RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » sunset report

Author Topic: sunset report
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's the ontime been? I am really putting off a trip I need to make because of the horrible trips/lateness on the Sunset.

I know...I know...they are at the mercy of the track owners and freight.

But I get so mad at the employees behind the ticket window who KNOW the train is going to be 3 hours late and tell you "it will be about an hour" so you don't leave and go get some food or anything.

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's horrible the way I been lied to in my 780,000 rail miles. The best example was on my Janesville Jaunt Trip. Read what happened in San Antonio.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Enjoy,

Chris

Also Read my Hale Bob Trip for me finding out the truth by accident,

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve O.
Member # 2993

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The westbound Sunset #1 is on time most of the time. There is quite a bit of padding between Bay St.Louis and New Orleans, so if the train leaves Orlando two hours late, it could still arrive very close to on time. I'd say 9 times out of 10 it arrives here in NOL at least 30 minutes EARLY!

Eastbound has been improving lately it seems, but certainly a delay of a couple of hours should be planned for just in case.

Steve/NOL

Posts: 135 | From: Atlanta, GA / New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Month my eastbound Sunset was over ten hours late. The train was annulled in Sanford and the Orlando passengers were bussed to their destinations. Those of us going to Winter Park were transported by van. I didn't reach my hotel until 4:00 am. I was told that Amtrak services the train in Sanford so they didn't want to go any farther. Typical Amtrak, their operations always take precedence over the comfort and convenience of the passengers.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmarch
Member # 2953

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Royaltrain, were you on that train on New Year's eve? I was there too with my 4 yr old son. I bet we crossed paths and didn't know it!!
Posts: 33 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page