TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Capitol Limited

Author Topic: Capitol Limited
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody got any thoughts on the on-time performance of the subject train? Specifically, if it's scheduled to arrive in DC at 12:24, do you think it's safe to plan on catching a plane from Reagan at 5:30 or should I go with the 6:30? I'm trying to get to Boston in a reasonable time for dinner.

As an aside, I'm flying out to Palm Springs, CA for $803 and taking the train back from LA for $609 with room and board included! Not bad.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the Capitol Limited last September from Sandusky, OH to Washington and we would likely have arrived less than say 40 minutes late if it weren't for two things: A massive slow order somewhere in West Virginia due to downed trees and trackwork being performed on the CSX Line we were using due to the fact that Hurricane Isabel had payed that area a visit the previous week, also, the HEP died in the train just outside Rockville, MD, and we sat there for 45 minutes while crews weren't able to get it started again, overall, we got in just under 2 1/2 hours late. Getting a 5:30 flight, well, that's a toss-up in light of the equipment problems Amtrak has been having due to the cold. I'd probably play it safe and take a later connecting flight.
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would presume, Mr. Black, you are familiar with the Train Status feature at the Amtrak website. There you can check on the status of any train on the system.

As of a few moments ago, that feature shows that #30, Capitol Limited" is scheduled to arrive Wash 2'15' late or at about 245PM. You could likely be out at DCA using a taxicab by say 330PM and would be OK for a 530PM flight, even considering the lengthened post 9/11 security procedures.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twice I have taken the Capitol Limited into DC and both times were about an hour late. This train has been having much better on time performance than its troubled counterpart, the Lake Shore Limited. One reason for this is that it is equipped with Superliner equipment that handles the cold much better than the single level fleet. I would think that you shouldn't have any problem making the earlier flight, but if the price and everything else is the same, take the later one and use the extra time to make a quick visit to one of the Smithsonian museums. Also- do NOT take a cab from Union Station to Regan National Airport. The metro subway goes right from Union Station to the terminal at the airport, is clean, safe, and will save you at least $20. Have a great trip.
Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert, thanks; I know about the ability to check on today's train's status. Is there any way to check on a train's history over, say, the last week or so? Altho, at this point both you and coachclass have reassured me that 5:30 is probably do-able.

Coachclass, I know about the subway connection, thanks. The last time I was in DC, just before Xmas I went to the Spy Museum - great fun! I'm going to take a chance on the earlier plane because it will get me to Boston in time for a 7:30 dinner with my wife. An hour later makes it kinda late.
Tom Black

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If #30 arrives "more or less' on time as it has on my two most recent trips (oh well, let's watch 30/18FEB blow that hypothesis away), I of course will recommend Metro; totally concur it will save $$$.

Away from rush hour, it simply takes longer; lest we forget it is "mass', as distinct from "personal", transportation.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page