RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Please Recommend Overnight Train

Author Topic: Please Recommend Overnight Train
Markr
Member # 3032

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Markr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I am trying to plan a week-long trip with my wife and children ages 10 and 12. We have travelled quite a lot by plane but we all want to try a train trip, especially a sleeper experience. We would want to spend a maximum of two nights on the train, then travel around our destination a bit and fly home.

We live in Chicago and have been to the Northeast part of the US many times. As a family, we have never been to the Western or Pacific Northwest parts of the country.

Our goal would be to find the best trip considering scenery and train equipment. We would book two deluxe sleeper compartments that connect.

I have done some research here and on other sites, but wonder what your suggestions would be. It seems we could choose between the Empire Builder, the California Zephyr, or the Lake Shore Limited. Price is not an issue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmarch
Member # 2953

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always heard that the California Zephyr is one of the best (although I've never been on that one).
Posts: 33 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having "been there done that", I would recommend the Zephyr for an inaugural trip. Since you note that your children are school age and that you have one week to allot for this adventure, this tells me that you will be doing this trip during the summer or possibly the Easter break. Either way these are peak travel periods not only for Amtrak but any other passenger transportation company as well. This also means that you would be using air transport for your return (Westward is THE way to ride the Zephyr).

That you plan to make this journey during a peak period and desire to have two Deluxe rooms en-suite means that no time is too early to firm up your plans and book. Also may I advise that Amtrak does offer an "air-rail' plan partnered with United, which may result in the most economical one-way air fares available for your return.

Although the web site is a good device for "exploring' and for checking general space availability, you will have to book your space by telephone since you desire en-suite accomodations. Also, air-rail, should you desire to use, is only handled by telephone.

As for auto rentals, Amtrak "partners" with Hertz, which I believe results in "10% off' for whatever that may mean. Very few Amtrak stations actually have auto rental counters within, although I have found access to Hertz downtown facilities quite convenient (usually by reimbursed taxicab). Within a given market, an airport return can be made without surcharge. If you have special auto requirements, such as Mini-Van or SUV, be sure to book with sufficient "lead time" for the auto rental concern to locate the vehicle and move it to your downtown location. Nothing is more annoying to have to be transported to the airport (even if gratis) just to pick up your auto.

Lastly, be mindful that the Zephyr terminates in the East Bay area at Emeryville. No Amtrak train has ever terminated in San Francisco.

Hope these thoughts will be of assistance; happy travels.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also cast my vote for the CA Zephyr.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Markr,
I vote for the CZ as well, having traveled on it a couple of times. It's a beautiful trip and there is nothing like sitting in the observation car and watching the scenery go by! The train goes to San Francisco, one of the greatest cities in the world (I'm living right now in the Middle East). The Grant Plaza hotel on the edge of Chinatown is affordable, safe, and enjoyed by many Europeans. Good area with public transport getting you everywhere. A car would be a detriment. Don't bother.
Also, I have found that the RAIL-AIR deal is not always so great. Book the best deal you can on Amtrak, and then check various web-based deals for a one way flight back. Worked out cheaper for me that way.
Enjoy the trip!
Scott

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll also recommend the Zephyr. It has certainly the best scenery of any transcon train, US or Canadian. Westbound, you'll leave Chicago in midafternoon. The next morning after breakfast you'll be climbing the Front Range out of Denver, one of the most breathtaking experiences I've ever had on a train.

After you pass through the six-mile Moffatt Tunnel, you'll have all day in the mountains of Colorado. About 20 years ago, I made this trip with my wife (who is not a railfan). After lunch she decided to retire to our room to read, only to come right back to the lounge car when we entered Ruby Canyon!

The only loss westbound is that it will be dark when you cross the Wasatch Range into Salt Lake City.

The second morning out you'll be in Reno, NV and at the beginning of an all-day trip through the Sierra Nevada mountains to Sacramento.

The train terminates at Emeryville, and there is a bus to downtown San Francisco via the Oakland Bay Bridge. Alternatively, there is a Woodfin Suites hotel adjacent to the Emeryville station, should you want to spend the night in a "real" bed before heading across the bay.

Another alternative is to get off at Richmond and take BART (same station) to San Francisco. This could be tough if you have a lot of luggage.

