RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hello I'm new..Questions about safety? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hello I'm new..Questions about safety?
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, I'm new to the board and I plan on taking a trip by train from Los Angeles to Boston and I wanted to know how safe it is to travel by train? Do derailments happen often? Any problems with them having to do with bridges or water?

I looked at the trains I would be taking...Southwest Chief and Lake Shore Limited..by the way how are they? And well I was looking at pictures on different sites at the different scenery you would see and it kinda of worried me a little, when I saw how it looks like the train is on the edge of cliffs, like Raton Pass and then when it gets by water, like when the train crosses over the Mighty Mississippi River, over the bridge, is the bridge that scary or is it just me? It looks really close to the water and it holds the train?? Also when I was looking at Lake Shore Limited route, I saw how close it is to the water, once you get past Illinois.. how is that?

As you can tell I have never been on a train this far and I'm going to visit my grandpi and I really want to take the train, as I am afraid to fly and I don't know I'm just really nervous about it

Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JDE
Member # 2817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having just returned from traveling the route you are taking, my best advice is to just sit back and relax. It's a fine trip. There is really nothing to worry about at either Raton Pass and crossing the Ol' Miss. By the time you get to either place, riding the train will be like being in church, security wise. And in neither place is the train going very fast. Just enjoy the view. I'm looking forward to doing it again. The Lake Shore passes through some very pretty country too.

Posts: 12 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep trying to tell myself that everything will be fine, but then I think what if something happens on the bridge or over Raton Pass and then my anxiety comes back.

Is the train more safe than the plane?

Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you persist on being a fatalist about it, take a look at Fatalities by Type of Transportation 2001:

US Passenger car & light truck occupants -- 41740
US Air Carriers and commuters -- 1162
US Railroad transit (not counting tresspassers) -- 204
Pipelines -- 7

Unless you want to take a pipeline . . . stop obcessing and just get aboard!

Source: http://www.ntsb.gov/Pressrel/2002/table01.pdf

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kairho:
US Railroad transit (not counting tresspassers) -- 204

This 204 figure does not sound right...it is much higher than a normal yearly number. Does it include those who died on PATH or the NYC subways at the WTC?

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The report says the number does include "Transit -- light, heavy and commuter rail" which was 175 of the total. SO I would assume that includes all commuter rail.

The 2000 equivalent number is 226.

[This message has been edited by Kairho (edited 11-21-2003).]

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about it. Derailments and other accidents that put passengers in peril are extremely rare. And fatalities are even rarer.

According to the statistics mentioned above, there were actually only 3 fatalities among intercity (in other words, Amtrak) passengers in 2001.

Keep in mind that the yearly accident figures would include the following:

A) geniuses who slammed into posts or other hard objects while leaning out of open vestibule doors on moving trains.

B) passengers who fatally attempted to cross the tracks at busy stations.

C) other assorted Einsteins.

The rest of the numbers quoted in the chart were from trespassing, employee accidents (including those on freight railroads), and subway and commuter rail fatalities (people falling off platforms during rush hour, etc.)

So go ahead and take your Amtrak trip. You'll be fine.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 11-21-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your saftey concerns are valid, however, train travel is possibly the safest method of travel around. hands down, auto travel is the most dangerous. The railroads do their own traffic control, and each friehgt railroad endevors to do its utmost to prevent any sort of saftey issue over its' rails. The cars that Amtrak uses are designed to survive a head-on collision with a 266,000-lb locomotive without crushing. This translates into the cars being much safer than even an SUV in accidents. Railroad cars are designed to be very, very sturdy and stout.
As for the track itself, the train over Raton Pass doesn't cling to the cliffs like something out of an Old Western - quite the opposite, as a matter of fact. The route over the Mississippi and past the Great Lakes are not real bad. Rail bridges can support as much weight if not more than a highway bridge, however, there is no need for them to be of the same construction as the highway bridges, as they don't need to be paved with acres and acres of concrete. As for derailments, they infrequently happen, but each of the landlord railroads over which Amtrak travels take extensive measures in order to diminish the liklihood of those events.

To sum things up: It is ok to be concerned, but there is almost nothing to worry about. I'ts much safer, and much less hassle, than driving across country. Plus, you get a chance to look out and see what scenery there is to see. Think of the train trip as an integral part of the entire trip, and not just a means to get there.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll add my assurance that the train is quite safe. Trains are quite capable of remaining upright on narrow bridges and cliffsides. They've been doing it safely for over a century and a half. Once you've ridden one you'll understand.

