RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » rising anxiety

Author Topic: rising anxiety
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am booked coach on the Sunset Limited to Pensacola,Fla. leaving San Antonio,Texas on November 23. Although a lot of my questions have been answered here, I still have a few that can only be answered once I am on board i.e. Will I be able to sleep in a seat? Will I be able to walk( use cane, have poor balance)? Any comments are GREATLY appreciated!
Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it very difficult to sleep without laying down flat. However, I can sleep on Amtrak coach seats, after a fashion. If you can get two seats to yourself then you can make yourself more comfortable across both seats. The noise level from other customers is remarkably quiet during the night but try to sit about 1/4 or 3/4 of the way along the coach. The centre, by the stairway, has bright lights and people going up/down the stairs. The end doors can make a noise, and let in a lot of outside noise, when they open.

Hold onto the backs of seats or the overhead luggage racks for stability while walking. When passing between cars, hold onto the red/white candystripe rails and make sure you wear shoes. Many people will be only too happy to help if you need somebody to carry something for you.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coach seats for overnight are horrible. Your journey is some 24 hours long. I strongly advise that you try for a bedroom.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeping in a Coach Seat is entirely possible, I spent 40 hours on the Southwest Chief in Coach and had no problem sleeping, even with a passenger seated next to me. You should be fine, just remember it's no bed at the Hilton and you will have to get a little creative to find a comfortable sleeping position but it is still possible. Bring a walkman or something to listen to, that will help you relax into sleep. I usually will listen to my walkman or my scanner on an earphone, keeps me relaxed when sleeping in coach.
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I go coach,I like to sleep in the sightseer lounge.I find one of the sets of three seats together.and stretch out.It gets me horizontal,and that helps a lot.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best way to relieve any anxieties is to get on the phone to Amtrak and upgrade your accomodations to a Standard Bedroom, which as of a few moments ago was still available for a Nov 23 departure from San Antonio to Pensacola.

You will have to use the phone as you will be upgrading an existing reservation. Be certain to mention your confirmation number when addressing the live agent. Just keep saying agent to the automatic voice recognition system (Julie).

The difference is simply that of a reasonable expectation of an enjoyable trip and the certainty of an endurance contest. Of course it is considerably more pricey than the coach, but in life you get what you pay for. For myself, I would not even consider overnight coach. If the $$$ weren't there, I would consider other means or maybe just stay at home.

Get that room before someone else beats you to it.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 11-16-2003).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what its worth, Mr. Norman and I have very different opinions about sleepers and coach for overnight trips. While a sleeper is nicer, many, many people sleep reasonably well in coach. Between the motion of the train, and my own insatiable desire to peer outside to see where we are, I find I really don't sleep much better in a room than in a seat. But being in a horizontal bed is probably more restful.

This might help put things into perspective. Each Superliner coach seats just over 70 people, and each train usually has three to five coaches. They are usually well populated at night.

Sleeping cars carry about 40 people or so, and each train will have two sleepers, maybe three if it is busy.

These basic numbers indicate that the vast majority of overnight Amtrak travelers are happily riding coach. It isn't ideal by any means, but it works just fine for a whole lot of people.

If you do decide to upgrade to a room, you might ask if you can get a lower level room, or perhaps the handicapped room might even be available. The lower level tends to sway less and the rest rooms are closer. The handicapped room has its own toilet.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 11-16-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since u say that you walk with a cane and have poor balance, I would suggest, if you have the extra money to spend, getting a standard bedroom. They are very nice to have as it is a tiny home away from home.
Plus when you walk to places like the Dining car(in which meals are included inprice of sleeper), there are walls on the side of each bedroom in which you could glide along while grasping the side walls.
Also, the traffic in a sleeping car might be a little lighter compared to a coach car.

Also if you asked nicely, you could have the Sleeping car attendant bring you your food from the dining car to your room if you didnt feel like walking, you could not however do this in a coach, at least I dont think so. Please tip well though if does do this for you.

[This message has been edited by UncleBuck44 (edited 11-16-2003).]

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UncleBuck44:

Also if you asked nicely, you could have the Sleeping car attendant bring you your food from the dining car to your room if you didnt feel like walking, you could not however do this in a coach, at least I dont think so. Please tip well though if does do this for you.

If you are unable to walk to the diner, the coach attendant is supposed to bring meals to your seat. Tipping should be the same as if you went to the diner, 15-20% of the bill.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether or not one can sleep in a coach seat depends on the individual.
If you find you can sleep aboard a moving vehicle, and you can sleep in a reclined position, you ought to be able to sleep on a train. Bring a pillow and blanket.
If you have to lay down (like me) or cannot sleep on something that is moving (like me) you are better off booking the sleeper.
If you fit the second description (like me), try tiring yourself out quite a bit before boarding. Either that, or you fit in my classification of "don't expect to sleep much, if at all, the first night."
Either way, try to keep a positive attitude even if you can't sleep right away. Getting annoyed, whether at yourself or the train, will just fire up your adrenaline and make it incredibly difficult to sleep.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-August 17, 2001
Requisecat in pacis

P42DC #53063
Around 2.5 million miles to go

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always traveled in coach seeing as how I don't have enough money to buy a sleeper. I have some sound suggestions for you.

