RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Old Rolling Stock

Author Topic: Old Rolling Stock
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the oldest piece of rolling stock in service with Amtrak?

Dave

PS - Did I ever tell you guys about the time I was touring Australia by rail and rabies-crazed Aborigine tribesmen attacked our train as it hurtled across the parched, hostile Outback? There I stood on the roof of The Ghan's diner, AK-47's blazing from both my hands, a machete in my belt, my shirt torn wide open, and a bandana 'round my head to keep the blood from tricklin' down from where a flaming spear had grazed my left ear. Then they got the engineer, and I had to swing down from the roof into the sidewindow of the cab and drive the train myself, shootin my guns this way and that all the while. They was throwin' themselves onto the train like those spiders jumpin' at people in "Eight Legged Freaks", even though we must've been doing 80 or 90 mph. They even burned the 200 foot trestle over Dundee Creek up ahead to try and stop us, but I pushed the throttle to notch 8 and jumped the whole consist from one side of the dry creek bed to the other. That's how darn fast we was going! In the end we went back in a chopper and sprayed anti-rabies aerosol over the tribesmen and they came back to their senses and said they were sorry. I got a medal from Olivia Newton-John. That trip was really something, I'll tell you.

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-19-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that honor goes to a Heritage Diner that can trace its lineage to a Budd built Diner-Grill delivered to the NYC during 1948. NYC Road numbers were 450-467 (Source: Wayner; Car Names Numbers and consists).

This car was in consist of a Feb 02 trip I made aboard #91, Silver Star.

Possibly, there is a Baggage that predates this Diner of which I do not have knowledge.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dnsommer:

PS - Did I ever tell you guys about the time I was touring Australia by rail and rabies-crazed Aborigine tribesmen attacked our train as it hurtled across the parched, hostile Outback? There I stood on the roof of The Ghan's diner, AK-47's blazing from both my hands, a machete in my belt, my shirt torn wide open, and a bandana 'round my head to keep the blood from tricklin' down from where a flaming spear had grazed my left ear. Then they got the engineer, and I had to swing down from the roof into the sidewindow of the cab and drive the train myself, shootin my guns this way and that all the while. They was throwin' themselves onto the train like those spiders jumpin' at people in "Eight Legged Freaks", even though we must've been doing 80 or 90 mph. They even burned the 200 foot trestle over Dundee Creek up ahead to try and stop us, but I pushed the throttle to notch 8 and jumped the whole consist from one side of the dry creek bed to the other. That's how darn fast we was going! In the end we went back in a chopper and sprayed anti-rabies aerosol over the tribesmen and they came back to their senses and said they were sorry. I got a medal from Olivia Newton-John. That trip was really something, I'll tell you.

Speaking of that look where I work.
Click on my "WHO button"
Yeah thats the ticket

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the answer, Mr. Norman!

Unless anyone disagrees, I will use your info to complete my post regarding the answers to Amtrak AmTrivia Quiz #3.

I'm sure info about the age of Amtrak's rolling stock is documented somewhere on the web, I'm surprised I couldn't find it myself with Google.

Here's a trivia question: When did "The Train Of Tomorrow" finally reach its destination? (Meaning, when was it retired?)

Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-21-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the equipment was retired from Train of Tomorrow service,it was bought by the Union Pacific.they used it between Portland and Seattle.It was finally retired in the late 60's.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite "late" 60's

Sky View (diner) retired 2/61 - scrap 1964

Dream Cloud (sleeper) - scrapped 1964

Star Dust (coach) retired 11/64 - scrap 1965

Moon Glow (obs) retired 11/64 - owned by Ogden Union Station Museum

Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Courtesy El Simon)

The SW-1's are ex NYC built between 42 and 49.

Hard to tell how old some of the work equipment is (cranes, etc) but probably older.

Company equipment "passenger style" stuff would be display cars 10090, 10091. One may possibly be later model KCS, but one for sure is pre-war Burlington 1940 built.

Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page