RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Reservations with VISA card

Author Topic: Reservations with VISA card
the_maitre
Member # 2632

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for the_maitre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it's the new guy back with another question.
Everything is a "GO" for the Autotrain trip this November with Mom - woohoo. BUT - when I tried to make my reservation online - my VISA card was declined. Called the 1-800 # and same thing.
Now - before some wise guy suggests using another card or something else I should tell you that I am the VISA coordinator for the bank the card is issued from and when researching why the card was declined I found out it was because Amtrak attempts to force through VISA reservations with a $0 dollar figure (meaning they can send through a charge for 'any' amount later). VISA does not allow this (mechants depending on type must at least send through a $1.00 pre-auth (gas stations) or +- 20% for hotel/travel merchants).
Has anyone else had similar problems with Amtrak reservations and if so - how did they get around it? BTW - someone should tell Amtrak they could loose thier ability to take VISA cards by not following VISA regulations - but that is another topic.

Erik

Posts: 26 | From: southbridge, MA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting problem . . .

However, with all due respect, it seems that as a Visa coordinator for a bank YOU would be the expert on this. I would think that you would have an extensive network of contacts in the Visa world to slog through this; probably a lot more than anyone here, based on chance.

My only thought (as a Visa merchant) is a possible difference between credit and debit cards?

Please let us know if you come up with a solution yourself. Or hopefully someone here may have had the same experience and solved it.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No recent experience with Visa; other cards have worked fine. Is that restriction something that only Visa has?
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_maitre
Member # 2632

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for the_maitre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well yes - as the VISA coordinator at the bank I called VISA themselves and was told that Amtrak has been a consistent problem with certain VISA cards - VISA's solution was to pay by other means because VISA's attempts to get Amtrak to correct thier billing procedures have had no effect because Amtrak doesn't wish to acknowledge that there is even a problem in the first place. Ah - the business model at it's finest - hide the head in the sand and pretend the problem will go away.

Erik

Posts: 26 | From: southbridge, MA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, the problem is simply: Well, it works for us, if it's a problem for you, then sort it out yourselves! Too common an excuse for many companies, more's the pity.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to book my trip over the internet using my VISA and the card was rejected. Called Amtrak and they made the reservation, used the same card, and had no problem
Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you kids could definitely use one of those new-fangled Amtrak Guest Rewards MASTERCARDS.

Works every time. And you get extra Guest Rewards travel points, too.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I use my American Express for everything from train tickets to groceries and there are never any problems. Don't even have to worry about overreaching a credit limit, either!
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just booked a trip today CHI-MEM and used American Express - no problems here.

However, be mindful that you best have the card handy when booking as "every so often' a field pops up at the Amtrak site and wants to know "something else' such as an ID# included on the card.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That "something else' such as an ID#" is getting used at a lot of places these days, both in stores & for online purchases. It's a security measure which helps prevent a stolen card number from being used.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been driving me nuts for the better part of a year. I am glad to find out that I am not the crazy one. My Visa does not work on the web site OR the 800 #. The amtrak folks on the phone tell me it is because my billing address does not match he billing address I am providing them. A call to VISA said everything was fine and it "should" be working. I do have a MC but it is not my business card and is a pain.

Any one with THIS problem???

BW, hello everyone. Just found you this evening.

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would tell Amtrak that you spoke with your credit card company and they saw no problems. (You may also wish to find if from your cc people if Amtrak requested an authorization.) Ask to speak with an Amtrak customer service supervisor and insist that they have a threeway call with the cc company. That should cool Amtrak to the point of accepting the card.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JonA...I did have this happen once before when ordering online. Was told it had something to do with the "middle man" company that checked the validity of the card. It was a real pain...do you use a PO Box by any chance as your address?
Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes maam. It would be a PO box. You think that is it?

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_maitre
Member # 2632

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for the_maitre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news all...
I emailed Amtrak informing them of my situation, my verification with bank processors and VISA. I mentioned that their procedure for authorizing tickets using a $0 (zero dollar amount) was unheard of by VISA and several VISA customers might possibly be utilizing other transportaion methods because of the inability to book with Amtrak - also mentioned that a formal complaint could possibly be filed with VISA by an unhappy VISA card holder causing VISA to inspect Amtrak's card approval procedures.

Strangely enough - the very next day I attempted to use my VISA card and - surprise...it worked flawlessly.

It's good to be on a 1st name basis with people at VISA corporate. ;-)

Erik

ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
JonA...wouldn't be surprised. The Amtrak agent didn't want to send the tickets to my PO Box...gave me some lame excuse about someone in the post office putting them in the wrong box!
NSEONE
Member # 2706

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for NSEONE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I USED MY VISA TONIGHT AND IT WORKED WELL..

Posts: 3 | From: TUSCALOOSA, AL USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page