RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Help, please - info on North-east Corridor/Acela Express

Author Topic: Help, please - info on North-east Corridor/Acela Express
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy New Year from England. Three work colleagues of mine have to take a business trip to the States at the end of this month, flying into Washington and visitng our firm's offices in DC, Philadelphia, Newark, New York & Boston, all in the space of about six or seven days. This has come up at short notice and they were aghast at the prospect of all those airports delays until I pointed out that the NEC has the best train service in America. They are delighted at the news and I've already sold them the idea of the Acela but there are a few things I'd like to check with you if I may:

1. With very few exceptions, in the UK there is no need to book/reserve, you just turn up and go - I know you have to reserve on long distance trains in the US as I've taken the SWC and Zephyr, but what is the position on NEC trains? Are reservations mandatory or just "recommended at busy times" - the so-called "shading" on the website timetable re. reservations is invisible/unreadable!

2. If you do have a "reservation" are you stuck with that train and only that train? If a meeting over-runs or finishes early how easy is it to change to another train? Is there any additional charge or fee to re-book? If you miss your Acela is your ticket valid on an "ordinary" train.

3. Am I right that Grand Central Station in New York is now only used for commuters - they will need Penn St instead?

4. The Acela is considerably more expensive than the other trains on the route - is it worth the money for the sake of a few minutes saved and is the first-class supplement worth it?

Anything else you can think of? These people are experienced UK train travellers but have NEVER travelled on Amtrak before.

I've warned them about "must have photo ID", "must buy tickets before boarding the train" etc etc but is there anything else you can think of?

Many thanks in advance.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I presume your colleagues will fly into IAD (BA223?; you know that flight our security folk seem to have in the "crosshairs' at present), then 'work their way up" the Corridor to Boston.

If reasonable control of expenses is a consideration, then I would suggest saving the Acela Express for trips in excess of 230 miles, as the time saved simply does not warrant the considerable extra cost. The 150mph "Disneyland Ride" occurrs on either side of Providence, RI. For a 135 mile segment namely Wash-Phila, the time savings are minimal; honestly, I believe the seats in the older Regional stock are more comfortable than those found on Acela.

Some of the REgional trains are reserved, but many others are not. Although now adays you must have a ticket to board, "show up and go' should be good enough.

Security??? HAHAHA; I recall considerably more once traveling Belfast-Dublin during 1986. Although I have always had photo ID ready to go; I can't recall any train or station personnel really examining such - Corridor or elsewhere.

So advise your colleagues coming over to "the Colonies", that the Northeast is the one region here in the States where you will find frequencies same as what you presently enjoy on "your Emerald Isle". I believe you will fine that any of the stock used as Coach (same product is called Business on the Acela) on either the Regional or Acela service is equivalent in space and comfort, (aside form the 2-2 seating made possible by our wider loading gauge) to Mark II First.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 01-05-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Are advance reservations mandatory?

For the faster/fancier Acela (as well as the long distance trains that run along the NEC), reservations are officially required. But you can buy tickets at the station if seats are available.

However, the Acela IS often sold out. To be safe, book tickets by phone or the web site.

On most of Amtrak's more frequent "Regional" trains along the NEC, which cost less, no reservations are needed. But if you turn up at the station hoping to buy a ticket -- and the train is already full -- you may have to wait for the next one. The policy regarding "standees" on NEC trains seems to vary.

2. How easy is it to change to another train?

There's usually no problem with using a ticket for one train (i.e. Regional) on another train of the same type. Obviously, that means you can't use a Regional ticket on the Acela.

However, even boarding an Acela with a ticket for an earlier (or later) Acela could prove problematic if the train is sold out. Always check at the ticket window first.

Also keep in mind that, during peak hours, you and your companions may have trouble finding seats on some NEC trains. So when you hear the boarding announcement? Move fast, don't dawdle, and grab the first empty seats you see.

3. Sadly, the amazing Grand Central Terminal is only used by commuter trains (which don't serve the cities you mentioned). All Amtrak trains now use New York's "bus station-like" Penn Station.

4. Is the Acela worth the money?

If your company is footing the bill, sure. If it's coming out of your own pocket. . . not necessarily. Yes, it's nice. But for me, it's not SO nice or so much faster that it's worth the additional expense.

