RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Least Favorite Thing about Amtrak (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Least Favorite Thing about Amtrak
polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously everyone here loves trains and Amtrak. However, it would be unwise to let our enthusiasm mask our concerns about Amtrak. For me my least favorite thing is the dinky sleeper rooms which are very expensive! When i go over night I want somewhere to stay thats comfortable, but I also want some money left in my wallet. The sleepers (single, double, deluxe, and family) are all small cramped uncomfortable, and way too expensive!)

Whats your least favorite thing about Amtrak?

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much more comfortable are the sleepers than not having one and sitting on a chair all night? At least in a sleeper you have privacy and can sleep easy knowing with a locked door nobody is going to go through your private bags...

I have not travelled on Amtrak yet, my journey is in June and I have to say I just can't wait for the trip from LA to Montreal to begin!!

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind the size of the standard sleeper (although the berths on The Canadian are far superior), but they would get more riders (and thus more revenue!) if they brought the price down.
My main gripe: fire the slackers (I realize this is a minority of Amtrak employees, but they exist). What company in the world keeps its rude employees?

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My biggest pet peeve: Superliner rest rooms!!! The more I use them the more I despise them. Everything about them is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Here's a list of my gripes:
-They are way too tiny. I remember the days of the Heritage cars (when that's all Amtrak had, before they were called "heritage") and those cars (coaches anyway) had HUGE rest rooms. Large enough for a real, full sized toilet and space to pull up your pants without bumping your elbows. An 18" square of floor space just ain't enough folks.
I've been in airliner restrooms that were bigger. Since Superliners have so much more space to begin with, you'd think they could have kept the rest rooms at a reasonable size.

-The faucets are under too much pressure and splatter (now and then I find one that has reasonable pressure, so it can be done properly).

-The toilet paper holder is in a cubbyhole behind your hip where you can't reach it. So the TP ends up on the counter where it gets splattered by water from the sinks.

-The paper towel dispenser is directly above the kleenex dispenser. So people with wet dripping hands reach for a towel and drip all over the tissue.

-The waste can lid snaps back too fast and pinches your fingers after you dispose of your towels.

-Superliner coaches have a wheelchair accessible handicapped rest room, which is quite spacious, but they even found a way to screw that up, too. They crammed the toilet and sink all at one end, placing the toilet at a 45 degree angle to the sink. So your chin is almost in the sink basin when you sit down to do your business.

As far as I'm concerned, hell isn't fire and brimstone. It's a Superliner toilet.

I have no objection to the sleepers, but they could use a wee bit more floor space when the beds are deployed.

Note to Sutton: Sleeper prices have been reduced substantially in the last year or two. The fare my wife and I are paying for our trip at the end of the month is about the same as I paid for myself alone on the same trip in 2002. That 2002 trip was one where I got "the call" from Amtrak for a discounted sleeper upgrade.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 02-09-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pet peeve is cleanliness. The trains I've been on have never been squeaky clean, but I chalked it up to the fact that I am usually taking the Empire Builder south to Chicago from Wisconsin, when it is at the end of its run. However, last year I took it to Seattle and back, and it was filthy and smelly when we boarded in Seattle. There was no hand soap ever on the bathroom, the toilet paper was always wet as there was no dispenser and it was set on the sink, there was no lock on the shower downstairs and no towels or soap ever provided, garbage cans were overflowing when we boarded in Seattle, seats were smelly, etc. I love trains, but this lack of basic cleanliness and maintenance was a real turn-off, and tended to be the main topic of conversation in my sleeping car, along with the oppressive lack of air conditioning. Everyone kept their doors open because of the temperature, so comments could often be overheard, and they weren't compimentary.
Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toilets, no problem -- size of sleepers, no problem. On-time performance -- BIG BIG BIG problem!! This is my one main gripe about AMTRAK -- their very very very shoddy on-time performance record. As I have said before, I realize this is largely due to AMTRAK's contracts with the host railroads, bit come on, guys -- can't you work out something reasonable??
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cleanliness.

The canadians really clean the southbound adirondak well and in each seat back there is a new trash bag. A really great idea. I have never seen a US train in such good shape.

Is it possible to make train bathrooms anything less than gross? If so I would like to complain about them too.

