RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Why are we fans?

Author Topic: Why are we fans?
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok everyone, here's a subject sure to get everyone waxing poetic. I've asked myself why I am so fascinated by rail travel and the only explanation I can come up with is that it's unexplanable. It's a little strange really. When I step aboard a train, it just feels like home. The contentment and comfort I feel riding the rails is beyond any words I could conjour. While I do enjoy sitting up at the loop once in a while watching freights roll past, it's passenger trains and travel that really light me up. I do know that the historical aspect of it is a real draw. Even as a kid I spent a lot of time hanging around the stations in Pasadena and Roswell NM trying to connect with how things used to be. The Roswell station obviously no longer had passenger service in 1974, but the waiting room was still open and the agent would let me hang around. Sometimes I'd close my eyes and concentrate really hard hoping that when I opened them there would be a Doodlebug or PA outside. Silly? Sure. My best friend believes it's a past life thing, and although I can't go THAT far, it really does mystify me sometimes. So how about all of you? It's story time!
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefffromark
Member # 827

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jefffromark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first taste began when I was 5 years old as my grandfather was an engineer with the Pennsylvania RR. My mom and grandmother would have me at trackside in Monmouth Junction NJ as his big GG1 came strolling down the now named NE Corridor blowing the horn and tossing a package out the window - usually candy and you know when it hit the ground everything inside was crushed but thats what started my love affair with trains.

When he retired in 1966 my grandparents moved to Florida and every Easter mom and I traveled by train (always Seaboard) down to West Palm Beach. My grandfathers last gift to me before he died was Amtrak's first nationwide Schedule Eff: 5/1/71 - my grandfather passed away the same month.

To this day Im partial toward the Pennsylvania and Seaboard (SAL/SCL) when it comes to railroad books and video's. Im glad for that experience since the SAL/SCL was very pro-passenger.

I still enjoy just sitting trackside watching trains or finding a town where there are multiple grade crossings and pulling up a chair for a few hours.

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a similar post lately where someone made an eloquent statement I really liked: that we are the descendants of nomads and are happiest when traveling across the face of the earth. It is also fascinating to watch tons of steel rolling along to faraway places.

There is a feeling of adventure and uncertainty about train travel (and its onboard service, lateness, and even existence). The hypnotic sounds can be addictive. Trains represent our history and growth as a nation. Depots have rich histories of personal comings and goings.

By the way, welcome aboard, M190 and other new members. I am encouraged that we are getting many valuable and informed new contributors as opposed to the 'trolls'.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an early "love affair" with trains, but didn't become a railfan until I was in high school. When I was young, my mother used to take me and my sisters to Florida after Christmas to spend the winter with our grandmother (Mother was an only child). We would leave Penn Station and travel through the cold, gray, Northeast, have dinner in the dinner, be tucked into bed, and wake up to bright sunshine and green foliage.

My mother preferred the Seaboard, but we made some ACL trips too, especially after the revival of the "Florida Special" in the mid-1960s.

I was always interested in the operation, but was more a "rail romantic" than a railfan, until I became best friends with a hard-core fan in 10th grade. He got me interested in the details of railroading (he collected engine numbers and was a modeler as well).

At the time, my father worked (briefly) for the AAR in Washington, DC, so I had access to their (then wonderful, since dispersed) library. I also could travel on passes.

That was that. I've been a railfan ever since.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I have been known to exhibit railfan-like behavior from time to time, I don't know that I really consider myself to be a "railfan." To me that term connotes an observer's interest in the technical side of railroading, which isn't really my area of interest.

I consider myself to be more of a rail customer, and rail advocate, but for many of the reasons M190 describes as a "fan". It is comfortable, relaxing, and personally enriching. It is also an economical way to travel and see the country at the same time.