Moreover, today's American railcars are built to the highest crashworthiness standards in the transportation industry. They don't crumple up like a car in a rollover, nor do they disintigrate into a million pieces like a plane does on impact with the ground. On rare occasions when derailments occur Amtrak cars remain intact, and most people walk away unharmed.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
I'm hearing you guys, but then I hear things like what happened on that bridge in Alabama. I think the bridge thing scares me the most, because of that incident, so it could happen and exactly how many people survived that??
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many Einsteins were there?

Dave

[This message has been edited by dnsommer (edited 11-21-2003).]

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to worry. The scariest cliffs are on the Durango & Silverton.

Dave

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Midnight Sky, you will have an absolutely fabulous trip on both the trains you'll be riding. I know because I rode them both in February 2002 between Buffalo, NY and Fullerton, CA. Don't worry about the bridges and the mountains, Raton Pass has been around since the earliest days of the Santa Fe Railway and is a very "well worn path" for trains, and it's very scenic. The bridge over the Mississippi River is huge as it also has highway traffic going over it as well. On your way west, you'll likely cross the bridge after sunset so you probably won't even know you're going over it in the first place. Check out my web site if you haven't already, I have a full travelogue from that trip there with tons of photos...
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix

Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Sky:
I hear things like what happened on that bridge in Alabama. ??

Midnight Sky, that was a freak accident in Sept. '93, when barges broke loose and knocked a bridge out of alignment. Statistically unlikely to happen again.

Your train trip will be safer than whatever mode you use to get from your house to the station.

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can also vouch that train travel is the safest way to go.
The freight railroads who own the tracks have safety foremost on their agendas, including making sure all tunnels and bridges are in top condition at all times.
A friend of mine is in charge of operations on a major railroad, and he explained to me that they check things very often and very thoroughly. Again, safety is most important.
The routes and technology are proven and trustworthy, and you will have a great time!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your wondering about derailments most Amtrak derailments(even at high speeds)the cars dont usualy tip over or even go far from the tracks. And besides the chances of a derailment(even minor ones) are very unlikly. I feel safe when riding Amtrak and always have.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
That's my fear..is the bridges and passes. I'm afarid of heights, but I'm more worried about how close the train is to the edge of the passes, but mainly can the two bridges I have to go over..one over the Mighty Mississippi River and across the Missouri River, can they hold the train? If they are made of steel is that strong enough...why not be made of concrete? I don't know..I'm just scared..especially going by myself and such a far distance.

Amtrak288, at night is even scarier! And I'm female.

[This message has been edited by Midnight Sky (edited 11-23-2003).]

Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Ms. Midnight Sky, I can assure you you have absolutely NOTHING to worry about regarding traveling over the afformentioned bridges as well as the entire route of your train. I think it's safe to say that the majority of us here on this forum will agree that train travel is by far one of the absolute safest modes of transport available. I can tell you from my over 17,000 miles traveled on Amtrak that you will have a great time. The Southwest Chief is by far one of Amtrak's nicest routes and you will definitely enjoy it. You're always safe on the train, there are train crew members scattered throughout if you ever need anything. Whether at night or during the day, I've twice seen Amtrak Crews put belligerant and obnoxious passengers OFF THE TRAIN! One time was at a station stop, the other was at a road crossing in a small town. Amtrak will do whatever they can to ensure everyone gets to their destination safely and as close to on time as possible. My advice to you is simply sit back and relax, you have nothing to worry about. Take a Walkman with you and listen to some CD's, you'd be surprised how fast the time passes by, and it will help you sleep, music usually puts me to sleep rather quickly. The most relaxing would be Smooth Jazz (Kenny G, Dave Koz, Yanni, etc) but listen to whatever you like, and have a great trip!

[This message has been edited by Amtrak288 (edited 11-24-2003).]

Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A slight technicality, Mr 288--

The Bayou Canot incident during 1993 that you note was actually caused by the barges under tow (actually push) hitting the CSX bridge. The Captain should have simply tied up (no different than Huck Finn) until the fog lifted.

To my knowledge, no negligence was attributed to CSX or Amtrak; it was, as you note, a 'freak" incident (probasly unintentional, therefore an accident).

Regarding your reference to Raton Pass, Ms. Sky, I hope you did not take the David Baldacci book "The Christmas Train" too seriously. In fact I hope you didn't read it, as one with lifetime rail mileage of at least 200K, I thought it was a waste of my time and $$$$.

Lastly, I hope we have been of help around here; we are definitely cheaper than 50 minutes with Dr. Melfi.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 11-24-2003).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been contemplating this post for a while...

