RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hello I'm new..Questions about safety? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hello I'm new..Questions about safety?
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll find both old and new route guides for most of Amtrak's trains here:

http://www.trainweb.com/cgi-bin/top/tw_do.cgi?routes/indexf.html

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still want 500 bonus points for the longest typed Railforum post ever

< groan >

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NYRailFan
Member # 2692

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYRailFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Midnight Sky, the anxiety you are feeling will probably lessen once you start your train trip. If I may be blunt, it sounds like you might be somewhat phobic about traveling. I have a phobia about flying, which led me to train travel years ago. I love being on a train, even though I can be a bit antsy crossing long bridges. The train is peaceful, and I always feel like I step back in time when I'm on a train. I feel safe.

The problem with people who are phobic is that we have fabulous imaginations. We constantly think "What if??" The techniques I was taught to handle my phobic thinking was to change the thinking - puzzles, word games, conversation, anything that can interupt that spiraling anxiety. It is simple, but it works.

If I misread your concerns or projected my own phobic thinking, I apologize. I wish you a wonderful trip.

Posts: 26 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MPALMER:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kairho:
[b]US Railroad transit (not counting tresspassers) -- 204

This 204 figure does not sound right...it is much higher than a normal yearly number. Does it include those who died on PATH or the NYC subways at the WTC?[/B]

NO ONE DIED ON THE PATH OR SUBWAYS ON 9/11.

Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to see your trip report after you get back.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Espee, yes of course I will tell all about my trip as it is next week.

Nyrailfan..that maybe so! I don't mind actually being on the train, it's the bridges, that I worry about!

Amtrak207..Thanks
Also how close to the shore is the train? Hudson River? Great another bridge!!!

Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak207, that would be greatly appreciated if you could scan that for me..only if it's not too much trouble??? Thanks
Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, my finals crunched and I lost sight of the forum for a week. I'll scan it for you, or if you'd like you can send me an e-mail message (the e-mail button on the top of posts and replies) and tell me when you're coming through and I'll deliver it in person.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you're correct it can be spooky going over precipices (sp), narrow bridges, and hurtling along at what feels like break neck speed in the dark. plus the thing bounces around like it's going to jump off the tracks. You probably have images of being trapped inside the metal mass or worse, under water when the bride collapses. So don't take the train. It's too expensive to be as anxious as you are. Take the travel mode with which you are most comfortable. Most of the train people are pretty nasty anyway and don't do much to make your trip enjoyable allowing the toilets to become totally disgusting and flashing lights in you eyes when you're trying to sleep. So forget it.
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your trying be funny..stop! I don't need you to be sarcastic because it isn't cute!!
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traveler was just being nasty,Midnight,don't pay any attention to his(?)post .Enjoy yourself and have a fun trip. Besides,most of the people yoy meet on the train are nice,and you can meet some very interesting people.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

[This message has been edited by espeefoamer (edited 12-18-2003).]

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page