RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Best small town destinations served by Amtrak

Author Topic: Best small town destinations served by Amtrak
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We often talk about the cities Amtrak serves, but someday I'd like to visit small-town America, too. Let's activate the collective brainpower of this board and find out where the hidden treasures are. The little places that have something special to offer a train traveler looking to discover America.

What I'm looking for is to spend a couple of days in small towns (served by Amtrak) that are interesting in some way. I have a short list of three places I'd like to go. Glenwood Springs, CO; Winslow, AZ (to see the Meteor Crater and stay at La Posada); and Santa Fe, NM (close enough to a train route).

What are some other interesting small towns across the country? I would be looking for towns that meet some of the following criteria:
-natural beauty
-interesting local history
-interesting local architecture
-friendly people
-some sort of local culture (music, art, theater, American Indian, etc)
-a pleasant B&B or small historic hotel to stay in and relax.
-a good town for walking
-good shopping (not touristy shops)
-little or no urban sprawl; i.e. places Wal-Mart hasn't gotten to yet.

Of course, I don't expect to find all of these in one place. Even a couple of these could make a stop worthwhile.

Any suggestions?

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 12-12-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Glenwood Springs for an overnight earlier this year. I can highly recommend it for at least 2-3 nights. Firstly, the setting is beautiful in a wide gorge. Second, the people are friendly. Third, the open air swimming pool fed from hot springs is great! Then there is white water rafting past a slow-moving coal train. There are some caves with more hot springs, but I think you have to pay for that one. There's a cafe right outside the station which had pretty good food.

Alpine, TX is supposed to be good, but I can't remember for what!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alpine, TX......marfa ghost lights....look up the phrase in google. I thought the conductor was pulling my leg when he insisted I stand at the window and watch for them, but I saw 'em. Given a choice, though, I'd put Glenwood Springs at the top of the list, closely followed by Grand Junction.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Glenwood Springs, the Hotel Colorado is probably the best known hostelry. However, the Hotel Denver is opposite the train station and would appear to have "rooms with a view" (UNO the type WE value around here). Also quite likely has a considerably more favorable rate than the no-view hostel previously mentioned.

When I first set foot in Glenwood during 1963 (alighted from the Zephyr; promptly "whisked" off to Aspen), it was pretty much only a "jumping off" spot for Aspen as well as a domicile for "the help". Nowadays, it is a resort town in its own right, no doubt catering to people who could "care less' about being seen in the proximity of Paris Hilton, Kobe Bryant, OJ Simpson, and whoever else hops off their private jets at Aspen nowadays.

Meanwhile, back in the East, consider Winter Park, FL. This has got to be one of toniest downtowns in which Amtrak stops right in the heart of - anywhere. A "Private Client" office of a major New York bank is in sight of the Amtrak station. Also a college located there that I understand caters to the 'Dad's got the $$$$ for the Ivies, but Jr. hasn't got the brains" crowd.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-12-2003).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashland, VA: the RF&P runs right down the middle of the main street, it's got a cute, historic downtown, a small college, and the Henry Clay Hotel -- a nice B&B that has a dining room with a view of the tracks.

New London, CT: a water view, restaurants and shopping, a Radisson Hotel a few blocks up the hill, and the ferry to Orient Point, Long Island.

Portland, ME: downtown has good shopping and restaurants, two nice hotels, the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum, and there's a ferry to Yarmouth, NS if you run out of things to do.

Williamsburg, VA: probably needs no introduction, and the train station is close to the historic area.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saratoga Springs, NY
Winter Haven, FL
Jefferson City, MO

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy, your ideas about Winslow and Santa Fe are excellent. The Petrefied Forest is also very close to Winslow.

If you take the SWC here are two more suggestions:
La Junta is on the old Santa Fe trail and the authentically reconstructed Bents Fort is only 12 miles from LJ.

Fort Madison is right on the Mississippi River and the BNSF bridge is a swing type that opens to allow barge and other large river traffic to pass. Quite an interesting place to watch. Also, Nauvoo, IL is just across the river and south about 10 miles.
Lots of history here relating to the early Morman migration that of course ended in Utah.

Very friendly people in both places.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amsterdam, New York:

Located on the famous New York Central Water Level Route (Now CSX Mohawk Subdivision (Chicago Line)), this city is home to Lock #11 on the Erie Canal, also, there's a nice park known as the Greater Amsterdam Riverlink Park nearby which offers one a chance to dock their boat if you travel up the Mohawk River. The Mohawk River and the Erie Canal are one in the same through here and the scenery in the hills is beautiful especially in the fall, not to mention that you have the busy CSX main for railfanning and 8 Amtrak Trains running each day, six of which stop in Amsterdam! It's located about 35 miles West of Albany.

Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cumberland,Maryland is a scenic and historic destination.George Washington began and ended his military career here.There is a historic walk around the town which gives much interesting information.You can see the remnants of the old C&O canal which ran through town.The main attraction for railfans is the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad.The station is four blocks from the Amtrak station.There is a Holiday Inn across the yard from the Amtrak station.It is well worth a visit.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whitefish, Montana.
They have a beautiful big depot and checked baggage. If you plan to rent a car at least 2 companies (Hertz and maybe Budget) meet you as you get off the train. There is excellent Rocky Mountain scenery in every direction including Glacier National Park. It is a region of tall pines and emerald colored lakes and rivers with abundant wildlife and many log buildings.

This must have been the Great Northern's premier tourist destination. The town is a little pricey. There are many things to do in the town and lots of it has to do with railroad history.

I have been to Santa Fe many times, and I loved it for its multicultural atmosphere and fine restaurants and shops. I prefer a spring or fall visit there -less tourists, excellent weather.

