RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » sunset 2 with a baby?

Author Topic: sunset 2 with a baby?
hate2fly
Member # 2722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hate2fly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are going to Orlando from LA on Sunset #2 end of the month. We have two kids, one 3 year old and one 6 month old, and have never been on a train before.

I'm looking for some tips on what to bring on the train and what to do especially with the 6 month old. For instance, do they provide bottled water (for baby formula) or should I bring my own water? Any other tips?

BTW, we're in a family room.

Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by hate2fly (edited 10-16-2003).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What class of service do you plan to use; Coach or Sleeper?
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hate2fly
Member # 2722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hate2fly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry left out a critical piece of info:

family bedroom.

thanks

[This message has been edited by hate2fly (edited 10-16-2003).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the family room is the perfect choice for your needs. The beds will work well for you and your children and the room is large enough for your 3 year old to move around and play. You will be on the bottom level with windows on both sides. The restroom and showers are just steps away from your room.
Meals (breakfast, lunch, & dinner) in the dining car are included in your fare and can usually be served in your room, if needed, if your car attendant is available.
Your car will have a supply of complimentary bottled water, coffee, soda, etc., however, on a long trip these items often run out before you reach your destination. The lounge car will have these same items and many more available for purchase throughout your entire trip.
Relax, enjoy, meet new people, have fun, & be sure to look out the window !

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done this kind of trip - two days from Denver to NYC and back with infant and then small child. Bring some small plastic bags to be able to tie up dirty diapers and dispose outside your room. I used to dump them at station stop trash bins; bring several bottles of water; I have had room attendants who would clean the baby bottles in the dining car kitchen for me (alternatively take the older child walking thru the train and stop in the diner and ask); the seat in your can be pulled out into bed position easily for diaper changing and for naps (and they're will still be space in your room for sitting; bring games for the three year old - those woods puzzles and coloring books and stuff s/he can do at a table in the lounge car; the train stations typically do not have diapers and wipes so be sure to have your changing bag stocked; the train rocks a bit so I suggest holding your child's hand while walking the cars; the rocking seems conducive to naps for all ages (adult and child). Also I usually take a small collapsible (sp?) stroller for the walk thru the station and out to the train. The platforms can be crowded and dangerous and scary. My son used to find the stroller comforting in those circumstances. And a final thought - as a former waiter and cab driver I tip attendants etc. at the time of the service. This usually reinforces the desired behavior for the trip, but not always. I have not been on the route you are taking but other Amtrak trips with kids have been marvelous and relaxing. Hope this all helps. Feel free to email me off list if you have other questions.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember my first long distance train trip as an infant (taken when I was just 6 months old). But I still have surprisingly vivid memories of traveling overnight on the old New York Central Railroad at age 3.

My advice? Try not to become so preoccupied with keeping your 3 year-old "busy" with books, games, and other diversions brought from home that you both spend very little time looking out the window.

After all, dining cars are nice. And sleeping compartments are fun. But the magical part of traveling by train is watching the world pass by -- small towns, big cities, farms, rivers, factories, and all.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page