In any case, enjoy your trip. I'd recommend spring or fall over summer -- you'll have snow on Donner Pass (Sierras). But it's a great trip anytime, and San Francisco is one of my favorite cities in the world.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some other trains I could recommend: The Capitol Ltd, between Chicago and D.C., and the SW Chief. The Capitol enters D.C. within a few blocks of the National Capitol ( Union Station is right downtown), and there are many attractions within walking distance of the Station. For example: The Smithsonian Institution, and the Library of Congress, and the Washington Mall. As this would be only a single night trip, you could also take this train back to Chicago at the end of your stay.

The S. W. Chief, OTOH, goes to Los Angeles, through some very picturesque countryside. The route follows the old Sante Fe wagon trail. You'd be able to spend o few days in "la-la land," and then you would have to strap yourselves into a flying pop can ( oops, meant to type "airplane" -- silly me ) for the ride back home.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cg 96, i wont argue with you that the capitol limited is a nice ride. but i think the cardinal is even better. and it enters DC from the south west, its a nice ride near the washington monument and the capitol building before entering union station (to my knowledge its difficult to see those sights from the capitol limited train)
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will also second the Zephyr. Take it to Glenwood Springs, Colorado, and experience some of the greatest beauty in the country. THat will take a day-and-a-half. Spend several days there enjoying the beauty, and many activities, and then head back, once again experiencing the Rocky Mountains in the daylight.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Markr
Member # 3032

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Markr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot for the replies.

I should have mentioned that we would be going at the end of March. I know this year is out; we are already planning for next year. You might find that odd, but half the fun of travel is in the planning.

We've spent time in Washington, DC, so we didn't look at the Capitol Limited or the Cardinal.

Based on your responses and doing some other research, we are thinking about the California Zephyr out of Chicago, three nights in San Fransisco, fly to Los Angeles, three nights in LA, then fly home.

Do you think the California Zephyr has good equipment and service compared to the other trains?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovesatq
Member # 2691

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Lovesatq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter and I took the CZ cross country just last October and I couldn't say enough of the beauty you'll experience between Chicago and the Bay Area. However, living in the Bay Area I would not recommend stopping in Richmond and taking Bart but stay on until Emeryville, get a hotel there and cross the bridge the next day. The CZ usually runs rather late and you wouldn't be able to see much of SF anyways. Have a wonderful trip
Posts: 9 | From: Benicia, CA, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, the Zephyr is a must. The scenery is awesome! And the train staff know they are travelling through one of the most scenic areas of our Nation.

Also, from San Fransisco, take the Coast Starlight to LA and enjoy several hours hugging the Pacific Ocean coastline and the desolate Edwards Air Force base, with it's shuttle launch pads.

Enjoy, it's a great ride!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark I agree with the CZ route, however I suggest you get off in Grand Junction Colorado, toward the end of the second day on the train. You lose the night on the train, however i note you wrotre that you wanted to do a maximum of two nights going out. This gives you a chancve to ride thru some of the great scenery and then in th early evening get settled and ready fopr action the next. There is considerable to do outdoors in the Grand Junction arae ( th Western Slope of the Rockies) in the spring and summer - hiking, mountain biking, river rafting, fishing, dinosaur monument, wineries. You are close to the mountains and to the desert and even the 4 corners area is accessable. Rent a car and a wide arc of options is available. I think geting off in GJ allows for one more day of family time off the train and you can fly back via United (the fly/rail partner) from GJ.

By the way I am doing a fly rail to NYC this spring with my 6 year old. Train in via deluxe bedroom over one weekend. Week in NY and surrounds, then fly home the next Saturday evening.

Hope that adds worthwhile fuel to your decision process. I live in Denver now but used to live in Grand Junction so I am partial.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more vote for the California Zephyr! If you take it westbound you'll see all of the spectacular scenery of the Rockies in daylight any time of year. This route has long been considered to be the most spectacular rail journey in the country, and was marketed as such many decades ago.

I have a travelogue with photos from our trip on the CZ in August 2000 here: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/MPtoybox2/CZ_aug_2001_p1.html

As for equipment, it can be hit or miss. Like most long-distance trains the Zephyr uses a mixture of Superliner I and Superliner II equipment. The differences are minor, but the S-II cars are newer and tend to be in better shape. But several refurbished S-Is are getting back into service and they are probably as good or better.

For the best of Amtrak equipment you need to ride the Coast Starlight, which uses S-II sleepers exclusively. Plus they have the exclusive Pacific Parlour Car, which no other train has. The Parlour Car is much like the luxurious old style lounges of the streamliner era. But, alas, the Starlight doesn't pass through Chicago.