I enjoy train travel and appreciate its value as a basic mode of transportation. My experience with Amtrak goes back to 1974, (my only pre-Amtrak train trip was in 1962, when I was 3) but I didn't get passionately involved in rail advocacy until a few years ago. That was when I started researching the political side of Amtrak and got furiously angry with the way Congress has throughly bungled rail transportation policy.

That's not to say I have no interest in the technical side of railroading, but I don't go out of my way looking for that stuff. Most of what I know in that regard I learned while en route to looking up other things.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see......

I like the feeling of motion on a train. That is #1. Not just the forward motion but especially the rock and roll.

I like the look, sound and smells of a train (except for the rest rooms!)

the scenery whether it is nature or industrial.

I like to be away from the cellphone and email.

I like the fact that it is thousands of tons of steel moving like a dancer across the land.

I LOVE to read on the train.

I like to step off in the middle of NYC rather than 45 minutes outside of the city.

For actual travel, when I actually have to be somewhere, I am lucky to live on the NE corridor. it is fast, safe and convenient......usually.

Romance with the rails does live in me. It is a throw back to a more relaxed time.

No security.

I can show up 2 minutes before the train and if it is tight buy my ticket on board.

The breakfast sandwiches. (the new bagel egg cheese is really good) The cheese platter.

Being forced to relax.

I like to hop the train from RHI to NYP, then step into the terminal and right on another train home as an activity for a day off.

It is always an adventure of some kind.

And I could go on....

JMA

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmarch
Member # 2953

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I'm fairly new to rail travel, there are some things about it that ingrigue me:

1) Feeling the momentum of thousands of pounds of steel rocking gently back and forth and joining it in a journey across the country- it's like you become a part of it.

2) The relaxing atmosphere of it all. It's not like flying where everything is rushed- racing to the airport (and gosh I've flown more times than I can count), waiting in long lines, rushing over to find your gate, sitting in a seat that's too small and not being able to move around much. On the train it's easygoing, relaxing, a "no cares in the world" type of feeling. And even though the train's running late- having that freedom to feel "when we get there, we get there, so enjoy the moment" type feeling.

3)Although i'm sure it's not like this on the acela(maybe- i dunno), a feeling of nostalgia like you're back in time when rail travel was the way to go (remember the movies of the 2 lovers where one gets on the train and looks out as the train starts up down the tracks and they gaze at one another...) I guess you could call it a feeling of romanticism.

4)and best of all- my little boy (4 yrs old) absolutely LOVES trains! He's fascinated with them- for his last birthday, we got him a 414 page book about trains called The Great Book of Trains which lists and has photos of just about every kind of Locomotive ever made!

Posts: 33 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy train travel because I enjoy traveling around the country and looking at scenery and pretty (plus some not-so-pretty) places. You can't see anything from an airplane, and trains are much safer than planes. Also, although I am basically a shy person (except when I am with people I already know), I do enjoy meeting and talking to people on the train.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I actively participate at three railroad message boards, it would be pretty difficult to deny being a fan.

First, i am hardly from a family that had any interest or affiliation whatever in railroads; rail travel was something to be avoided, no doubt owing to WWII experiences. In fact, I can recall being sent off on a canoe trip in Canada during 1956 when my mother simply said "why do you want a camera; why do you want to take pictures of steam engines, didn;t they get rid of those things?".

When I signed up back in 1958 for a lifetime subscription to TRAINS for $60, I was met with "well you sure threw $60 away, but oh well, it's YOUR money". I wish every stock I have picked over the years was so successful as an investment.

I must note that being in the industry 1970-81 did not enhance one's desire to be a fan. That of course is hardly saying railroad employment was "just a job".

After leaving the industry at the end of 1981, it simply appeared to be a case of "take the train' only if convenient. that meant METRA/BN(SF) into Chi or "out East' traveling in the Corridor; also meant that if I was routing a scheduled trip to Florida via Wash, I would use the Auto Train, which by the way is the most "non-fan" LD train on the system.