You might talk to your doctor and have him prescribe you some good sleeping pills that work. I find it impossible to sleep in coach and sometimes you just can't count on having two seats to yourself. Just be careful you don't become addicted to the sleeping pills.

An eye masque and ear plugs might be useful as well.

Also, if you can't afford a sleeper, maybe there is a seat available in the lower level of coach. I've been having knee problems and am grateful that Amtrak was able to get me a seat there because now I don't have to negotiate those insane stairwells. This all assumes that your train is a two level Superliner.

Travelling by coach is really not so bad. Just bring along plenty of distractions and get ready to be in a fairly social situation. Pretend you are Walt Whitman. That might help.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 11-18-2003).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well to this point, it appears that eight Members have made a choice regarding coach or sleeper. I count them as follows with results of five Sleeper Three Coach:

Sleeper:

geoffm
royaltrain
Gilbert B Norman
Amtrak 207
UncleBuck44

Coach:

Amtrak 288
Mr. Toy
Chucky

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all of my travels on Amtrak, I have never rode overnight in coach - always in a sleeper or I didn't take the train, book on that day day or take the trip. Course, I can't knock coach, b/c I have never tried it. I just have an anxiety towards coach and side with our moderator that it is in endurance test - one that I am not sure I could handle - I am not a sound sleeper and have back problems. That's not to say I have had great nights sleeping in a sleeping car!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good call, Chucky.

Normally, I'd advise a sleeper. But given Boyce's mobility difficulties and the early morning arrival in Pensacola, I'd agree lower level coach is the way to go. Car entrance, luggage storage, and WCs are all nearby on the same level, and the attendant will be happy to bring you whatever you'd like from the lounge or dining car. (Don't worry, they will check in and ask for orders). The folks riding lower level are often a quieter, older crowd, many with mobility concerns. Also, the lower level coach section is a room by itself with no one passing through. This usually means a much quieter atmosphere than upstairs. Also, the noise from the lounge car movies can be a real pain if you're seated in an adjacent coach.

Looks like there's still availability. You might want to give Amtrak a call and discuss this option.

Have a great trip, and please let us hear all about it when you get back!

-Mark

[This message has been edited by stlboomer (edited 11-18-2003).]

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, FWIW I will take coach for 1 night if the sleeper price is too high ($150+ per night) or unavailable. But, yes, I'd prefer sleeper.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
First, to Mr. JP; I'm not Moderator over here. One Forum elsewhere is ENOUGH!!!!!

Now the one posting I'm waiting to see on this topic is from someone who represents they could well afford Sleeper if they so choose, but PREFERS Coach.

Lastly, to Mr. STL: don't get me going on those G#% D@^^ M*#%@* F%#(!*# movies. I think back to a Feb 01 trip on Auto Train where I met an absolutely delightful couple (he an MD, she an RN). We had dinner together, then afterward convened in the Lounge where our discussions ranged from topics such as wine and Bridge. Well guess what it was time for the movie and the party was over. They had a Standard as did I; nowhere to convene.

As many who participate at the various Forums know, I believe that Amtrak should market the Deluxe as the standard two person accomodation. The Standard Room is simply for one person with exceptions i.e. adult and small child, two adolescents, and two young adults who are quite prepared to make sacrifices to the level of hostel accomodations.

There is one big problem; there are simply not enough Deluxe to go around, especially in the East with the single level trains.

We all know what the remedy for that is - $$$$$$$

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 11-19-2003).]

jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops - Sorry Gilbert! My apologies for trying to elevate your status!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vastly prefer riding sleeper overnight,but willtake coach if I don't have the bucks.Travelling coach is far superior to not going at all.I just can't stay away from train travel.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by espeefoamer:
I vastly prefer riding sleeper overnight,but willtake coach if I don't have the bucks.Travelling coach is far superior to not going at all.I just can't stay away from train travel.

That about says it all. Thanks!

Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert,
I agree w/ you a sleeper is the way to go for overnight travel if one can afford it.
I disagree w/ you that a standard sleeper should be for just one passenger. Two adults can & do use standards w/o the limitations you refer to. On this subject we may have to agree to disagree.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
First, Messrs. CK and Foamer's remarks are noted with respect.

I should clarify; Amtrak will sell a Standard Room for double occupancy no questions asked. In view of the paucity of Deluxe accomodations on the single-level trains, this is probably best. Even if there were, considering that Amtrak is oublicly funded, it is likely in their best interest that any marketing practices that could be characterized as "bait and switch' or even the more softer "plus sell" are best avoided.

On that note, I think that when Amtrak learned that the 100 Viewliners that were "in the bag" suddenly got cut to 50, they were wise to "weight" the accomodation "mix" towards Standards. This enabled as many as possible to sleep.

We continue to hear in the various "five year plans" a "dangling' of '75 new cars'. Possibly some of these will be Viewliner Sleepers. If that be the case, I would hope that the configuration could be weighted towards Deluxe, such as 8Dlx-4Std.

Oh and lastly, since we have discussed movies here, a relevant line of script is in both "Ninotchka" and its musical remake "Silk Stockings' where the leading man (Fred Astaire in the latter) says to the leading lady "I've been reading about your Five Year Plans for the past fifteen years".

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page