RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Baseball's Spring TRAINing

Author Topic: Baseball's Spring TRAINing
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 99-100% sure I'll be in Florida the last week of March, in to the first couple of days of April.

I have a couple(2-3) extra days to spend in Florida, and will most likely look to take the train to a Major League Spring Training site.

I will be in Cocoa Beach and I guess I would board in Orlando. Has Anyone done a trip like this? Around Florida to a spring training site by Train?

Also what is Walt Disney Land like during that time of year?

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disney world is still in there off season in March so it is really a good time to go
weather is hit and miss on rain but still isn't bad compared to illinois.i have beem 3-4 times in March when the concrete convention was there.

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uncle Buck - As you may have figured out, I live in Central Florida. Disney World is fine any time of the year, and you may be interested in attending an Atlanta Braves spring training game at Disney's Wide World of Sports (closest AMTRAK station to Disney is Kissimmee) -- also several teams have spring training in Lakeland (on the route of AMTRAK's Palmetto).

Have a great time!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't the New York Yankees train in Pompano Beach?

If so, that would give you a 200 mile Amtrak ride to Deerfield Beach and a choice of three trains (two from Orlando, one from Wildwood). Also, within sight of the station is a Ramada Inn, which I guess would be acceptable to you, and I guarantee you (at least by my definition) is quite affordable - even in season.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Don't the New York Yankees train in Pompano Beach?

They've trained in my hometown of Tampa since 1996 or thereabouts. Their spring training stadium, Legends Field, is near the airport, maybe 7 or 8 miles from the Amtrak station in downtown Tampa.

(Also in the Tampa Bay area are the Blue Jays in Dunedin, the Phillies in Clearwater, the Pirates in Bradenton, and the hometown Devil Rays in St. Petersburg. Thruway buses can probably get you near most of these places.)

By the way, UncleBuck44, you might want to purchase game tickets in advance as soon as you firm up your plans...spring training games seem to be a lot more popular these days than when I was a kid, and some of the games do sell out, especially if they're involving a popular team (such as the Yankees and Braves). You can buy tickets through mlb.com.

[This message has been edited by trainman1 (edited 01-29-2004).]

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I can REMEMBER that havent been mentioned:

LA plays in Vero Beach.
Cleveland plays in Winter Haven.
I think Houston Plays in Kissimmee.
Boston in Fort Myers
Lakeland I believe is home to the Tigers
Baltimore plays in FT. Lauderdale
And my hometown Cardinals share a spring training facility with the Marlins in Jupiter.

Im a Baseball and train nut so I make sure to remember everything baseball, go ahead test the baseball knowledge.

But I was just wondering about the Train routes in Florida, and the best baseball sites.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Minnesota Twins are somewhere there too, I think Fort Meyers.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page