I did make a 1991 "bumper to bumper post" trip on #4; this was simply brought about because I had friends on the West Coast, and booked a discounted air ticket to go out and visit. However, I quickly learned that friends "move on", no one's fault, but I was 'stuck' with a trip, save one visit, that would have included some three days of "dead" time. Rather than "stare at four walls" in a hotel, I inquired of Amtrak if there was any space available on #4; there was, Std (then Economy) #1 no less. At least I had something to do, even though I was less than happy about being without shower (S-I's had not yet been retrofitted with Amtrak's greatest innovation to LD travel)for two days.

There were subsequent possibilities for LD travel to go somewhere for a purpose (as distinct from "travel for travel's sake"). One was a seminar at "The Meadows'(my second career as a CPA in private practice), but now-deceased girlfriend (who already had her bags packed one month in advance) didn't want to hear of wasting all that #$%^&*@ time and money, so it was off to ORD (as was the case with any other trips with her).

Quite honestly, the rekindling of railfan interest came with the internet, when, after going on-line during May 1999, I "stumbled into' this and the other major message boards. I am not in the least interested in imaging or recording, even though I acknowledge I take walks along a public street adjacent to the BNSF and usually about the time #3-4-5-6 are scheduled to pass.

So now that I am retired from any compensable activities, I guess I can "come out" and proclaim "I am a fan".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice to see your Post Gilbert
Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DepotLoafer
Member # 2518

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DepotLoafer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

This question really caused me to reflect on my interest/obsession/romance with trains. This is my only post in response to other posed questions. My other single post was a question I had last year.

Even though I do remember going to the train station to watch the trains take on water when I was very young, I think my first memory of trains being a mode of transportation must have been while growing up in a small South Carolina town during WWII and observing many young soldiers traveling to or from training camps. I would go to the train station and sell my bags of boiled peanuts, 10 cents a bag, to those soldiers. I must have kept a schedule of the train arrivals even at that young age. Other youth would sell sandwiches, candy, other munchies, or newspapers. I guess those young soldiers were gullible, thinking that their military pay, being more money than they could make in factories or in the fields, was more than they would need. Some may have thought they were off to war and would not need it much longer.

My first train ride was after WWII. I recall a family member taking me to the next town, 15 miles away, and allowing me to ride the train home. In the late 1940’s and early ‘50’s, while living in Dayton, Ohio, I recall going to the closest railroad tracks and hopping trains on a regular basis. I recall riding all the way to the repair yard and watching the engines being turned around on a “turntable”, at least that’s what we called it.

The next recollection I have about trains was when my best friend and I, during the summer break from our first year at college in 1956, observed a train passing by the same station we had watched WWII troops pass by. We admired the people who were traveling on those trains with such apparent leisure. The next day we joined joined the Army. Our leisure was over for awhile. After basic training I was able to take a train from Greenville, SC to Boston, Ma. for my first military assignment. After that I made two other train trips before AMTRAK. After my tour in SE Asia, and a flight from Manila to Sfran, I took the train to South Carolina. That trip was pretty close to the CZ route of today into Chi. The next trip was from SC to Norfolk, VA. Those pre-AMTRAK trips were probably the last of the “romantic rails”.

My wife, not having the same love of rail travel, did agree to make an AMTRAK vacation with me. We travelled from Charlotte to Wash to Montreal, rented a car, spent a week in Quebec Province, then made the return rail trip.

I continue to look at this website with interest and enjoy the excitement that others have with their rail trips. I hope to make an LD trip this spring.

Thanks for asking this question, I have enjoyed reflecting on my rail interest.

Posts: 2 | From: Hickory, NC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am a lurker for sometime. And riding Amtrak for 30 years - mostly out west. I'm the product of two RR families, MKT and ATSF. So some of my earliest memories are riding the rails as a little kid in the cab with my granddad or on the turntable at the roundhouse or in the dining car with grandma. Spent many summer nights as a little kid in the 50s and early 60s sleeping in a hot old foreman's car in railyards all over Kansas. My next trip in March will be from Seattle to TX via Empire Builder and Texas Eagle. Just do it for the memories.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was small, railroad tracks ran for a few miles along a section of U.S. 60 we used to travel, then the tracks curved off and were swallowed by the hills. I always wondered where the tracks went. Now I'm finding out.
Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't be able to wax quite as poetic as GBN, but I wanted to be part of this conversation.