Finally, I will offer my standard advice to Amtrak first-timers. Expect to have a good time, but don't expect perfection. Most Amtrak trips involve a few glitches, mostly with timekeeping, occasionally with other things. Amtrak is, after all, an underfunded public transportation system, not the Orient Express.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll throw in my vote for the Zephyr also. But, for San Francisco to LA, my personal choice would be to drive down Route 1, including Monterey's 17 mile drive. It's some of the most beautiful scenery, as I'm sure Mr. Toy will attest to. I've done it a few times, and would love to do it again. (I'm an east-coaster, so I can't do it as often as I'd like.)

[This message has been edited by ChrisJ (edited 02-01-2004).]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also vote for the CZ westbound. Cost no object! Must be nice. Spend some time in the bay area. One beautiful place, but also be careful. There are some true wackos there. Went to a nice Chinatown restaurant a few years ago with son and friends and was panhandles agressively more than once in a two block walk, and this a group of four men none under 180 lb. Keep it to daylight and/or high traffic areas. The Coast Starlight to LA is a nice ride and since it is daytime coach will be fine. BUT: Be sure of time before heading to station. This train originates in Seattle, and there are many horror stories of hours late operation. If such should be the case, use the alternate train/dedicated bus run down the valley. Not so scenic but not bad either and much more reliable on time keeping, and a shorter end to end run time.

If you ever get the urge to try this overseas, try Japan with a Rail Pass. It must be purchased outside the country and only usable if entering on a tourist visa. If you like thorough planning it will help. The JR national schedule book runs to nearly 1000 pages, and you can go anywhere in the entire country. The high speed lines (Shinkansen) may be the most famous but the rest of the railway also has frequent service at speeds above those possible on the roads.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also say the CZ. My husband and I took our first long distant trip last October. The Rocky Mountains were so beautiful, it made us sad that we had not taken our children on this trip when they were young. When we got home I thought, it's never too late, so we are going again in April with our two sons. It will be their birthday gifts. We are going from Rochester to Chicago on LSL, CZ to SanFrancisco,staying one night, CS to Seattle, staying two nights, EB back to Chicago then LSL. Seven nights on the train!! My boys have never been on a train so I know they will be "WOWed". One of my sons has lived in LA and toured across country with his band many times, he said his favorite cities were SanFrancisco and Seattle so how much more perfect could this trip be? We wanted to take our daughter and her family along, but I thought it to be too much for my two year old granddaughter. We have to plan a shorter trip her the next time. We will be in standard sleepers #3&4. I wanted rooms on the LL as we had room #12 last time and loved it, but it would have cost $600 more. I believe some things happen for a reason so maybe we will like the upper level better.
Please do take your kids on this trip so you can have no regrets like I did. They are a perfect age to see our beautiful country!

Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone mention that the Lake Shore Limited goes East to New York and Boston and not West.
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, I would also have to agree with MikeSmith. Take the CZ to Emeryville (Oakland area) and spend a day in San Francisco. Catch the Coast Starlight around 8:30am the next day and ride to LA along the pacific coast. You will arrive in LA around 8:00pm. Might want to go to DisneyLand while you are there in LA with the kids. Happy Rails!
Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark,
I posted above, suggesting San Fran. I'll add that I think a minimum of two days is necessary. IMHO, Los Angeles has absolutely nothing unless you want to take your kids to Disneyland. If you only have the week, I would do the CZ out, stay three days in SF and then fly back from SF. Don't expect much from LA!

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Sutton.

I had a day to kill in LA last May, so I took the train to San Diego....

The next time I have a day to kill in LA, I'll take the train to Santa Barbara.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to make this thread into a "pile on LA", especially considering that this site appears to be based in Southern California, but I must agree with those here who are recommending that limited time on the West Coast be spent in San Francisco rather than LA.

I can recall my 1962 first trip to the West Coast as a college student who had just been "dealt his blackjack". Other than Pullman sleeping accomodations for all overnight segments, the trip was pretty much done the way any college student would do a trip - on the cheap!

When I prepared the itinerary (Mom and Dad still had that, if not legal, a "strong moral" right to know my whereabouts), I alotted only one full day in SF, but two full days in LA.

If it were not for a free "side" trip to San Diego, and a visit to the rodent's then-only shrine, the time elapsed in connecting from the Daylight to the Super at LAUPT (now LAUS)would have quite sufficed.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 02-03-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page