Midnight Sky, nothing in this post is meant to offend, however......

First, we shall all die. None of us will survive, physically.

Second, we all get through life as best as we can.

Third, it does absolutely no good attempting to worry about something we have no control over.

Fourth, we diminish our lives by needlessly worrying about 'what ifs'.

Fifth, you have a far greater chance of dieing while traveling TO the Amtrak station, then riding on Amtrak.

Sixth, by worrying about 'what ifs', you miss out on the pleasures you could be experiencing by ignoring the 'derailment worry'.

And last, when it is 'your time', it is your time. In the meantime, enjoy life and don't worry about the small stuff.....

The above advise is based on my 50-some years on this planet.
Good luck.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sky, I mean no disrespect. It sounds like your concerns border on obsessive negative thoughts and anxiety. Alot of people suffer from unrealistic anxiety.
If this maybe the case, you might want to check with your Doctor. There are medications that are helpful and will allow you to more fully enjoy your trip.

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 11-24-2003).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First Mike, I understand that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't worry that my time to go has to be because of someone else's hand besides GOD.

Now I hear you guys when you say the train is safe, but I still just wanted to know about the bridges and passes, that's all.

Amtrak288, well I'm going on sites and looking at pictures, to help me get over my fear and in fact I'm getting my tickets tonight to make sure I have no choice but to get on the train.

CK....If your implying I'm crazy..well no!

BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trains are safe i work on them evrey day and i go up the Huey P Long Bridge in NOLA and that is a bridge.

------------------
LOOK LISTEN LIVE
BEFORE CROSSING RR TRACKS

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for asking! I knew all this civil engineering stuff would pay off someday.
Concrete bridges are reinforced with steel, otherwise they would fall apart. (concrete is useless in tension.) They are not favored for extremely long spans due to far higher weight (dead load) than steel spans.
Bridge inspection happens. Railroads understand how important such a structure is, and inspect them regularly. Not only would a bridge failure be a safety risk, but it would disrupt their business and cost loads of money to replace. Although railroads cannot afford to repaint their bridges as often as the highway folks, be assured there are tons of standards they have to meet. Plus, railroad bridges are redundant, meaning that if one component should fail, it will not lead to global collapse, or collapes of the entire structure. (Take that, Scoharie Creek!) Bridge failures are so incredibly rare, and when they do happen they are not the graphic, all-collapsing-at-once dramatization on the movies. Steel is ductile, and steel bridges are designed with that in mind. This means that when things start to go wrong, it will be noticeable by the users (leaning column, yielding beam, excessive deflection, resonance) before things get scary or even remotely dangerous. Even more (this is going to be a horrendously long post), railroad bridges come from an era when everything was overbuilt beyond belief. Sure, it wasted material here and there, but what you get is more than your fifty-year lifespan roadway bridge. You get something that could literally last hundreds of years.
With regard to the Sunset Limited, the question is not how many people actually survived that wreck. That's saying half empty. There were over 200 people on that train. The towboat operator became lost in fog and hit one of the piers, pushing the bridge out of alignment. That's a serious impact. (As a result of that accident, the Coast Guard has improved poor-weather visibility of bridges, especially important ones like rail bridges, among other things.) News reports do a horrible job with train wrecks and gain ratings by showing jacknifed equipment and interviewing injured passengers while pure speculation about what happened trundles over the audio track. While the whole train goes on the ground, and it looks bad, they are supposed to go sideways like that to dissipate energy. Case and point: Batavia, 1994. Lakeshore goes down an embankment. Zero fatalities, 25 serious injuries, 100 or so minor injuries (broken bones, lacerations), 240 people walked away, by far the majority. They rolled a dome car. 90,000 pounds of railcar go sideways then roll over on a glass-covered observation deck. Damage? The glass shatters and stays in place (made from the same stuff as hockey boards but 3/8 of an inch thick) and the roof dents down nine inches.
"Safer even than an SUV" give me a break, that's not hard to do.
American passenger trains indeed have incredible crush resistance. An American passenger car has to sustain three times the compressive force on its corner, three times more than the TGV or Eurostar or any european railcar.
Summary: it is THE SAFEST way to go. With the exception of the Sunset in 1993 and a grade crossing accident in 1999, Amtrak passenger fatalities per year have numbered in the single digits throughout the 1990s. Amtrak positions baggage, mail, and crew cars at the front and rear of the trainset to act as a safety buffer. While the chances of hitting water are slim to nil on a train, imagine how comfortable it is without 45,000 feet of air between your airliner and the ground. I also konw some operating crews on a first-name basis. Despite all the flaming that goes on with this board, these people put safety above everything else. I do not hesitate to entrust them with my safety.
The "Water Level Route" does indeed follow some waterways, in particular the Hudson, and Mohawk rivers (beautiful) and the Erie Canal (want pictures?) but they are not crammed right up on the bank all the time. And airliners are made out of Aluminum (E=17000 ksi).
Speaking of which, I have to stop typing and go to sleep. I have a steel design test tomorrow. My fingers are tired, so I'm almost done.