Jon

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't feed the trolls

[This message has been edited by polarbearucla (edited 02-14-2004).]

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The standard sleeper can be a little larger.
No real clubcar like on the 50's streamliners.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree PolerBear,

This is getting out of control

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you get out of this ______________?

A.

PS. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CONTACT TRAINWEB TO TRACK THIS PEROSN DOWN< THEY CANT HIDE FOREVOR!

------------------
--Anton
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah!

so everyone can get back to Amtrak stuff!

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, lets just leave this creep alone. Calls for a moderator and or disgust w/ these posts just give the poster the satisfaction of knowing that we are disgruntled by his posts. So lets just ignore these posts and continue on posting about trains!
littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for littletrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is getting out of control. let this post be the last one and just ignore them. the more we make a big deal about it the more of a problem it will be.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not enough trains on the CHI and STL corridor
a late tran would be great it would save a night in CHI or a late Airline flight

Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happyinkorea
Member # 3060

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for happyinkorea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a former NARP member looking back on it all, my least favorite thing about Amtrak was the late trains. Because the government over there didn't support Amtrak and so they were always desperate to keep operating any trains at all. Of course these days I can't complain anymore...
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To happyinkorea: I will be in Korea for this next weekend. Could you give me some quick guidance for a day of worthwhile train rides while my wife is in meetings? How is the high speed there going? Here it is supposed to open April 1. I tried the Korean rail web site, but could not find any English, and neither I nor my computer knows how to read Korean. my email ghharris44@yahoo.com
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also say the bathrooms. They get real bad by the end of the trip. As for the lateness, it's not late if you plan on it being late.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all of you who suggested ignoring the snert, here here! Ignore it and it will go away. Anyway, my least favorite thing has to be the percentage of surly employees. A bad crew can really spoil a trip. I'm probably a little hyper sensitive to such things since I deal with customers myself, but I am a LOUSY customer! I expect to be treated the way I treat my customers, with respect and courtesy. On the other hand, Amtrak has gotten MUCH better about this in the past ten years or so. It used to be much worse.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDG484
Member # 2907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDG484   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Least favorite thing about Amtrak:

Putting up with the snobbiness of passengers (and those Washington Conductors, too!). I've tried ignoring it, but I've had to call the cops on them more than once. You call me a piece of human garbage, let's see who becomes the garbage when he's sitting in the holding tank and having to pay a fine for disorderly conduct!!

Otherwise I enjoy my job as an Amtrak Conductor. Fortunately, 99% of my passengers are great to be with and a pleasure to serve.

[This message has been edited by RDG484 (edited 02-10-2004).]

Posts: 49 | From: Drexel Hill, PA 19026 USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold up....you called the cops on fellow passangers and/or conductors? Either you have been really unlucky w/ the people you have encountered or this is a huge lie. I've been on Amtrak, and everyone is really nice, until the train gets off schedule. And even then there is only grumbling at worse. Never has any situation developed remotely near to a point where I would call the cops. Btw if you call the cops on Amtrak, is local/state/federal or amtrak special cops that respond?

If your story is really true then I apologize for my lack of faith, however this sounds a little outragous.

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happens...
http://www.railforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/001553.html

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

rr_conductor
Member # 2590

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for rr_conductor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Obviously everyone here loves trains and Amtrak. However, it would be unwise to let our enthusiasm mask our concerns about Amtrak. For me my least favorite thing is the dinky sleeper rooms which are very expensive! When i go over night I want somewhere to stay thats comfortable, but I also want some money left in my wallet. The sleepers (single, double, deluxe, and family) are all small cramped uncomfortable, and way too expensive!)

Whats your least favorite thing about Amtrak?

People like you complaining about nothing
or something your momma wouldn't even give to you.

What do you need a dance hall?

Either your 7 foot tall, traveled with 6 kids or you must have been spoiled
all your life!

Take Greyhound and see what you get, or better yet, take an expensive plane
and see how often you can get up to stretch. With a room, no matter what
size, you can close your door and have complete privacy, stretch out and
even go to the bathroom in complete privacy without sitting on someone
else’s urine and you can go to the cafe or diner if they have one.

