak never lost it. They just delayed in getting it to me when I got off or transferred. If you are travelling alone and have a standard bedroom in either a Viewliner or Superliner train, you should be fine in keeping the bag with you in the room - just don't bring anything too big or over do it. If so, then perhaps store it on the lower level of the Superliner and then check it from Chicago east. The transfer in Chicago can be a little hectic and trying to retrieve luggage can just add to the frustration. The Viewliner and Eastern single level trains only have overhead storage in the coaches and in-room storage in the Viewliner (like you would on the Superliner). No common area luggage rack on the Viewliner.

If you are travelling with another person or have a deluxe room, then little bit of a different story.

Their is a central baggage claim area in the Chicago station. You claim your luggage there. It can take anywhere from 20 to 60 minutes to get the luggage in Chicago. I have done carry-on baggage that includes a suitcase and backpack/computer bag. Purse does not count as carry on bag, and sometimes (depending on the attendant) neither does a computer bag.

Springfield Mass is a much smaller station than Chicago, obviously, so a lot less chaotic and you get your bags faster. Retrieve in the station.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryann
Member # 2585

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there room under the bed for luggage?

We will be going from West Palm Beach -change trains in Orlando, then a delux bedroom to Tucson.

I was going to check 2 -29" rolling duffle bags but now I'm nervous. Is there storage within the car? Thanks

Posts: 32 | From: westpalmbeach,fl | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, on a Superliner sleeper...

There is a storage rack at the entrance vestibule. It's open and common to all.

From my few times in a standard room, there is just enough space for a cosmetic case or small rucksack ... especially if you are travelling with someone else.

A deluxe room has a moderate amount of storage. A four-suiter bag, a couple of overnighters, and coats (there's a coat closet) fit OK.

I've had no problems checking luggage particularly on the California Zephyr. The baggage car is attended all the time.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no problems checking luggage at Orlando and Los Angeles on the Sunset Limited. Go for it.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you can't carry it, don't bring it".
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't really get anything under the "beds" as they serve as couches during the day. There's mechancial parts underneath to allow for the conversion from couch to bed - this blocks up any space.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your helpful advice. I'm traveling alone, deluxe sleeper all the way. I'm concerned with the Chicago connection going east, since it looks like the Zephyr is always at least 3+ hours late. If I have a close connection (if I get to make it at all...) sounds like having to get checked baggage would only make it worse.
Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryann
Member # 2585

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies, Gilbert I agree with you. However, on this trip - the train is just the first leg of a 7 wk. trip that will take us from desert to Alaska.

Trying to pack the minimum for each climate-for 2 - will will be a job.

Posts: 32 | From: westpalmbeach,fl | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"since it looks like the Zephyr is always at least 3+ hours late. If I have a close connection (if I get to make it at all...) sounds like having to get checked baggage would only make it worse."

They often hold up the eastbound departures out of Chicago for the long distance trains coming in from the West. And when they do, they make some special arrangements for people with checked bags to get them and go. I think you will be fine with leaving some luggage in the rack downstairs in your sleeping car and some in your room as well. I have travelled alone in a deluxe room many times and have done this before without a problem. The extra space really helps.

If by chance you do miss the connection, inquire if there are rooms available on the Three Rivers (I doubt it but you never know). The Three Rivers departs out of Chicago at 10:30 p.m. and goes into NYC - can catch a train there for Springfield as well (not sure how late though). You'll probably be fine in making the connection.

If you have never been on the California Zephyr before, you will love it. It is one of my top two favorite trains. I spent most of the daylight hours in the Sightseer Lounge glued to the window on the CA Zephyr. Be sure to venture outside of your room! They usually have a guide in the Sightseer Lounge giving commentary between Sacramento and Reno. Met some really nice people on this train. Hopefully your train will not be too delayed getting over the mountains and you get some good daylight sightseeing.

Enjoy!

JoeR
Member # 2633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ladylawyer,

What day are you leaving Sacramento on? I will be taking the Zephyr in October as well, leaving San Francicso on the 8th. Wonder if we'll be on the same train?

Posts: 38 | From: Highland, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Joe...I'm leaving on 10/16 and returning on 10/28. Did you notice that the Zephyr was 11 hours late one day this past week???

[This message has been edited by ladylawyer (edited 07-28-2003).]

JoeR
Member # 2633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't noticed that actually...

Don't let that discourage you though. Just go with an open mind and you'll be fine! Too bad we're not travelling together.

Posts: 38 | From: Highland, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember every trip is an adventure!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Lady Law..

I just took the zephyr back from san fran last week. 1st long train ride for me. I have a few observations for you.

