RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Onboard volunteers?

Author Topic: Onboard volunteers?
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a recent post, a member mentioned being a volunteer coach attendant out of LAX. I've heard of volunteers assisting at unstaffed stations, but never onboard. This implies a slightly different arrangement.

Can anyone tell me how Amtrak deals with volunteers? To whom are they responsible? Does the railroad exercise any right of approval in their selection? Any right of dismissal? Do they legally represent Amtrak? How are they identified - uniform, badge, hat? Other than Trails and Rails or NPS guides, what other volunteeers does Amtrak use onboard, and on which routes?

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fumes5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That member would be me.

Under normal circumstances, the anwser is NO, but I know a few of the conductors/train attendents out of LA and when I ride the train and they are onboard I get to do things that a normal passenger would not get, in trade (because after all i did have to buy a ticket) I usualy will get free/discounted meals and one time got a night in an unocupied sleeper. Things I have been asked to do are simple tasks like (1) help load/unload passengers from coaches w/o and attendent
(2) Hand out pillows at night
(3) misc. odd jobs, ie: trade videoes with the Parlor car attnedent and the Lounge attendent.

It should be noted that I do want to pursue becoming a Conductor after my Senior Year of HS, and explaing that to crews makes them more inclined to let you help. If you have any other questions be sure to ask.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think your "volunteering" would not be approved of by Atk mgt.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When reviewing this thread, the comment once made to me by a BLE General Chairman when I was doing Labor Relations work comes back to mind:

"Well, you (as a carrier representative) may as well spot the boxcar, because we will be filling it up with penalty claims until you cut that practice out'.

As far as I'm concerned, a claim made by the first available LA based Extra Coach Attendant for not being called for work, would be "good as gold".

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-13-2003).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
As far as I'm concerned, a claim made by the first available LA based Extra Coach Attendant for not being called for work, would be "good as gold".

My understanding is that the volunteers are in addition to, not replacements for, paid employees. Still it could open the door for misunderstandings.

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page