RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak conductors guilty of theft

Author Topic: Amtrak conductors guilty of theft
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Albany, NY Business Review on Thursday 8-14 reported the guilty plea of two Amtrak conductors who had stolen cash and credit card receipts received from passengers who paid on-board the train.
Amtraks Inspector General reports that about
$1.4 million had been stolen nationally, also
that 110 condutors and assistant conductors have been fired and 20 have resigned.
How sad that we have this news at a time when many are trying to provide support for Amtrak that would save jobs for employees as well as continue service to customers.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a link to this article?
Two conductors guilty of theft does not surprise me. However, 1.4 million stolen nationally, and 110 conductors & assistant conductors being fired & 20 resigning is hard to believe.
I'd like to research this story. Thank you.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, was skeptical that 110 conductors were involved. But here's a link to the story. It is pretty limited on details, but there may be something to it. http://albany.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2003/08/11/daily35.html

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get rail news from Railnews.net. The link to their story should be found at this:
http://albany.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2003/08/11/daily.html

It is certainly bad news, and tho the story does not specify, my interpretation is that the firings and resignations from the $1,4M of stolen funds occurred over some period of time.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the link to the story.
If the numbers are correct I sure hope Mr. Gunn is speaking directly to the Amtrak Police Chief and ordering a full internal criminal investigation into this matter.
Congress is even more unlikely to give money to Amtrak knowing that many of it's own conductors are stealing in huge amounts.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes me wonder how much cash "disappears" in Amtrak's dining and cafe cars.

In Europe (particularly in Italy), some conductors have turned the art of ripping off passengers into a theatrical event.

It goes like this. When the passenger pulls out his/her ticket or railpass, the conductor dramatically announces that the ticket/railpass isn't valid on his train -- even though it very clearly is. He then demands an extortionate "surcharge."

If the passenger meekly coughs up the extra cash, it smoothly disappears -- not into an official railroad fare wallet, but straight into the conductor's pocket. No receipt is ever offered or given.

If, on the other hand, the passenger refuses to play along with the blatant shakedown, the conductor goes totally ballistic. He'll curse. He'll flail his arms menacingly. He'll threaten to call the police and have the passenger arrested at the next station.

It's an impressive performance -- which grows even more impressive if you shout back. Once the verbal brawl screeches to its inevitable stalemate, the conductor will convincingly storm away down the aisle, still yelling and flailing his arms, and disappear into the next car -- never to be seen again.

I've been the target of this brazen little scam several times over the years. I've also seen it pulled on other passengers -- usually tourists.

I've never paid up. But the more easily intimidated usually do. So if any of you Alpha Males still dream of embarking on a highly lucrative railroad career. . . .

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 08-18-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this speaks volumes about the integrity of these folks.

It should not be anything new to Congress. The news periodically has articles about employees who abuse purchasing cards in their possession. While that is not the same as ripping off a paying customer, it is an example of our "tax dollars at work".

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really old news. These conductors have been gone over 2 years. The management in Albany also has been replaced.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be two years old but it is news to most of us. I have never seen or heard of this in any news reports nor any threads posted to this site. From the responses to this thread only one of us knew, and apparently chose not to pass on the info.

Anyway, it is still very disheartening to those of us who are trying to support Amtrak
however "old" it may be.

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, it's not old news.

Roughly 1,200 conductors and assistant conductors (and who knows how many diner and lounge car employees) are still on the railroad's payroll.

Right this minute, cash is changing hands on board dozens of Amtrak trains coast to coast. You can rest assured that some crew members are continuing to find "creative" ways to enhance their take-home pay. And only the stupid or careless will ever get caught.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 08-23-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page