RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Are Engines in Short

Author Topic: Are Engines in Short
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just happened to notice that both the Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans run with only one engine now a days.

Is there only going to be one engine on both trains from now on, or is a second unit just not necessary for these routes?

I know both trains traveled with 2 locos up until about June then Amtrak only started putting one on.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the Califoria run with a genesis before.

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'll have to see...

One Loco? I wonder if other routes are doing this? It seems like the Eagle is always the "experimental" train, or at least the one that sees cutbacks, i.e. missing lounge/regular sleeper, one loco, no dining car service between Ft Worth-San Antonio.

I'm leaving Chicago for San Antonio on Saturday. Can't wait.

We're in the transition sleeper, for a unique change of pace.

If you're at the station in St. Louis, I'll have to say Hello, UncleBuck.

Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both routes require only one engine to get over the road on time...it's an economy measure. Works great as long as the engine doesn't fail.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I heard Dave Gunn speak (last spring) he said he had plenty of P40s for lease if anyone was interested. Power assignments have been reduced to save loco miles, fuel, and $. Amtrak has more locos than it needs at this point, due to the elimination of most mail & express service.
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of the Texas Eagle and its Transition Sleeper...last week at Dallas Union Station, EB Eagle (22 not 422) had two Superliner I Sleepers, and no transition sleeper.
So I guess the TS probably was bad-ordered and the crew bunked in the regular sleeper.

[This message has been edited by The Chief (edited 12-26-2003).]

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the City of New Orleans with only one Genesis and 14 cars.We pulled away from the stations very slowly.

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BNSF 1088
Member # 2400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BNSF 1088   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by espeefoamer:
I rode the City of New Orleans with only one Genesis and 14 cars.We pulled away from the stations very slowly.

That train should have had 2 engines on it Amtrak will use 1 engine for up to 7 cars.

------------------
LOOK LISTEN LIVE
BEFORE CROSSING RR TRACKS

[This message has been edited by BNSF 1088 (edited 01-06-2004).]

Posts: 210 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the HEP limit for a P42?

I heard it was 7 superliners. However, the Eagle ran with 8 last week with the extra coach to St. Louis.

-Perfectly on time, too. No need for padding, we were early into almost every station. Great trip.

Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I get on or off the Silver Meteor in FL, it almost invariably has only one locomotive. This must be standard for this route, even with 11 cars. (One baggage, one Dorm, three Viewliner sleepers, Diner, Lounge, four coaches.)
The P42 must be a very reliable locomotive.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vincen47:
I heard it was 7 superliners. However, the Eagle ran with 8 last week with the extra coach to St. Louis.

-Perfectly on time, too.

Vincen, For the past 5 or 6 Texas Eagles Ive seen come through STL, each one has 8 passenger cars.
Then the last car, which is always a coach, gets taken off in STL.

This is a good move to put an extra car going from STL to CHI and back. Its a heavily traveled route.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page