Have a great trip. And don't forget to look out the window.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-05-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will travel more quickly by train door to door than by air with your itinerary.

Acela won't save you time if you are stopping at those intermediate points (well maybe 30 minutes NYP to BOS.

Changing a ticket at NYP is a pain as the line is always long and doesn't move.

Acela is pretty to look at, but personally I find the Regional more comfortable. The business class upgrade is worth it for the quiet and extra room.

I like the flexibility of unreserved trains because you can sometimes hop an earlier one or if needed a later one.

If you are doing the NYP BOS run with no stops, spring for the acela as it is cheaper on that segment and the first class upgrade is only 50 bucks. Well worth it if your buddies are drinkers. Food isn't bad either. This way you can expose your collegues to both types of train for not a lot of extra dough.

Of course if the company is paying, first class all the way.

Jon

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I'm confused -- I haven't been in the NEC for a few years, but AMTRAK used to have "Acela Regional" and "Acela Express" service, which I thought used the exact same equipmemt, just the "Express" trains made fewer stops. Is there now a difference in equipment between the "Regional" trains and the "Acela Express?" And I take it that Acela Express is more expensive? Has "Acela Express" replaced the old "Metroliner" service?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are three levels of trains on the NEC.

Acela Express uses the new, high speed train sets.

Metroliners are slightly cheaper, and use refurbished Amfleet equipment (25 year old cars). Metroliners operate only between New York and Washington.

"Regional" trains (formerly "Acela Regional") also use Amfleet, with 74 seats per car rather than 60 as on Metroliners.

All Acela Express and Metroliner trains require advance reservations. Some Regional trains are reserved. Most are not, and a reserved ticket can be used on any unreserved train. When traveling from PHL to WAS on day trips, I usually reserve a seat on the 1605 regional; if I finish later or earlier, I simply use that ticket on the later or earlier unreserved trains (at 1505 and 1710).

Service is very frequent (hourly or better) between WAS and NYP. Between NYP and BOS, service is somewhat thinner, but still generally once an hour.

I concur with previous posts. Acela Express isn't worth the money except on a longer trip (say, between NYP and BOS) where the time difference is significant. On the BOS end of the line, Acela Express (when on time) can be 45 to 60 minutes faster than regional trains. NYP to WAS, time difference is more like 30 minutes, and the price differential is more than 100%.

The further 50% premium for first class may be worth it at mealtimes, since a meal is included with the ticket. The difference in comfort level is not large -- about the same as between second and first class on the old British Rail.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only you, Mr. Rich, but how about the public who could care less about being informed on passenger rail matters ("the 5:32 leaves from Track 34; what else need I know"?).

The Acela Express is reserved for trains to which the high speed equipment is assigned. "High Speed" means the Disneyland ride @ 150mph on either side pf Providence; otherwise, Mr. Resor has outlined the potential time savings in his preceeding message.

The conventional trains using 25+ year old Amfleet equipment have now simply adopted the fleet name of Regional.

Metroliner Service is the name retained for premium priced conventional trains operating WAS-NYP on an expedited schedule. The intent was to eliminate Metroliner entirely, but with the continued reliability problems encountered with the Acela equipment, that has not been possible.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 01-06-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank-you, Mr. Resor and Gilbert - I assumed that the trains now labeled "Regional" were using Amfleet now. When they were called "Acela Regional" a few years ago, were they using the new Acela train sets?

In looking at the current timetable again, I see that Metroliners are still used in the NEC, and are separate from the Acela Express trains.

I'll definitely have to plan my next big train trip (probably summer '05) with some segments in the NEC!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Thank-you, Mr. Resor and Gilbert - I assumed that the trains now labeled "Regional" were using Amfleet now. When they were called "Acela Regional" a few years ago, were they using the new Acela train sets?

They were using Amfleet back then, too...at one point, the idea was to call every Northeast Corridor train Acela something, including the Clockers, which were going to be named "Acela Commuter."

As you might have guessed, Amtrak realized that it was a bad idea pretty quickly, because it tended to confuse passengers, who would expect the new Acela equipment to show up on their "Acela Regional" train but be disappointed to see the usual Amfleet.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page