RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Question about late trains......

Author Topic: Question about late trains......
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all I'm in Boston. The travel was good, but the Lake Shore Limited was late!

My question is if by chance the Lake Shore Limited train were to arrive in Chicago after the time of the departure of my other train Southwest Chief, what do I do? Lake Shore Limited leaves at 11:50am on the 11th and the Southwest Chief leaves at 3:15pm on the 12th.

Will they send me on another train or do I have to stay the night at some hotel.. let me know please.. thanks all :O)

p.s. Thanks to everyone who helped me. I do really appreciate it.. and sorry if I annoyed anyone lol :O)

Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the nickname "Late for sure Limited" is more than just talk.

If you have a guaranteed connection, ie one that is made through amtrak with at least 1 hour b/w trains (could be 2 hours for long distance ones) they will, at their discretion, put you on another train (tough if it only runs once/day though), bus you ahead to catch up with the train you missed, or put you up for the night and ship you out the next day. Your sleeper reservation however is toast if the new train is sold out.

At least this is how Amtrak handled things on the #6 train last year that was 6 hours late into CHI missing the LSL connection.

Call Julie and say "agent" or check the timetable for the official policy.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#449 Lake Shore is scheduled to arrive CUS 920AM; #3 SW Chief departs 330PM, or a six hour "cushion".

And the Angel said "Fear Not"....

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midnight Sky
Member # 2898

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Midnight Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Gilbert, but the Lake Shore Limited was do to arrive in Boston at 5:20pm and I didn't get in until 11 or 11:30pm, so if it is late into Chicago and doesn't arrive until 3pm..ok there is a chance, but it could arrive in at 4pm.. I just hope it gets in at 9:20am and then everything is all well, because I really don't want to stay in a hotel.

Thanks JonA, I will

Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Typically, They would wait--they do that on Airplanes and trains if just ONE person is waiting they will stop the train and if there is another plane/train coming later they will let the first go---But Amtrak's idea of a compromise is a bus seat on a motor coach...If you pay for a sleeper you dont want to be on a bus for more than 4 or 5 hours. IF you are on hours or even almost a day..I would try to get some kind of refund...Buses are not fun at all..I was bussed on the Coast Starlight..and it was really not the AMtrak experience and we didnt get any money back...just these voucher things..SO I would call Amtrak..And Quote the man/woman from 1800usarail --- they USUALLY know what there talking about usually..

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More to the point, Ms. Sky, the connection of #449 to #3 is guaranteed. That means Amtrak is obligated to "take care of you' in the slight event of a misconnect. Since 449-3 is a "major' connection, you will not be alone.

Obviously they will "do more' for a Sleepiong Car passenger; if you are traveling Sleeper (not certain which class you are using) they will likely offer to lodge you at a moderate but safe hotel until the first available train that can offer accomodations departs. Or they will offer to fly you, say to Kansas City, where you can catch up with #3.

They will of course do less for a coach passenger, but in all liklihood you could be accomodated in Coach on #3 the following day. Unfortunately, there is no later train to the West Coasy, let alone LA, on the same day; #3 is the last West Coast train to depart.

Good traveling, and my word continues to be don't worry; By the way, you will go through my hometown of Clarendon Hills some half hour after departure from Chicago. I often time my afternoon walk to view "the fleet', and if all are more or less on time #3-4-5-6 all pass within the space of one hour.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The westbound Lake Shore Limited generally stays on time much better than heading east, so I think that you should have a very good chance to make your connection in Chicago. Last two times I have been on it westbound it has been right on time or even early at a few stops. Good to hear you survived your trip out, be sure to give us a full report on how the trip went.
Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my last Lake Shore Limited trip on December 9th, I arrived into Cleveland on #49, 21 minutes EARLY! However, when I caught #48 there (Which normally isn't possible due to the fact that it's scheduled to be out of Cleveland an hour before 48 arrives), it was running well over 2 hours late. My experience has been that 49 keeps time rather well compared to 48 which is almost never on time as Ms. Midnight Sky has noted in her trip. Read the travelogue at my web site: http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix

You'll see I was able to get a connection that normally was impossible!

Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page