RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Texas Eagle Consist

Author Topic: Texas Eagle Consist
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I went to Downtown St. Louis to catch a glimpse at the Texas Eagle.

When it came in I noticed it only had 1 engine!
How long ago did the Eagle start being run by only one engine?

I also noticed that there was only 1 sleeping car and that was on the end of the train, and usually the LA sleeper is on the end.
My question is, Did Amtrak stop putting a sleeping car on the Eagle for passengers going from Chicago to San Antonio or are you allowed to get a room in the LA sleeper or Transition Car from lets say STL to San Antonio?

Did you ever notice on a train with one engine that pulls 8 superliner cars that the engine looks really puny?
I thought so

[This message has been edited by UncleBuck44 (edited 07-27-2003).]

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know the answer to the first few questions, but those engines can haul a *lot* of cars on their own, even on grades. Apparently the main reason for doubling-up the engines was in case one broke down. However, now Amtrak are trying to save money, cost is more important than reliability. Go figure. Having said that though, never had an engine fail on any of my travels, some 30000 miles worth.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5/28/03 was the effective date of the change.

One sleeper was eleminated. Rooms 17 - 24 in the transition sleeper are open for sale with passengers restricted to the upper level and rear portion of the car. On days when the LAX section does not operate, the sleeper terminates at San Antonio. Train attendant responsible for the transition car sleeper space is also respnsible for the smoking coach behind the lounge although the smoking area is supposed to be the responsibility of the attendant covering the other two coaches.

In another cost cutting change, meals in the diner are not available between Dallas and San Antonio although the diner remains in the consist. Diner crews overnight at Ft Worth.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uncle Buck, this summer at Dallas Union Station I've seen the EB Eagle with as many as three, and as few as one, units. Only twice, though, were three pulling. Also, since springtime, there's been a Sightseer Lounge every day each way. rmiller is correct about selling BRs in the Transition Sleeper for revenue.

The Dallas agent told me the Eagle has been very full all summer. Also, one of the station employees at Fort Worth had a heart attack loading baggage in our lovely Texas sunshine. While he is mending, the rest of the station crews are working seven-day weeks.

------------------
_________Thë Çhîeƒ
_|_|_|_|_

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's good to hear that the Texas Eagle appears to have its Sightseer Lounge back (full-time). Not good to hear about the cutback in the dining car and sleeping car. But, if the Transition Dorm car can help to offset the loss, that's good - and I hope it works out so it could be instituted on other routes. Anyone have any feedback on Amtrak using the Transition car for revenue service?

As for the locomotive reduction - this confuses me - Amtrak is flush with the Genesis units - couldn't they operate one and turn the other one off and just keep it tacked on as a reserve? Course I guess someone would have to be trained in starting the engine??? I was on the Maple Leaf once and our engine stalled and supposedly the engineer couldn't figure out how to start it (had to call the Chicago maintenance facility - took forever). he finally got it going. If an engine dies out on the road for a long distance train - that could be a nightmare. And it has happened!

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turning an engine off is not cost effective - you are then hauling (guessing here) 200 tons of non-revenue deadweight. More weight = more fuel = more money. More engines on the move = more miles per engine = more wear and tear = more money.

Having a train with one engine fail with its associated compensation to customers and host railroad, lets say once a month, may well be more cost effective than hauling a spare Genesis on every train. I imagine that's the way Amtrak are looking at it right now.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok - that makes sense now. Was not thinking clearly on that one! Thanks geoffm!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry,are you saying that there is only one sleeper even on the days when it connects with the Sunset? I could understand this in offpeak/winter season but surely this is a ridiculous proposal in the middle of the summer when most sleepers on the LD west routes are booked solid? Has the sleeper been re-assigned to another train? This sounds like death by a thousand cuts - make the journey so unappealing people stop using it and then use that to justify closure. I can't help thinking that the Eagle may well be the first to go if there are any route cuts. I know that the Senator for Texas is very pro-rail, but there were many pro-rail politicians in Idaho, Oregon and Wyoming and they couldn't save The Pioneer.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Correction to self - 110 to 120 tons. Strange as I would have thought they'd be heavier, being much larger than UK diesels which are around the 100-120 tons mostly.

Mr W - the Eagle *was* scrapped a few years ago for a while. Luckily the states saved it after a huge outcry but I agree it is being run down again. I went on it a year ago last October and it was virtually empty between San Antonio and Fort Worth - good to hear it has been busier this summer.

Geoff M.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On May 1, the Eagle lost its only sleeper to the Sunset Limited. My wife and I had to rough it in coach all the way to Chicago. I hated it.

There was speculation that we could be in the Transition Sleeper, but that did not happen. Unfortunately, we left Joy Smith's phone number at the house, or I would have been calling her about the situation.

It was not a pleasant start to our vacation.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the Texas Eagle last October and it was pretty empty from San Antonio to Chicag. I was only one of two occupying the Deluxe sleepers. We had a really old and run down Supleriner I as well. The whole consist, for that matter, scraped the bottom of the barrel. But this trains seems to run in waves of being very well patronized to bottoming out. It's potential is underestimated and it has a lot of hometown support, which is good. So how many sleepers does the Sunset consist usually consist of? When I rode the Texas Eagle, we only had one sleeper. Is this train supposed to have two sleepers when it connects with the Sunset (one for San Antonio to Chicago passengers and one for those bound for LA)?
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For as long as I remember its had two sleepers, one behind the Transition sleeper for Chicago to San Antonio passengers, and then there was one on the back(along with a coach)for the passengers wishing to connect with the sunset in San Antonio.

