RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What was your last "pre-AMTRAK" trip?

Author Topic: What was your last "pre-AMTRAK" trip?
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was in 1969, when I rode the North Coast Ltd (C,B, & Q/Northern Pacific back then)from Chicago to Livingston, Montana, and back. I worked in Yellowstone Park that summer as a college student seasonal employee, and I had a roomette both directions.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In early 1968, I traveled overnight from New York to Cleveland on the New York Central -- along the same route now followed by Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited.

Most of the New York Central's trains didn't have names by that point. Although I didn't know it, the railroad was only a few weeks away from merging with the Pennsylvania and New Haven to form the disastrous Penn Central.

I rode in coach with several family members. I remember that there were very few passengers on the train that night. Each of us had the luxury of having two seats to ourselves.

That's something that had never happened on our trips seven or eight years earlier. But by the late 60s, very few people were riding trains at all. Our car was almost empty.

What's great about traveling on the Lake Shore Limited today is that the journey still looks and feels the same. The railroad and the rolling stock have changed, but the overall experience and the view outside the window has changed very little. You see the same amazing Hudson River. The same spooky old factories. The same deserted little towns. The same haunted-looking rust belt cities that have seen better days.

That's one reason why it's probably my favorite Amtrak journey. If I squint a little, I can almost pretend that the K-Marts and the Starbucks that pop up again and again along the route aren't there. It's like traveling back in time.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MILW #103(30th) City of Everywhere, Chicago-Savanna. Return on BN#10, Afternoon Zephyr.

What seems so ironic is that the UP is the "whipping boy' over indifferent performance today as an Amtrak host. Although the City was notably downgraded from 1968 onward (no Challenger coach section, the City of Everywhere combination, closing the Pullman Co, removal of the Dome Diners), that "last supper' was mighty impressive. To watch the City "highball' from Savanna, was simply knowing that something great had come this way, but was not going to come again.

First Amtrak ride was #7 (1st) Empire Builder Chi Milw, with a return on a Hiawatha.

Air transport enthusiasts recently 'tasted" what "we" did almost thirty three years ago when the Concorde was withdrawn from service.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 11-17-2003).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Late summer, 1968

Train # 18, the Super Chief, from Alb. to Chgo. Roomette in the center of the car. Great steak dinner just after passing through Raton Pass tunnel and the famous
Fred Harvey french toast for breakfast after leaving KC.

On time or close at all stops and arrived at Dearborn Station 5 minutes early. The Super Chief was one exceptional train.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rode the Southern RR (?) from Mobile, Ala. to Auburn, Ala. in 1961.Not real sure of the RR (getting senile). Rode the rails as a freshman in college and am about to hit the rails for a second time!

[This message has been edited by Boyce (edited 11-17-2003).]

Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rode the San Diegan round trip L.A. to San Diego.I took a day off from high school to say goodbye to Santa Fe operated passenger service.My first Amtrak trip was a few weeks later,round trip L.A. to Fullerton.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was about 14 years old and rode the last run of the Peninsula 400. this train ran from ishpeming mi to chi. ishpeming is in michigans beautiful upper peninsula. we got on in escanaba mi and rode to green bay wi. we got our pictures in the paper for being the last people to buy tickets at the escanaba depot. it was in 1969

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

[This message has been edited by irish1 (edited 11-18-2003).]

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dec. 1969, the CZ from Fremont, CA to Chicago through the Feather River Canyon. In the fall of 1964 I took the CZ west from Chicago to Oakland and when we got to the Feather R. Canyon, the train was stopped amid a mountain winter wonderland, so we all got out and had a snowball fight while waiting for whatever we had to wait for. Nobody seems to have that kind of fun anymore!
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penn Central (ex-New Haven), round-trip Boston South Station-Stamford, CT, sometime in late 1970.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MPalmer just reminded me that I used to take the Penn Central to NYC from Boston in the days when a coach seat was $10 and if you added $2 you could sit in the parlor car! The Merchants Limited left NYC @ 5PM and got to Boston @ 9:15PM; had a dining car and served a wonderful steak dinner.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy reading these accounts. I wish I had response to this question, but I've never known any long distance trains other than those operated by Amtrak.

I was 11 years old when Amtrak was formed. I don't recall exactly what I was doing that day. It was in May, 1971. I was in grammar school, probably bored, and probably drawing pictures of trains in my composiition book the day Amtrak trains first turned a wheel.