Please, please, please tell me when you're riding the Lakeshore. I'll stop by and say hello.
The safest way to go. By a long shot. Not to mention being able to walk around, seeing the country as it really is, being kinder to the environment, dot dot dot.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-August 17, 2001
Best of the best, requisecat in pacis

P42DC #53063
Now only around 2.4 million miles to go

[This message has been edited by Amtrak207 (edited 11-24-2003).]

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Sky:
That's my fear..is the bridges and passes. I'm afarid of heights, but I'm more worried about how close the train is to the edge of the passes, but mainly can the two bridges I have to go over..one over the Mighty Mississippi River and across the Missouri River, can they hold the train?

I read two separate issues here. 1) fear of heights, and 2) fear of a structural failure.

For the first, I think you're worried about getting dizzy when looking out of the train window and seeing a dropoff. I can relate to this, as I experience much the same feeling in tall buildings, stairwells, etc. but I have never experienced such feelings on a train, even when runnning along steep hillsides or on the Lake Shasta bridge, which is probably much higher than the bridges you'll cross.

As for the second concern, Amtrak288 offered a most interesting technical explanation. But if that's too complex, just remember, these bridges have been supporting trains every day decade after decade. They're not going anywhere on the day you travel.

Relax, and don't give much credence to your imagination. Someone once said "Every man takes the limits of his own vision to be the limits of the world."

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ridden over 260,000 miles on trains with no problems.Railroads commonly run coal and iron ore trains over bridges and along cliffs and these weigh 10,000 tons or more.You have nothing to worry about.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Midnight...as you can probably tell from the username, I'm a female too. I recently made my first train trip, and did it alone. Traveled over 6000 miles: over bridges, through tunnels, at night, and loved every single minute of it! I might add that I'm terrified of flying, get freaky driving through long tunnels (the earthquake thing), and wonder every day if my parking garage structure will fall on me. Go and have fun!
Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raton Pass and the crossing of the Mississippi are at very very low speed. On the pass, the speed is low only because the curves are sharper and the grade is steep enough that it would take more power or braking than other stretches of track, not because of any danger.

On Raton, there are no cliffs or steep drop-offs, just steep hills with double track and space to spare. A derailed car would probably just stay in place where it derailed. Any of the rare passenger train accidents involving fatalities were probably at much higher speeds than the speed over Raton Pass. If you don't already know, the top of the pass is a tunnel. The scariest part of that is, it's dark.

As for bridges, you are probably safer on a railroad bridge than any other bridge. As mentioned already in this post they are overbuilt and designed for much much more weight than a passenger train. The Mississippi bridge is a swing bridge - not high over the water.

And old bridges are better bridges. I remember during floods in Phoenix 20-30 years ago every (concrete) bridge in the entire city crumbled except: the one highway bridge built prior to 1920, and the one railroad bridge.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Well are those the only two bridges I would have to go over, because I saw a route guide for the Southwest Chief and I'm not sure if it's new or old and it says the train is going over the Colorado River?

Does anyone have any pictures of any of these bridges and/or passes or of the route itself or know of any more places that I can look at them??

Also could you guys tell me about the Lake Shore limited route..like what you would see?

Also thanks you guys so much for putting up with me and my questions, but I have bad nerves and worry ALOT!!

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worrying will not help or hurt your chances of diving off a bridge in your car, walking, or on Amtrak. Quit it!

BTW, you will cross hundreds of bridges, some of them small, most of them creek/bayou sized. You will be crossing a bridge at least every 30 minutes, and probably closer to every 10 minutes, while the train is moving. This is normal. It is usual. Don't sweat it.......

I do understand your fear. I used to have it about flying. I spent hours at the airport watching all those planes land safely and convinced myself that I was being stupid and the fear was not normal. Now, I absolutely HATE the "inspection" process, so I avoid flying as much as possible.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only place the Southwest Chief crosses the Colorado River is at Needles, CA, and that is crossed at night, so you won't even know you are crossing it.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sky, you missed my point. I never said or implied that your "crazy". Go back and read your own posts and than read mine, and you might start to believe that your worries are unfounded.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! this post has gone on as long as the 'Should Amtrak serve Coke or Pepsi' issue...a little toooooo long.

