RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Whats your Favorite!

Author Topic: Whats your Favorite!
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Myn is there old one, I grew up seeing that Logo and its still my favorite

Whitch of Amtrak's Logos is your Favorite?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

[This message has been edited by JONATHON (edited 02-02-2004).]

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
old one
Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the new logo came out I didn't think it was worth the trouble and expense. However, over time it has grown on me, and I now prefer it. The old one looks dated to me. It reminds me of the dark era in the '70s when every company under the sun was remaking their logos into simple bold lines and primary colors. (Many of those companies have since reverted to their original logos, or something close to it.)

The reductio ad absurdum of this practice was NBC's red and blue split rectangle that sorta looked an N if you looked at it just right. NBC spent millions developing the new logo, only to discover that some regional public TV station came up with the exact same logo for a few hundred dollars. NBC then had to buy out the rights to it. But I digress...

The new Amtrak logo still relies on bold lines, but at least it has some visual depth to it. But given that changing a logo requires considerable expense with new signs, letterhead, and everything else (many of which have yet to be changed), it really wasn't worth the trouble. But I must say it does look good on the side of a Phase IV Genesis locomotive.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mr. Toy. I, too, disliked the new logo when it first appeared. I did concede that the 70's logo was dated and I did like the new color scheme, but at the time I wished that they would have redone the arrow in a newer style and color scheme.

However, having seen the new logo on the engines and behind the counters at NY Penn and Washington Union, I have come to like the new logo.

[This message has been edited by CHATTER (edited 02-03-2004).]

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piedpiper13
Member # 2473

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for piedpiper13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OLD LOGO rocks!!

------------------
"My other car and my plane is AMTRAK!" - Bob

Posts: 24 | From: Clermont, FL USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the old logo.You look at it and immedeately know it's an arrow.The new logo makes you think,"what is it?".When this logo first came out,a friend showed me the South Korean Railways website.They have been using this same logo for the past 20 years!

------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
espeefoamer, do you have a link to the south korean railways website?

i am like most of you, i hated to see amtrak change their logo but now have grown accustomed to it, and like seeing it on the locos.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the new logo to, but the classic one better

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what I miss, is seeing the old logo in the stripes on the ends of the cars (the Phase I paint scheme). It worked well, and I was disappointed when the changed to plain straight stripes the entire length.

Before I saw the new logo it was described in an article as three wavy lines, and that influenced my perception of it. Once I realized the two white gaps represented rails, I began to like it.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I've said this before on this board. . . .

Amtrak's new logo would be more suitable for a deodorant. Or perhaps the type of product that guarantees to keep active women "intimately fresh. . . all day long."

By today's design standards, the colors of the original Pointless Arrow are a bit too "primary." But if the red, white, and blue motif was slightly muted? I'd definitely find the old design preferable to the current one.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 02-03-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, this...
http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/history/uplogo/logo06.shtml

YOU ASKED!!!

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And always, of course...
http://www.ribbonrail.com/art/heralds/pullman.gif

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
old one.

new one looks like it belongs on a football helmet.

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the new one. Let's say it grew on me. To me it symbolizes speed and reliability. Unfortunately, Amtrak has a long way to go with that. The older one seems to represent a joining of various rail lines into one service. Mr. gunn is making a real good effort to have Amtrak demonstrate speed and reliability...lots of hurdles though. I didn't realize he worked for the London Transport with Robert Kiley, the London transport commissioner who is an American. I just recently read an article about it in the Feb. 9 issue of the New Yorker Magazine.It was interesting reading.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he was also running the NYC MTA for a while according to a NY Times article yesterday or Sunday. I think he is canadian in nationality.
Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlrr
Member # 2970

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlrr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to say the newer one. I miss the old one but the new wave image is pretty "modern" and sleek.

Does anyone remember the brief logo Amtrak had on its Hockey game advertisements that looked like the Phase IV paint scheme but said "Amtrak" on top? I didn't like that one much. I'm glad they didn't stick with it.

------------------
http://www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

[This message has been edited by mlrr (edited 02-05-2004).]

[This message has been edited by mlrr (edited 02-05-2004).]

Posts: 9 | From: White Plains, NY, USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee, Wonyoung
Member # 2464

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee, Wonyoung     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi

I am working for South Korean national railroad. Almost everyday I visit this website and enjoy reading writtings and get informations on American railroads.
But until today I don't realize Amtrak's logo is almost same as my company's. I looked into my company logo again and found that two is almost identical.

You can confirm what I am saying by visiting my company's website. It is www.korail.go.kr. But it is written in Koean. So I will teach you how to find the logo. When you are in first page, you will see a blue-color banner on top of page. then press the most left-handed one, then apprears another page, then you can find the English word, CI. then press it. Then you will see my company's logo changes. We use last one now.

But when does the Amtrak start to use the logo? We start to use it from 1995.

--from Seoul, South Korea.

[This message has been edited by Lee, Wonyoung (edited 02-05-2004).]

Posts: 29 | From: South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping someone would bring this up sooner or later...

I like modern stuff, But the old one standed for so much in Amtrak's History (The 60's) and the new one really is different. Also the invention of the internet made them want to get a new technical one..

------------------
Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN
Happy New Year!!

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the "olden days," no one liked the old "pointless arrow." Now everybody is saying how they miss the old logo and don't like the new one -?????? I personally don't care, but the new logo does look more "modern" and symbolizes that at least a little progress has been made in our national rail system over the last 30 years.

Dilly - I still get a kick out of your referring to the new logo as something that looks like a logo for a deodorant or a women's product!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Mr Lee,

Indeed!

Are you still doing project work on cross-border interchange against the day of re-unification?

John

Lee, Wonyoung
Member # 2464

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee, Wonyoung     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pullmanco

As you know I visited some parts of America and Mexico last summer. I completed my report on international transportation. So I don't do the work any more. Now I am researching on safety of railroad, especially on accident of train engineer.

But I have a interest on all kinds of railroad things. I enjoy reading this website writings. If you have any questions on Japan or Korean or China railraod, Please send me email. My address is wonyoung200us@yahoo.com. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Lee, Wonyoung (edited 02-06-2004).]

Posts: 29 | From: South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
The resemblence of the Korean logo to the Amtrak logo doesn't strike me as mere coincidence. Perhaps someone was more than influenced by the Amtrak logo.

For those who couldn't find it, let me try a simpler way to get there: http://www.korail.go.kr./2003/img/intr/im_ci24.gif

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its true, that does look kinda like Amtrak's new logo

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha, it does a bit..
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V/line
Member # 2199

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for V/line     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, another of my infrequent postings on this interesting forum. May I submit the logo of my favourite State operated railway of my country of Australia. This logo,to me still relevant, has been in existence virtually unchanged since 1955.Thanks, Mike. http://www.qr.com.au/
Posts: 8 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDG484
Member # 2907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDG484   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the pointless arrow myself. The logo, ironically, came from none other than the Reading, which had a car called the LEMTU. I forget what that stands for, but it had the same pointless arrow image, although was one color instead of three.
Posts: 49 | From: Drexel Hill, PA 19026 USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page