RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » LSL versus TR...last advice?

Author Topic: LSL versus TR...last advice?
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
I want to go ahead and get my one-way ticket between New York and Chicago on either the Lakeshore Limited or the Three Rivers. It's not until June but I figure I'd better buy off the Internet now since summer might be busy...UNLESS you guys think some great 20 or 30% off deals might be popping up this spring?? What does Amtrak usually do?
Also, it seems like you're split between the two trains. I don't really need a diner, caring more for a decent lounge. However, the later departure of the LSL is attractive to me. WHICH BRINGS ME to my last question. Are the times given on the Amtrak website correct? I was reading some other site on the Net where the writers were discussing different departures for these trains, but it was from last year, I think.
Okay, thanks as always..any last advice?
Scott

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the absence of a Diner means little (you are a "food is food' guy), then the primary reason to give the Lake Shore over the Three Rivers is gone.

As for Lounge Space, it is tables throughout on either train, except that the Lake Shore's "--Club' lounge has a smoking area. Three Rivers offers only on-platform "breaks".

If you have not done the ascent over Horseshoe Curve, you will quick;y find that its "notable engineering feat" status is worthfully justified.

But I think the best 'pull' for the Three Rivers is the courtesy and "can-do' attitude of there crews. There is a Sleeper Attendant that I had on a trip last May who I understands exchanges X-Mas cards with her regular passengers. A small point, but indicative of how they take pride in their 'littletrain" and want you to have an enjoyable trip. Reports of inattention and incivility on the part of Lake Shore crews have been wodely reported.

Well, so much for that; enjoy your trip.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're not leaving until June, I'd hold off for a month or two before booking the trip. Amtrak's doesn't offer its "special discount offers" on a fixed schedule, but it's worth waiting until after the holidays to see if one materializes.

Granted, their most recent offer only snipped 5% off the regular fare. Those "Save 30%" deals may be a thing of the past. But you never know.

As for the departure times. . .

Amtrak issues a new national timetable every spring. The departure times for some trains change. Others don't. Right now, there's no way of knowing for certain what any train's schedule will be six months from now, regardless of what it says on the web site.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert
Thanks for the info and suggestions. Very helpful, and dilly, yes, I'll hold off a couple months and see what specials pop up. Thanks guys! I'm looking forward now to Horseshoe Curve!

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last two years, Amtrak has started a sale in the third or fourth week of January. I waited for it last year and got a sweet deal (Sunset Limited Orlando to Los Angeles in a standard sleeper for $298 total!). Just monitor space availability (read prices) while you wait and don't let it get away).
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember if you are doing a sleeper or just coach, but if you are happy with a coach seat, you would be crazy not to wait a bit and get your ticket closer to departure from the rail sale on amtrak.com or Amtrak on Ebay. You should have no problem getting a one way ticket (or round trip if you buy on ebay) for less than $50. Good Luck.
Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Hi Coachclass,
Yeah, this time I'm doing coach, so I'll take your advice and hold off. Hopefully a deal will present itself on the Rail Sale.
Thanks all!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page