But from what I saw the other day, it had only the sleeper on the back for the passengers going to LA

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rmiller stated that passengers were put in the transition sleeper, in the upper level rooms 17-24. Does anyone know if these are standard or deluxe rooms? In the regular sleeper the deluxe's are lettered A-E. Surely if you purchased a deluxe room Amtrax wouldn't be placing you in a standard room? Or course knowing Amtrax I guess I shouldn't be surprised if they tried that.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The transition sleeper is all standard rooms. It was built for crew members, not revenue.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that Amtrak is using a single locomotive.

I have heard they are doing this on other routes, the Cardinal being one.

As far as the sleeper goes, I was able to select a standard room online for a trip this fall, but nothing booked yet.

I'm planning on just riding coach, but asking for an upgrade to a sleeper while on the train, if avalible.

If the transition sleeper is the only thing running, I wonder if the conductor would be less likely to try to fill the space.

Mr Williams is right by saying that this is a train killing technique. Just remember the recent KC cut.

Glad to hear that the lounge is back.

Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaglefan
Member # 2681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eaglefan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my northbound trip in May,
there were two sleepers and mine was busy.
Several of the rear sleeper passengers were complaining that they had to walk the length of the train to go eat. Many were elderly retirees and such from California and Arizona. I'm sure that Amtrak regularly got some complaints from these people that the first class should be at the front of the train (even though that would complicate the switching requirements in San Antonio where the trains come together and separate).

On my southbound trip (after 5/28), my sleeping car was sold out and I heard from another passenger that the coach seats were oversold (one coach was lost from the consist in CHI) and Amtrak was asking/bumping passengers from CHI-STL to take the late night train instead of the Eagle which left in mid-afternoon from CHI.
They said that those who would accept were asked to sit in the lounge car until they reached their station. Note that this is an all-reserved train!

The meals from FTW-San Antonio were a cold, box lunch for supper southbound and was OK but not thrilling. The southbound train served us from the expensive but filling dinner menu at Lunchtime (just before Dallas) and was consequently not busy since the prices and portions were too much for a daytime meal (as voiced by several patrons).

Northbound the only breakfast was a microwaved or cold meal from the lounge car and was generally unappetizing for the sleeping car passengers. The coach passengers complained that they had to wait to get any breakfast until the line was gone from the sleeping car. Everything was a bit confused and people didn't listen to the announcements.

Northbound the lunch was a microwaved or deli sandich from the lounge car which was only available for sleeping car passengers. After all sleepers got their choice, coach passengers were allowed to buy their choice.

The new "no diner" rule from San Antonio to Fort Worth made the sleeping car a less desirable alternative, especially northbound since it is a daytime trip with two microwaved or cold meals.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UncleBuck44:
[B]For as long as I remember its had two sleepers, one behind the Transition sleeper for Chicago to San Antonio passengers, and then there was one on the back(along with a coach)for the passengers wishing to connect with the sunset in San Antonio.

Posts: 1 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also believe that the City of New Orleans has been running with a single unit. Any subtraction of cars though?

[This message has been edited by Italiancanuck89 (edited 08-02-2003).]

Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikesmith:
The transition sleeper is all standard rooms. It was built for crew members, not revenue.

Actually, there were built for BOTH crew space and revenue space, but until recently on the Eagle, they haven't been used that way. There's more info on this page. http://www.narprail.org/h0306.htm Look under June 6th and scroll down a little to the third news item on the page.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I don't know how true this is, but on my May 2003 trip (with no sleeper car), I specifically asked for a room in the transition sleeper. I was told by the car attendant that would be a violation of their union contract with Amtrak. He said "Passengers are not allowed in the crew quarters."

And at NARP, the article states that "some" transition sleepers were built for a combination of revenue and crew quarters. There is a door that sections off the crew compartment in those cars.

I wonder if that was the Amtrak employee's rationalization about his union contract?

Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the current consist?

LAX - CHI

and

CHI - LAX

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One has to answer with consists for two trains: Eagle, and Sunset Ltd:

Texas Eagle (Sunset Ltd Days)
2132|2232 [CHI-SAS] Superliner Dorm/Sleeper
2130|2230 [CHI-LAX] Superliner Sleeper
----|---- [CHI-SAS] Superliner Diner/Lounge ("Cross-Country Café")
----|---- [CHI-SAS] Superliner Sightseer Lounge (or C.C.C.)
2110|2210 [CHI-SAS] Superliner Coach/Baggage
2111|2211 [CHI-SAS] Superliner Coach
2115|2215 [CHI-LAX] Superliner Coach
3210|3220 [CHI-STL] Superliner Coach*
* seasonal

Sunset Ltd
----|---- [NOL-LAX] Heritage Baggage
0131|0231 [NOL-LAX] Superliner Dorm/Sleeper
0130|0230 [NOL-LAX] Superliner Sleeper
----|---- [NOL-LAX] Superliner Diner
----|---- [NOL-LAX] Superliner Sightseer Lounge
0113|0213 [NOL-LAX] Superliner Coach
0112|0212 [NOL-LAX] Superliner Coach
2115|2215 [CHI-LAX] Superliner Coach
2130|2230 [CHI-LAX] Superliner Sleeper

Hope this helps.

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A review of the website suggests that there will be a CHI-SAS Sleeper line Daily effective mid-June.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Chief

Is LAX - CHI just the exact opposite?

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
YW Room Service.
Eastbound (LA-Cgo) is the right column numbers:
| 22xx
| 02xx
Capisce?

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies if this has been discussed/answered before, but sometimes it's hard to keep up from 5,000 miles away.

What happened to the proposal for a daily LAX-CHI Eagle with the stub train SAS-NOL? I remember there was a large consultation proposal document aiming for a 2011 start!

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
I know the TRT-909 is doing a little work on the Eagle route right now. This thing is interesting to watch!

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=117y0s9&s=7

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page