1. I had a great time (alone). I would do it again in a heart beat.

2. You got about 6 inches of hieght under the couch (bed by night) so nothing but dirty laundry and THIN bags will fit. It is about 3 feet wide times 2 so garment bags not overstuffed will fit. There is a shelf above the chair which fit my bag(about 24x12X18)and kept it out of the way. (I had the deluxe sleeper too)

3. Don't forget things in the closet (about 6-8" wide) because you will forget when you de-train. Same for under the seat. I had to go back to get stuff I forgot.

4. Tip your dining car and lounge attendents well. They instantly remembered my name and were real nice to me.

5. From the stories I have heard and the travelouges I have read online, to think that a train traveling 2400 miles in 56 hours will be remotely on time is foolish. I weighed the options and decided to spend the night in chicago and take the United flight out of Ohare at 8AM the next day. It arrived at albany at 11AM nonstop (same time the train was supposed to). Turns out the train arrived 5 hours late into chicago and the connecting passengers on the train to BOS/NYC were put up in a hotel overnight and put on the next Lake shore limited the following day. They arrived 24 hours after I did. The flight and hotel were about $350 which was close to the extra train fare with sleeper. BTW, the Chicago Hyatt (booked through hotels.com) was one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. And I heard that the tracks to springfield are in repair and they bus people from albany anyway. Rent a car or get the bus for less head ache.

6. I took this trip only for the train ride. It was soooo cool.

7. You will see some of the most spectacular scenery in your life.

8. If you drink, BYOB. $4.50 a pop is steep.

9. your sleeper will not lock unless you are in it. You get over this in about 2 hours. People on the train ain't going to steal your shit cause they got no place to go. This from a paranoid new yorker so you know it is true.

Post if you have more questions. I am still in the afterglow of a GREAT trip. And tip your sleeping car attendent at the end of the trip.

Jon

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
woops, forgot one more imporant tip. Even if you don't use the top bunk in the deluxe, unclip it and latch it in the down position particularly on the second night. The tracks in Nebraska (when you hit the next morning) are bumpy and the bunk makes a gawd awful racket a 5 in the morning.

Live and learn,

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more addition to Jon A's comments - concerning pulling down the top bunk in the Superliner sleepers. I always sleep on the bottom bunk (since there is a window there and there is not in the top bunk in the Superliner sleepers), but I pull the top bunk down and use it to store my suitcases where they are not in the way. I don't like leaving suitcases in the lower level storage racks, after the experience I had in 1993 when the suitcases I put in the downstairs rack were mistakenly taken off by an elderly couple who detrained in the middle of the night and did not realize they had someone else's suitcases with them.

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 08-06-2003).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: "People on the train ain't going to steal your shit cause they got no place to go."

Sure they do. They can get off at the next station.

Thefts aren't completely unheard of on Amtrak trains, particularly late at night in the coaches.

Even when you're traveling in a sleeping car, it's smart to hide (or better yet take with you) any valuables -- camera, cell phone, Discman, etc. -- whenever you leave the compartment for any longer than it takes to use the toilet. And always keep your wallet with you.

Always pull the large curtain across the compartment's entrance before closing the sliding door, too.

While some car attendants are good about keeping an eye out for anyone who doesn't belong, other car attendants have a tendency to get "distracted." And depending on where your sleeper is located in the train, you may have crew members and passengers from other cars passing your door.

I'm not trying to induce paranoia in any new travelers out there. But valuables can and do "disappear" wherever strangers mingle -- on airliners, cruise ships, and even Amtrak trains. Just use common sense.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 08-06-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Thanks for all the great advice. By the time I get on the train, I'll be prepared for just about anything. I've come to the realization that I might be spending the night in Chicago...and while I prefer not to, it won't be a great shock it if happens. I did notice that the trains weren't going into Springfield the last few days...but did today. I got the valuables thing all figured out...just have to convince myself that I don't need to bring every article of clothing I own or my whole cupboard full of cosmetics and hair care stuff (it's a girl thing...)
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you find yourself with time to spare at Chicago Union Station, don't waste it all in the "New Section" -- and especially not in Amtrak's gloomy, often overcrowded Metropolitan Lounge.

Instead, spend a few minutes sitting on the old oak benches in the station's monumental, 1920s Waiting Hall. It's very peaceful and atmospheric -- an excellent place to take a breather between trains.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Yes....as Dilly said,

Use common sense. Pull the curtain and keep things out of sight. But don't get to spastic that you are surrounded by a bunch of bad people.

Didn't mean to imply that you should not take the usual precautions.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page