RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Proposed Schedule Changes

Author Topic: Proposed Schedule Changes
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, any of you guys got any good ideas for possible changes to amtrak's timetable?

I think it would be good if they delayed the start of the empire builder by an hour. that would give passengers 2 hours to connect to the builder in portland from the coast starlight.

also delaying the southwest chief's start out of la would give passengers time to connect to it from the southbound coast starlight.

anybody else have any ideas? (suggestions from anywhere in the amtrak nationwide timetable would be welcomed)

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's Bring Train #49 back to it's old schedule from the early 1990's. You were out of New York by 7pm, out of Buffalo near 5am and in Chi-Town around 2 or 3pm. Ridership would likely go through the roof! A 9:20am arrival under the current schedule is way too early since most Western connections don't start until 2 0r 3pm!
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like changing the Starlight schedule would be easier than changing the Builder, (Zepher?) & Chief times.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cajon

only problem with making the starlight arrive in portland an hour earlier would be that passengers would miss more of the starlight's scenic route going north in the winter (the area north of klamath falls).

upon further thinking though, since the starlight is always late, it wouldnt make any difference anyway (regarding the early morning scenery north of klamath falls)!

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
amtrak 288, why do you suppose they changed the 49's schedule?
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most likely reason for a change of #49's schedule was to enable a same day turn of equipment to #48.

When the Cardinal was extended to New York, there was no longer a requirement to switch its equipment into a Lake Shore consist to enable that equipment to 'cycle" through Sunnyside for periodic maintenance such as "E" Cleaning (heavy cleaning involving removal of ducts), #49's schedule was slightly set back.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LateShoreLimited
Member # 2025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LateShoreLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Lake Shore was originally changed to accomodate Metro North construction several years ago. It was then moved up even further to help save money on crews and give Chicago additional time to turn equipment. I do not think this has worked out the way they wanted but they have not changed it back. If you wanted it changed I suggest you write a letter to Gunn.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 4:35 p.m. out of NYP was great for me, as I could get a full day's work in and plan on meetings after lunch in Chicago (worked great on Fridays if starting a vacation too). I hate the 2:50 p.m. departure out of NY and have resorted to flying between NY and Chicago these days. A later departure for the Lake Shore would also give it more of a spread between the The Three Rivers eastbound departure time. This later departure also was more accommodating for people in Ohio. But I guess this would now run in to conflict with the Capitol Limited's schedule. The eastbound schedule also sucks - but I have more sympathy for that due to the western trains arrival time into Chicago. The Capitol Limited's schedule between Chicago and DC (both directions) seems ideal.

Also hoping for a later southbound running time for the Vermonter (leaving Burlington, VT around 8 a.m.). This could restore the connection between Montreal and St. Albans perhaps - making the times more humane.

The eastbound departure times of the Three Rivers and Pennsylvanian from Pittsburgh to Philly seem too close together (within two hours of each other). Have the Three Rivers leave Pittsburgh around 8 a.m. and Pennslyvanian around 1:30 p.m. or so. I guess this would mean the Three Rivers would have to leave Chicago around 9:00 p.m. - plus run on time and find a way to eliminate all the extra padding in the schedule - argh! I know ridership on the Pennsylvanian has increased due to the latest schedule change, but I wonder how this has affected the Three Rivers....

Have the Adirondack leave NYP earlier on weekends (i.e. 9 or 9:15 a.m.) so you have some sort of chance with connecting with VIA's eastbound Ocean in St. Lambert.

Palmetto - 5 p.m. departure out of Miami instead of 3:00 p.m.?

Move the Southwest Chief's eastbound depature out of LA 45 minutes earlier - get's you out of LA by 6 p.m. and into Chicago a little earlier so it could be turned faster for same day Chicago departure. How often have trains been delayed in Chicago due to late arriving equipment from the West?

Just my two cents!

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you ride the sun-done-set eastward, you cannot connect without an overnight in New Orleans to the Crescent or the CNO. Likewise the other direction. If you ride the Starlate to Seattle you cannot connect to the Builder without an overnight and vice versa. If you ride the northbound Starlight to the Bay area you cannot connect to the Zephyr without an overnight or vice versa. If you ride the Starlight south to LA, you cannot connect to the Chief. You CAN (supposedly) connect from #1 and #3 to #14, and from #11 to #2. The 11/2 and 1/14 connections FAIL probably 75% of the time, thus 75% of all those connecting passengers probably end up as "NEVER AGAIN" passengers. There is an alternate route from Sacramento to LA via the San Joaquins that pretty well can make the connection. It would make MUCH more sense to BREAK the LA connections totally (send #14 out earlier and offer no connection from 1/3 and drop the 11/2 connection) and keep passengers happy. Except for the east/west connections in Chicago, let every other connect require an overnight - big deal - if you KNOW there is an overnight required (such as Seattle or New Orleans), you PLAN it into your itinerary and there is none of the 'agitation' of watching your train get later and later and worrying about whether you'll make your connection.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page