RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Zephyr trip delays

Author Topic: Zephyr trip delays
a1
Member # 2808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone. I'm new to Amtrak travel so I want to address a potential problem to all you rail travel enthusiasts out there.

I am debating whether to drive to Chicago in early December or take the Zephyr. I appreciate the general information about this trip posted in other threads on this board. It has been very helpful to give me a reasonable idea of what the trip would be like.

However, I have not seen that much info here regarding delays. I realize that many unforeseen problems can arise on any given trip, but I have heard from other sources that long distance Amtrak trains are chronically late. Is this true?

My specific concern is that the Zephyr will be late in arriving at Chicago from Emeryville. The schedule calls for the train to arrive at 3:30pm. The car rental office at Union Station closes at 6pm. Is there a significant possibility the train will be more that 21/2 hours late?

Thanks to all respondents.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had shared your concern prior to taking the CZ. Since, my wife & I have taken the CZ from Emeryville to Chicago several times and have always arrived within one hour of the scheduled arrival time.
However, once we took the City of New Orleans from NOLA to Chicago and arrived ten hours late. The Hertz counter was closed at Union Station. We took a short cab ride to the Hertz downtown location (cab fare about $8.00) which is open until 9:00pm and was able to pick-up our rental car at that location.
I don't know if this would always work, it would depend on car availabilty at the downtown location, but you may want to keep this option in mind.
The CZ is our favorite train ride. Have fun!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking the Zephyr from Sacramento to Springfield Mass in 2 weeks. I have kept track of the arrival times since July (ok, I've become train-obscessed!) During September, the #6 arrived after 6:00 about 7 times. Only once did it arrive after 9:00 pm. During July and August, late arrivals were much more common.

I will be facing a similar problem in Springfield...the train in supposed to arrive around 2:30 pm, with Hertz closing at 6:00 pm. I think I have a 50/50 chance of arriving before 6:00. My plan is to stay in a hotel near the Amtrak station and pick up the car in the morning, if the train comes in too late.

Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would look to see if there are other car rental agencies or locations in Chicago area that are open past 6:00 p.m. If you are in dire need of a car what about the Chicago's O'Hare Airport? I imagine they stay open later but the drawback: outside of town so could face an expensive cab ride (I think I had to do this once and it cost me $25). You could even take public transportation to the airport from downtown. But this is additional time and money. Certainly understand the pain associated with this. I assume you are traveling to another destination via car upon arrival, thus no overnight stay in Chicago?
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know Chicago specifically, but I suggest you call the local (Chicago) offices of the rental car agencies closest to the station. They are probably used to dealing with Amtrak passengers and know what to do when trains are late. Try Hertz first because Hertz and Amtrak have a partnership deal going, and may be more likely to have late pick-up procedures in place.

If Hertz doesn't, try another company. Here in Salinas someone worked out a deal with Budget (I think) who left the car at the station and the keys with the Amtrak station agent.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used Enterprise in Chicago before. I seem to recall that they have a rental location fairly close to Union Station, and if you call them ahead of time, they can pick you up at CUS and tak you to their rental location. I don't know how late they are open however....
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fumes5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Sir,

I can attest thatat ost amtrak stations where there is a car rental office when a train is late the agent(s) on duty will be more than wiling to help, and I also think that Hertz will pick u up if you train arrivs late and Iknow for a fact the Enterprise or Avis will as long as the office is open. (I Have used both sucessfuly). However if your train is late beond reason you may wish to call the rental offices and let them know, more than likly they have a soultion. if you are renting with Budget, there is a good chance that they may lave the keys with an Amtrak Ticket Agent when your tain is late, I know we have done this in the past at Kalamath Falls Orgen and Salanis. good luck and I hope this helps awncer your question

-Fumes5

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page