From the time I was born our family would visit my maternal grandparents in No. Idaho every summer, which in the early days, was accomplished by taking the train from Boston to Spokane. This was a great adventure and fun to be out visiting my grandparents. So early on I've associated train travel with good times. Today, I like the train for the same reasons that many of you have already mentioned: meeting people, reading, watching the scenery, the smells (not the WC), being away from the phone, etc.

I guess I would classify myself as a "Mr. Toy-type" I don't know anything about the technical side of getting a train from here to there, although about 10 years ago I tried to buy 2 railroads (best thing I never did!)

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love everything about train travel. I refuse to fly. I was always a fearful flyer and I decided several years ago to stop this. And stop being in a hurry. Take the train.
I love packing and driving to the station. Even though the Houston station is revolting, it is in an old part of town I remember as a kid. It has not changed any!
I love seeing the train pull in.
I love getting in my room.
I love going to eat in the diner.
I love the food on the train.
I love not being able to sleep because I am so jazzed up!
I love waking up and peeping out the curtain and trying to guess where I am!
I love that my hubby and I are romantics and somehow managed to join the 50 mile an hour club!
I love that my children like to ride the train more than fly " cause of mom".
I love that the kids like to spend this time being together.
I love not having to race through metal detectors, armed guards etc.
I love seeing things that I never saw in a plane: a house in the blue ridge mountains, the raised graveyard that went on for miles in Louisiana, an old building in Atlanta that looked abandoned, yet there was a growing potted plant in a window.
Ok...that is just a few...

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for posting replies to my question! I've enjoyed reading them even more than I thought I would. It's nice to know there are others out there who share my passion. Reading all of your stories has brought back even more memories, so now I'll share one of my own first experiences.

In the spring of 1976 I was to spend the summer with my dad in Chicago. I was 12 at the time and had always liked trains but had almost no knowledge of them. I'm not sure how I came to it, but at that time I was under the impression that Amtrak was some sort of evil government competitor of my beloved Santa Fe and that the SF was still running! When my dad suggested I take the train there from California, I didn't sleep for a week trying to decide between the Santa Fe or the UP. Imagine my dismay when my dad called to tell me that he had arranged for my trip on Amtrak and that the SF and UP no longer were running passenger. For a while I was crushed, but as the day grew near, the excitement grew until I didn't care if it was Amtrak or not, I was going cross-country on a train by myself!! I boarded in Pasadena, my dad's idea because it was closer to Glendale and easier to get to than LAUPT. Since I had almost no knowledge of passenger trains, I was astonished when the Southwest Limited rolled into Pasadena and the cars were double-decker!! Of course now I know to treasure that trip on the Hi-Levels. Also, I suppose I was expecting something out of a western movie, wooden benches and open vestibules, becuase I remember being in awe of the quiet interior with the big soft seats and carpet! I'll remember that day like yesterday as long as I live, especially the cool light-up plastic hand rails on the stairs! It was a very odd sensation when the station suddenly started moving backward! No herky-jerky like the freight trains I'd seen. The memory of that first night out is lost to time, but the next morning was unforgettable. I'm not sure how I managed it being a shy kid, but the next morning I had my breakfast in the diner. My French toast came as we were sitting in the Flagstaff station and I recall marvelling at how bizarre it was to be surrounded by such civility while such snow-bound mayhem was going on on the platform.
Somewhere during that second day I summoned the courage to go exploring, and being clueless about classes (I was in coach) found the dome lounge for the sleepers. No one told me I couldn't, so I did! I climbed the stairs in the empty car and took a seat. Seeing what was on the bulkhead at the front of the dome was like a bolt of lightning hitting me. It was the classic "Chief" emblem in relief. This was a Santa Fe car! Now I realize I was in a genuine Pleasure Dome, complete with a Turquoise Room. I had found that under the dome and been puzzled about it at the time. I spent the rest of my trip in that dome, except for food and restroom of course. Even when the A/C went out the next day and it had to be 110 degrees up there, I stuck it out. It was especially cool at night when the lights of oncoming trains could be seen miles away, and signal lights flashed by the dome.
There are so many memories of that trip I could go on for hours, but I need to save some bandwidth for everyone else! Thanks again everyone.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDG484
Member # 2907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDG484   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother used to tell me that when I was at the very tender age of 2, I used to drag her down to the end of the block to watch the Red Arrow trolleys go by. We watched PCC-type interurban cars, Brilliners, and Master Units, along with the occasional appearance by yellow work car No. 07. It just went from there. My father used to take me for rides on the P&W Bullet trains when I was 5; by the time I was 16 I was riding Amtrak Metroliners to Harrisburg. When I was 20, I became an Assistant Conductor with SEPTA, and I have since gone on to much bigger and better things as a Conductor with Amtrak, which I am currently employed.
Posts: 49 | From: Drexel Hill, PA 19026 USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love train travel. My first long distance trip was in 1990 on the SW Chief. I was going to fly to LA,but the cost was a bit high and I ve taken Amtrak a few times and I thought I d try it. Thats when my love affair with trains began. I ve ridden almost every Amtrak LD train,some several times and I ve taken cross country routes many times. Thats my vacation...an Amtrak journey. I never tire of the thrill of watching my train arrive at the station, boarding and finding my seator going to my sleeper.

