RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip Report-Amtrak's Cardinal through the New River Gorge

Author Topic: Trip Report-Amtrak's Cardinal through the New River Gorge
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just updated my website with a new trip report on my latest adventure-a trip on Amtrak's Cardinal from Cincinnati, OH to White Sulphur Springs, WV via the New River Gorge. Enjoy!
-Coachclass www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only ride through the Gorge by the light of day occurred during September 1962, or now 41 years ago.

When I booked my travel as part of a New York-Chicago trip routed PRR-Wash-RF&P-Richmond-C&O-Cinci-L&N-Memphis-IC-Chi, I simply had in mind to add some rail mileage. I had no knowledge whatever of this scenic "highlight".

I boarded the C&O FFV at Richmond at the then-quite decrepit Main St Stationh (of course also started this trip from "Old Penn" in New York)at about 10PM, pulled down the bed and went to sleep - awoke when arriving at White Sulphur Spg. My roomette was on the "engineer' side. Shortly after leaving WSS, the Porter suggested might I wish to move to an empty Bedroom on the "fireman's" side for the balance of the trip. Oh well never look a gift horse in the mouth. Shortly before the Gorge, he advised me to keep a look out the imaculately clean window (as was all Chessie equipment back then). I couldn't believe it - the Gorge is truly a scenic treasure and really only visible from the train or a kayak.

Wisely, this then-college student found $5 to give for a well earned tip.

I thank Mr. Coachclass for his interesting report.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coachclass,
Nice report! Inspires me to take the cardinal next june. I have to go to Chicago from the east coast.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode theCardinal in the early 90's from Chicago to NY.This train ran through then.As soon as I got on,I met a friend getting on tte next car.I knew he and I were on vacation at the same time but never realized that we would be on this train together!It was a beautiful ride through the New RiverGorge.I had a room in Slumbercoach,and had a great lunch in the diner.We had to set out two coaches in Indianapolis due to an emergency stop we had made earlier.We sat in the station for half an hourbefore Amtrak brought up a coach from Beach Grove.Altogether this was one of my favorite Amtrak routes.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ve ridden the Cardinal several times. I m going to ride it next weekend. For a little over $25 on the Rail Sale I couldnt resist. Im going to fly from BWI to Chicago next Saturday,take the subway to downtown and ride back Saturday night. I already have an unreserved ticket from Was to BWI,so I made a nice weekend trip for myself. I figure next weekend the foliage will be close to or at peak. I only wish they still had Superliner cars.Sittigin the cafe car is not quite the same as a Sightseer Lounge Car.
Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it right that the Cardinal is going to be extended to New York again wef the new timetable on the 3 days it runs throughout, and does it still run 7 days between Chicago - Indianapolis since the demise of the Louisville train?
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Oct 10 NARP Hotline (www.narprail.org) the Cardinal will be extended to NYC in the new Oct 26 timetable. Departs NY 9:25am, Arrives NY 11:30pm.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coachclass,

Friends of mine think I am nuts because my idea of a good time on a day off is to hop on the train at Rhinecliff NY and go to Penn Station, then turn around ASAP on the next train and come home. There is no better way to relax than to sit on a train as far as I am concerned.

You, my friend, compared to me, are nuts!

Thank you for your report, your website is now part of "my favorites"

Keep it up, you are the man!

Thank you,

Jon

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page