[This message has been edited by dmwnc1959 (edited 11-26-2003).]

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Mike it's not for you to understand why I have this fear, so if you think it's stupid or not.. that's irrelevent..it's for me to understand and I believe by looking at people's pictures and looking at Amtrak's route, you do not cross that many bridges as you say, to my knowledge.

DMW..don't read then.

Ck..that's the feeling that I got when you started with the medications.

If you are in my post to help, like Amtrak288 and many others..great, but if not, then please do not post in the post because I'm not here to be criticize for my fear just because you guys/girls don't have it!

Thank You

[This message has been edited by Midnight Sky (edited 11-26-2003).]

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Midnight... I didn't mean to imply that you are stupid.

However, the Southwest Chief crosses hundreds of bridges; possibly thousands. Every ditch, bayou, stream and river and every roadway underpass will put you on a bridge.

Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Ms. Midnight Sky, I know you asked earlier about the Lake Shore Limited as well, I'll tell you that I've rode the Lake Shore more frequently than any other Amtrak Route in my 7 years of Amtrak Travel and I can assure you it's also as safe as the Southwest Chief Route and is very scenic. You can take a look at the countless photos I've taken from that train again at my web site, just look at a few of my other travelogues. Whenever you take your trip, I hope you have a great time, and don't worry, I don't think you're crazy for asking lots of questions or having lots of concerns about your first trip. I believe you need to ask questions and plenty of them if you really want to know what's happening, that's how journalists get their stories. I wrote my travelogues the way I experienced them, so have fun, and enjoy your trip...
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix

[This message has been edited by Amtrak288 (edited 11-27-2003).]

Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, it's ok.. sorry for getting a little attitude, but it's just frustrating when you feel like people don't understand what your going through..sorry again!

Amtrak288, funny you say that because that is exactly what I'm going to school for is to be a journalist. Thank you for your site addy..I will look at them again..and probably again lol.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Ms Sky, now that you have shared with the Forum that you are a journalism student, I must surmise that this proposed trip is being made to some extent to further your exposure within the profession. If that be the case, then I'm going to rescind my earlier advice to avoid reading the Baldacci novel "The Christmas Train". In fact I will now say read it, and once you commence your trip, you will quickly learn to what extent it is a work of fiction.

Unfortunately, one "journalist' recently did a pretty good job of discrediting the most esteemed newspaper in the world. But what else is new; after all, my profession (CPA) has been a "bit" sullied of late as well.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Gilbert, I will have to look into reading that...it might just help me even more with understanding this whole train thing.

Well I intend on not being one of those type of journalist.

Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still want 500 bonus points for the longest typed Railforum post ever.

P. S. I'm not the same person as Amtrak288. He named it after the train, I named it after the engine.

Scenery? My friend and I have an ongoing competition when we take a train somewhere. He counts the number of self-storage places and I count junkyards. It's always a battle!

As far as scenery goes on the LSL, you will begin going through South Chicago and the South Bend area which is full of industry and steel mills which don't smell very good. Next you move into the gently rolling farmland of northern Indiana (sometimes quite flat for the east) and you stay that way through Ohio, which will be after dark. Around sunrise, you'll probably be between Erie, Pennsylvania and buf-lo where the rail lines run near the shore of Lake Erie for a long stretch. I try to watch toward the lake shore as much as I watch inland. Next you go through the beautiful sections of south buf-lo, stop at Depew, and move on through upstate New York. Buffalo to Rochester is almost entirely farmland (beautiful Byron-Bergen, NY) but it's a nice change. After Rochester you follow the Erie Canal (and cross it a half a dozen times) from milepost 359 all the way to Syracuse. They do not take similar routes here because the canal can turn a lot easier, so sometimes it's right out the window and other times it's miles away. After Syracuse you head to Utica (I never remember this part) and after Utica you begin to skirt the Mohawk River valley all the way to Albany. There you cross the Hudson River and move on to either New York or Boston.

If you want, I can scan and send you a copy of Amtrak's old route guide for the Lakeshore and Southwest Chief. These are sorely-missed budget-restricted items last seen sometime in the early '90s. They provide a basic history and geographical narrative of the route followed by the trains.

There, it's shorter this time. I like your user name.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-August 17, 2001
Best of the best, requisecat in pacis

P42DC #53063
Now only around 2.4 million miles to go

[This message has been edited by Amtrak207 (edited 11-30-2003).]

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page