Only a real train buff would go to the rail sale page, find a $10 round trip from Martinsburg Wva to Washington DC,but drive three hours to get to Martinsburg! Due to time restrictions Im flying to San Diego next month and taking the train back..San Diego to Santa Barbara...back to LA..up to Bakersfield to Sacramento, the CZ to Chicago and the Capital Limited to DC and up to BWI to get my car. A train ride that would normally take three days streched out to five..theres nothing like a train ride. I hope I never lose this feeling. Even after all the trains I have ridden it still feels brand new every time!

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M190, I remember riding on those Hi-Level cars with my grandmother (she had her ATSF pass). They were truly wonderful cars when they were new. I had forgotten those lighted hand rails. What a hoot they were. I took at least one trip in those cars on the Texas Chief. It must have been toward the end or maybe right after Amtrak took over. I remember the transition car with steps going down in the front of coach to connect with the low level cars.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Gray, I'm with you! Hopefully this time next year I'll be doing a tour of North America from here in Bakersfield including the CS, Canadian, and who knows what else. When my friends ask me where I'm going and I say "nowhere" they always look at me kinda funny. I even plan it so I have no overnights off the train! And Panama, those stairs really tripped me out when I was kid. I did wonder though why the front transition was a SL with stairs up and the rear was a Hi-Level with stairs down. ??? When I took my first trip on a Superliner and realized they had used plain stainless handrails I was Peeved at Amtrak for a month!
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fumes5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the trains because of the Sounds, Sights, and Smells of Railroading. I love the feeling of the train rocking from one side to the other, The smell of grese thats bee caked on and the musty smell of a Superliner Coach, The Sight of the envy/shock/horror/excitment on little kids faces as we pull into a station stop. You can just feel the energy level of them. But the main reason I love the trains is they bring back some of the happiest memories for me. I recall one trip on the Starlight back in the late 80's, when i was a little one, To Disnyland. I remember walking the train with my dad before we started to fight constantly. Still to this day when i have had a particularly stressful week, going to the depot to watch the trains pull in sooths my anger and stress. I love that feel of when im on a train, time has been stoped, it doesnt matter. Thats why i became and still am addicted to trains.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page