I spent a lot of my free time exploring the former right of way of the old New York, Westchester & Boston Railroad. It was overgrown and lined by a strip of woods on either side. My own little world, really. There were crumbling remains of stations and bridge abutments. Particularly exciting was a dark pedestrian tunnel beneath a spot where the right of way was perched atop a high embankment. For all I knew, that weed-choked, long forgotten right of way that boredered my neighborhood could have once hosted steam trains which went clear up to Canada. It was a path beyond my limited horizons, plain and simple.

A few years later, I'd learn that the NYW&B was a 20-mile-long electric railroad, and that it resembled a subway line more than a railroad in the conventional sense. And I also learned that the Westchester was by no means an important trunk line. In fact, its last stop was little more than a mile and half distant from the section of it that, by the time the late sixties had arrived, had become my own version of Sherwood Forest.

A Nordstroms department store now occupies the site of the Westchester & Boston's northernmost station. The right of way has been turned into a formal greenway.

Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-18-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
April 30, 1971, Super Chief, Chicago to LaJunta. My last pre-Amtrak ride and (at midnight) my first Amtrak ride.
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feb. 5, 1964. A day that lives in infamy (in my mind, at least). I wasn't into train-watching then, so I don't know what trains I rode. But on that day, I boarded a train in Binghamton, NY which I assume was Erie Lackawanna, since it went thru Scranton, on the way to Newark, NJ, where I had lunch using a government meal ticket before boarding another train, from a different station, if I remember correctly, to Trenton, NJ, where I boarded a bus to my final destination, and "home" and a new "career" for the next few months at Fort Dix, NJ. (aka US Army boot camp, for the uninformed)

[This message has been edited by ChrisJ (edited 11-19-2003).]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
August, 1969 From East Dubuque, Il. to St. Paul, MN. I believe I was on the Empire Builder. I rode this route in the 60's to visit my father's relatives. The condition of the equipment deterioated quickly in those final years. I feel fortunate to have ridden the Zephyr and Empire Builder in better days.
Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WLGREY
Member # 1904

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for WLGREY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last pre-Amtrak trip was in 1969. I had joined the Army and was in basic training at Fort Dix, NJ. Given a weekend pass, I took the bus go NY City and sat up all night in Grand Central Terminal waiting for the first train to Bridgeport, CT to visit relatives. It may seem strange to wait sit up all night to take a train trip of a little over an hour, but any diversion from Fort Dix was welcome.
Posts: 3 | From: Honolulu, HI | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a senior in high school in the spring of 1971, so I didn't have a lot of freedom -- or money -- but I DID have a father who worked for the AAR, which meant I could get free passes (issued by the trip -- and I didn't save them!).

During our spring break, I and a good friend took a "farewell to railroad passenger service" trip. Unlike me, he (his parents) had to pay for the tickets, which circumscribed the scope somewhat. Still, it was quite a trip (although the fast-vanishing passenger network deprived us of both the SR's Cincinnati -- Atlanta train and a chance to ride the E-L). Here's the itinerary:

Washington - Lynchburg (SR)
Lynchburg - Cincinnati (N&W)
Cincinnati - New Orleans (L&N)
New Orleans - Jacksonville (L&N/SCL)
Jax - Savannah (SCL)
Savannah - Atlanta (CofG)
Atlanta - St. Louis (L&N)
St. Louis - Detroit (N&W)
Detroit - New York (PC)
New York - Wash (PC)

We took sleeping cars for night travel (except ATL - STL, which was coach only). The "Pocahontas" and "Nancy Hanks" both still had domes, and sleepers had returned to the "Gulf Wind" after an absence (we had two open sections in "Surf Bird"). Most of the trains had diners. It was a great trip, but I've had 33 years to regret the trains we missed: financial constraints meant nothing west of Chicago. I'm so sorry to have missed:

- C&NW to upper Michigan
- The UP mainline trains via C&NW
- CB&Q to the Twin Cities (got it later on a service diversion)
- The NP main
- Several interesting Florida routings (Naples, plus the ACL to Tampa via Ocala)
- Atlanta - Augusta
- Atlanta - Montgomery
- Chicago to Florida service (any route, even Amtrak's)

Oh, well. I was lucky to be able to take that trip.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page