RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak called and offered a discounted upgrade!

Author Topic: Amtrak called and offered a discounted upgrade!
jmarch
Member # 2953

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They called today and confirmed our trip for next week and then offered to upgrade the trip to Orlando to a standard bedroom for only $100!! I was sure to jump on that offer! They offered an upgrade for $150 for the return trip, but i passed on that one.
Posts: 33 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another trip to Orlando? That's twice in two months. Maybe I should invest in more Disney stock.

You did the right thing by taking the sleeper offer. If you've never traveled in a standard room, you'll be surprised by how tiny it is. But that's part of the fun.

Just wrap a foot or two of duct tape around a pencil and take it along. At night, it'll come in handy for stretching and fastening Amtrak's famous "shrunken curtains" so they completely cover the windows. You can also use the tape to silence any squeaks that might arise from loose fittings and panels.

Have a great trip.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute, Dilly....

If you don't occasionally "flash" the nosy people walking down the isle or the people watching the train go by, where's the fun in riding in a sleeper? (Yes, I always look straight ahead when walking the isles at night....)

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmarch
Member # 2953

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep- this will be the first time in a sleeper for us. My son and I are both very excited for this trip! Great tips Dilly! Thanks. I'm still laughing at mikesmith's post- i guess it's hard to stay decent in small rooms where the windows tend to want to stay uncovered- LOL.
Posts: 33 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my upcoming itinerary of CHI-30(18FEB)-WAS-91(19)-ORL-1(24FEB)-NOL-58(25)-CHI, I'm hoping the phone will ring regarding upgrades to Deluxe from Standard for CHI-WAS and ORL-NOL segments at roundly $50 each. I cannot reasonably expect any offers on the other two.

In short, if they come a callin', bite!!!

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 02-08-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
If you've never traveled in a standard room, you'll be surprised by how tiny it is. But that's part of the fun.

It's not tiny, it's cozy. Except the upper bunk ceiling clearance. That's tiny.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulr
Member # 2761

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for paulr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a deal! Are you sure you want to pass up the $150 return trip offer. If the trip lasts at least 1 night I think the price is a bargain, especially when you factor in the meals for you and your son are included.
Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 32 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmarch
Member # 2953

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh- i know paulr- I'm really debating that one hard- even at $150, it's still a good deal. i've already gotten so much $$ into this trip already- train tickets there and back, in a sleeper on the way there, 3 nights in a hotel in Orlando, and a day at Disney. LOL it's adding up fast! And actually, it's the return leg of the trip that I'd really rather go in the sleeper.
norse62
Member # 2490

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for norse62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they call when you win an Ebay bid?

I am assuming not, due to the non-upgrade policy.

Anyone?

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I haven't ever been offered a cheap upgrade when I travel on a ebay ticket. I do suspect though, that even though the ticket says "no upgrades" that once you get on the train and there is still empty sleeper space, the conductor would be willing to sell you an upgrade to fill the space and make extra money.
Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jmarch,
Just like coachclass suggested. If you do not get the $150 sleeper for the trip back (which is a real good deal) it is possible to purchase a sleeper onboard from the Conductor at a discount. We often have cancelations and room do pop up and become available. Also if the first Conductor does not have any rooms check with the next relieving Conductor down the rail. Remember we change crews frequently during a long trip and the new Conductor will have an updated manifest. If you do get a room at night and are getting off early in the morning remind the Conductor that you are not going to be in the room long enough to receive your free meals and he should take that into concideration with the price of the room.

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmarch
Member # 2953

Rate Member
oh thanks Sheriff- that's great advice!! We'll be boarding in Winter Park around 2 pm and scheduled to arrive around 9:30 am in New Orleans, so really that would just be one night's sleep and maybe just dinner and breakfast meals. I'll be sure to ask when we board.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've twice had Amtrak call me when I had segments booked in coach and offer to upgrade me to a sleeper for that magic "Just $100.00 more" figure.

Once was on the California Zephyr between Sacramento and Salt Lake City. The other was on the Southwest Chief between Los Angeles and Albuquerque. I imagine that in both cases they were rooms that were booked from say Albuquerque or Denver east and Amtrak wanted to capitalize on space that would otherwise have been vacant.

------------------
David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As previously reported here, I'm leaving for Orlando today on #30. As of a few moments ago, Deluxes are open on CHI-30(18)-WAS and ORL-1(24)-NOL segments.

Like the teenie rock songs from "my day" went, "Sittin' by the phone...hopin' for the call" and if the Std to Deluxe upgrade is in the $50-75 range per segment, I'll bite.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever been called with an offer to upgrade from a Standard room to a Deluxe?

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 02-18-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page