RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Worker's strike Amtrak's Beech grove Facility

Author Topic: Worker's strike Amtrak's Beech grove Facility
Fan_Trains
Member # 2874

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fan_Trains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several hundred Amtrak's employees belonging to the transport workers union and the Brotherhood of maintenance of way Employees walked off their jobs yesterday at the Beechgrove maintance shop in protest of the company's hiring of outside contractors to repair passenger cars and maintain right-of-way. Eleven other unions honored the action.

Amtrak is seeking a temporary restraining order to stop the strike. According to an amtrak spokesman the strike is not expected to affect normal passenger operstions in the near term.

Posts: 44 | From: Biloxi,Mississippi,USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the suckiest news I've heard in a while. Just means more unrepaired Superliners that could have been available on my upcomming Southwest Chief journey. All I can say is sh**
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you think the action will turn out? Will Washington take notice?

Dave

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Contracting out" has long been a contentious issue within the railroad industry; it certainly was during the three years I spent in Labor Relations.

As I understand from reviewing newspaper coverage, the BMWE point of contention is simply some fencing recently installed at Beech Grove for which Amtrak let a contract with a local contractor who in considerable liklihood employed "non-union' workers. This is hardly the first time such issue has arisen within the industry.

Nevertheless, here is BMWE's "take' on the issue:
http://www.bmwe.org/News/2003/12DEC/AMTRAK-1203[1].PDF

A carrier will usually prevail in a contracting out issue when specialized labor, material, or equipment is involved. As the BMWE press release above notes, the Carrier is required to give notice of intent to contract out and agree to meet in good faith with the Employees to determine if the work proposed is within the scope of the 'labor, material' parameter set forth above. To what extent Amtrak (the Carrier) initiated such a conference or simply picked up the phone and called in a fencing contractor, I know not. Obviously, i further know not if this was a "straw that broke the camel's back" issue, or one of "bruised egos'.

Also from newspaper coverage, I have learned that the issue involving the TWU, who holds the contract to represent Laborers (employees who do not hold 'journeyman' standing or positions in skilled crafts such as machinist or electrician), is the contracting out of asbestos removal from some railcars. Now folks, we know that asbestos is some 'pretty scary stuff', and I would think that an outside contractor who has obtained the necessary protective gear for their workers, has trained and supervised those workers to ensure the gear is properly fitted, and is prepared to assume liability in the event of an injury to the worker, would appear to meet the standard of 'specialized labor and equipment".

What is further perplexing regarding the TWU issue is that Amtrak has recalled a fair number of employees to the facility in response to the present "catch up' car repairing program.

I would think this strike, for which I must wonder if applicable provisions of the Railway Labor Act were adhered to, will be of short duration.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get me Washington
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak operates on a very tight budget.Hiring an outside contractor could mean the difference between repairing 20 Superliners compared to only reparing 15 using Amtrak employees.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uncle Buck,
LoL!

------------------
_________Thë Çhîeƒ
_|_|_|_|_

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But lest we forget, Mr. Foamer, Amtrak also has existing Labor Agreements with both crafts of aggrieved employees.

Also, those employees can 'do something" on "that Tuesday in November".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page