RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » LA-CHI-MSP-PDX-LA Trip Comments

Author Topic: LA-CHI-MSP-PDX-LA Trip Comments
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning my first Amtrak trip in 20 years. Southwest Chief LA-CHI, visit friend. Empire Builder CHI-MSP visit family. Empire Builder CHI-PDX, 4 hour layover to catch Coast Starlight to LA.
Will reserve a sleeper on overnight trips.
Should I consider another route for viewing, timing or cost? Is 4 hours enough in Portland? I can go anytime from early November trough mid December. Is travel cheaper on certain days/weeks? What advice can you offer?
Thanks for your comments.

[This message has been edited by paulr (edited 09-18-2003).]

Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Portland connection works fine barring major delay of Builder. Alternately, take Builder to Seattle, overnight hotel and taik #11 next day. "Best Scenery" is CZ with Sierra Nevada and Rockies, but difficult connection out of LA. Either have to lay over a day in Bay area or you can take the "overnight" (1am bus to BFD) then San Joaquin to Sac and catch the CZ. Day of week (other than holiday blackouts) won't make any price difference. Probably cheaper for coach with an "All_Aboard" 2 zone railpass than regular coach fares (unless you can find some "rail-sale" stuff).
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your first trip in 20 years? Welcome back! I had a 16 year absence and got back into it in 2000. I got hooked, but at the same time I became furious with our federal government for its shabby treatment of Amtrak which led me to a passion for rail advocacy.

You'll find many things that haven't changed much. Trains are run pretty much the same way they were back then. On my recent trips I have found that the on board crews are significantly better than what we had in the '70s and early '80s, but service is still rather inconsistent.

My one pet peeve with Amtrak's Superliners is the rest rooms, which are much too tiny for a long trip, and everything is laid out wrong. I remember the streamliners that Amtrak inherited in its early days, and what I miss most are the spacious rest rooms.

But all things considered it is still a great way to travel.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 09-18-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off topic but I had to mention this.

I agree with Mr. toy about the rest rooms. But I'm not old enough to have experienced heritage cars. But I do remember Hi-Levels. I would often walk the entire train just to get to the Dorm car. But what a rest room. It was one half of the entire downstairs! I liked the foot pedal sink. Much better than the Superliner sinks. And even though the dump on track toilets were not environmentally sound, they never clogged like they do now. And you wouldn't have to smell a filled up waste tank. I miss those Hi-Levels.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished the (Rail Sale) MSP-PDX round trip. Unfortunately you will miss some great scenery around Glacier due to the shortness of the days in November. You can always hope for a full moon, clear skies and snow cover. But sunrise on the Columbia River is beautiful.

Due to the split in Spokane, the observation lounge runs right behind the engine to PDX, If you stand on your tip-toes at the forward door you can see over the engine ahead of the train (and breath the diesel fumes). Pretty loud whistle too! Strange, but they lock that car up til the attendent shows up in the morning. There is also no diner Spokane-PDX so they have some ready made breakfast package for 1st class.

The Empire Builder is running almost 100% on time or close to it (I live close enough to the MSP station to here the whistle). Extreme weather could change that. You should have little risk connecting to the Starlight at PDX. At PDX, baggage will stow your carry-ons for $1.50/pc and the bus and light rail service downtown is free. Coming the other direction is riskier because the northbound CS is typically late.

There are get-out-and-stretch-your-legs stops in ABQ, La Junta, Minot, and Havre (20-40 min). There is schedule padding at these service stops and the trains may arrive early. Exceptional scenery at Flagstaff, ABQ-Trinidad. North Dakota and Montana have a lot of "vastness" and not much change for a whole day.

I know the CZ has the best scenery, but the EB and SWC both move along at a pretty good clip and generally run on time. Have a great trip!

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'd take the trip in the reverse order. California coastline would be in the morning as would the EB section through Glacier.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the previous point about taking the trip in reverse. Scenically, it makes more sense.

Regardless of how you route your trip, you might also enjoy spending some "quality time" soaking up some classic American railroad station atmosphere.

Chicago Union Station's monumental 1920s waiting room is still intact. And the amazing stations in L.A. (1939) and Portland, Oregon (1896) survive in their entirety.

Allow yourself some extra time to enjoy the old depots -- because they just don't make 'em like that anymore.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 09-24-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page