I would also add another attraction to Glenwood Springs, in case you are into easy bicycling. You can rent a bike and take a shuttle from town to a paved trail that follows the CZ route and I-70 downhill through beautiful Glenwood Canyon back to town. Since the CZ passes both ways through this canyon about mid-day, you are likely to catch the #5 and #6 from this trail in a spectacular setting.

Flagstaff is another excellent destination with depot car rentals and checked baggage.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White Sulphur Springs WV and the fabulous Greenbrier Resort is easily accesible from the Cardinal.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW, this is just the kind of thing I was looking for. Great work, people. This is one to print and save for future reference.

Gilbert, thanks for the tip on the Hotel Denver. I found their website http://www.thehoteldenver.com/ Maybe we can take my niece and her husband, who live near Denver (and who have never been on a train) to spend a couple days there.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Galesburg, Ill., is a pretty town, from the CZ at least, with some history and literary associations (Carl Sandburg), if you take a look at the old route guide.

Winter Park, Fla. It has the darndest thing -- a bunch of stores in a row that line a street and aren't under one roof. It's called a "downtown" and not a "mall."

On the other hand, from the Empire Builder, many of the towns in eastern Montana seem to be fading. In all of them, there's a hotel by the tracks, but it's closed. There's a laundry and a video store in the ground floor of each hotel; they're closed, too. But the taverns are open. ...

Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truckee, CA (just up the line!) has a small downtown and the station is convenient.

(The modern stuff like fast food places etc. is not too far away though).

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, Flagstaff meets all the criteria. It's a great place!
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it is not necessarily a small town, but not a big town either, I love heading up to Burlington, VT in the spring, fall, and around Christmas time. If the ferry is operating between Port Kent (seasonal stop on the Adirondack) and Burlington, I often take the Adirondack up from NYP. The crossing of Lake Champlain on the ferry is really nice. Then there is the Vermonter that runs directly to Burlington-Essex Junction.

Burlington has a beautiful water front with fabulous view of Lake Champlain and plenty of things to do -nice B&B's, and of course the Radisson right on the waterfront. Burlington also has a great public transit system (bus) for getting around. Lots of cultural and shopping areas to explore in downtown. Course, it is usually a $20 cab ride to the waterfront from the Burlington-Essex train station via the Vermonter. Free transportation to the Inn at Essex - also a great hotel sponsoring the New England Culinary Institute and nice accommodations (fire places, Jacuzzi’s). You can rent a car at the Burlington Airport (Radisson and Inn at Essex provide free shuttle service to the airport to get the car). Nice areas to explore outside of the Burlington area as well.

May head up to Burlington this coming weekend - take the Adirondack up to Plattsburgh, rent a car from there to get to Burlington (an hour drive) and then return via the Vermonter. Vermonter and Adirondack are two of my favorite trains on the East Coast - in terms of scenery. Course the 7:05 a.m. southbound departure from Burlington-Essex Junction via the Vermonter is rough. Wish this was a later departure on weekends. When time is of the essence, it would be nice to have a return of overnight sleeping car service to northern Vermont destinations from NYP (the old Montrealer) - one can dream right?

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFB
Member # 2520

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harper's Ferry, WV

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this one yet. Beautiful historic town at the fork of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers, 60 miles from Washington, DC. Served by the Capitol Limited and weekday-only MARC trains.

Most of downtown is owned by the Park Service, and restored to its mid-19th Century appearance, having been a pivotal location at the beginning of the Civil War. Other historic sites are within reasonable walking distance of the station. The best lodging is at the famous Hilltop House, an early-20th Century resort hotel with off-season rates under $100.

Harpers Ferry is the junction between the ex-B&O main and ex-Winchester & Potomac, both of which are still active under CSX. Both lines emerge from a tunnel on the north side of the Potomac, where they diverge on separate trestles. The B&O station (still used by MARC and Amtrak) sits on the south side of the river, with platforms extending onto the trestle; the W&P runs on an elevated trestle through much of downtown.

I stayed there for three days on my last visit, without a car. Between the restored downtown, the scattered historic sites, the nearby C&O canal, and the train-watching, I never ran out of things to see. Well worth the trip.

[This message has been edited by JFB (edited 12-14-2003).]

Posts: 60 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pittsfield Mass.

Nice little town!

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for SALISBURY, NC...the downtown area and architecture looks much like it did 100 years ago. It's just a few minutes to the Spencer Shops North Carolina Transportation Museum (trains) and roundhouse. Salisbury was home of the largest Confederate Prison (actually located in the city) and has a National Cemetery that looks like a mini-Arlington. One area has an open field where over 11,500 Union soldiers are buried in common trenches. Very somber. Spring and Fall historic and Civil War walking tours take you through and past 95 points of interest in the downtown area alone, including dozens of amazing historic homes and churches, some over 100 years old, and local southern architecture abounds. Enjoy Southern hospitality in B&B's near the city museum. Local stage theater and art museums for those who want more culture. Downtown shopping consists of wonderful old fashion General Stores and ice cream shops. Unfortunately there is a new Super Wal-mart just in case you need supplies but thank goodness it is not near downtown. For more info go here http://www.visitsalisburync.com/html/attraction_frame.htm or here http://www.ci.salisbury.nc.us/ and enjoy!

[This message has been edited by dmwnc1959 (edited 12-16-2003).]

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JFB:
Harper's Ferry, WV

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this one yet.

Glad you did. Agree with all of your comments, though when I was last there you were not supposed to walk on the station platform out on the double-track bridge. There were rather flimsy "CSX No Trespassing" signs, but one could easily walk under or around them [no I'm not recommending that].

On the other hand, the single track bridge had an adjacent walkway that was actively used by tourists and it is part of the Appalachian Trail. Great for train photos though the chain link fence does ruin the look a bit.

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page