Amtrak is or never has been about getting you here to there fast like a
luxury plane or any plane for that matter, Amtrak is all about getting you
there with your feet on the ground with the country side within view and not
raping you like an airline.

Oh yea, by the way… I work for Amtrak as a conductor and I have had to
listen to people like you making complaints once in a while and let me tell
you something… people like you should drive so everyone else can travel in
peace.

[This message has been edited by rr_conductor (edited 02-10-2004).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for littletrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rr this is completely uncalled for, polarbear is just stating something he doesnt like about amtrak, its not like he is saying amtrak is terrible, its just nothing is perfect. To me your response is just as bad as the other reply to this thread that got deleted. With all due respect there is no reason for personal attacks.

I myself am 5 foot 5 345 (im a shot putter) and i do feel the sleepers are too expensive and not roomy enough. the standards are too small for anyone but a midget and the delux and family seat two at a maximum

[This message has been edited by littletrain (edited 02-10-2004).]

Posts: 117 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rr_conductor,

I've always wanted to work for Amtrak, I've herd that if you want to be an engeener, that first your an assistant Conductor, then Conductor, then Engeener.

Is that how it works?
And also, what kind of training does it take?

------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
also the doors to the sleepers need to be bigger cause i always have trouble squeezing in, im hopeing i will be able to on my next trip over spring break if not i will be in trouble
rr_conductor
Member # 2590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_conductor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

First of all, littletrain... Go on a
diet and then you will fit on board and stop shot putting those dairy ... lol
queens.

Secondly, Jonathon... You can hire out anywhere in
the company...the trick is to get your foot in the door then whenever they
have an operating dept. vacancy come up weather it be a Assistant Conductor
or engineer apply, that's how it works.

Some railroads like NS force all trainman other than
the old prior right dogs to qualify as engineers.

Running an engine is not all fun and games Jonathon,
your attention span has no time to rest like on other jobs... can you bounce
a basketball, whistle dixie and ride a tricycle at the same time...that's a
engineer's job... be a conductor it's better.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
my health is of no concern of yours i was just speaking about the sleepers u dont have to insult me like that, that is completely rude and uncalled for.
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to thank rr_conductor for making my point about surly employees, and doing it so eloquently.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
also may i ask why u feel my weight is of any concern to you. i try and loose weight but snikers just taste too good. I cant believe that u think it is ok to insult somebody based on their weight. Maybe you have a lot of anger built up inside of you but this is a friendly chatroom and there is no reason to insult anyone
rr_conductor
Member # 2590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_conductor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

littletrain?? you mean "freighttrain"!

You cant fit through the door and you think that its Amtrak's problem...maybe we should make a custom coach just for you?? with a dairy queen and a snicker machine in it.

Isn't this funny enough for you? I think your hilarious for you to say how Amtrak should make doors bigger so you can fit in...I'm 220 lbs 5'08 and I can get into any spot on the train without any problems, maybe you should check out diet.com and see if they will customize a diet for you or better yet lets customize a train for you and call it the Ryder Express or U-Haul Local.

Your probably one of those people that bring a big travel trunk with you along with 4, 48 inch carryon bags and complain that their isn't enough luggage room or complain about all the crew members that are so unprofessional because they wont help you load your 85 lb. carryon.

Get real littletrain....now how was that? friendly enough?

rr_conductor
Member # 2590

Rate Member

This is for M190 who thinks I am another one of them ill-humored employees

I am extremely nice when on and off the job because my job and life require it of me but when I view a bulletin board that contains stupid posts or how it says that people on Amtrak are surly employees… That does make me Ill-Humored. A lot of employees on Amtrak do a very good job dealing with the public but just like anywhere else we have bad apples, and anyone can tell you that people do have a boiling point. I know what you’re going to say, that if you can’t do the job, then don’t do it right?? I’ve seen almost everyone even the nicest Conductors get worked up because of distraught passengers or being involved in certain situations and they couldn’t help themselves getting worked up, that’s one of the downfalls about working with the public. Sometimes they suck.

Ok here’s a scenario for you…try this on for size and let me know how you would handle this.

Your 3.5 hrs late, you are traveling at 79 mph with 2 engines 30 cars (7 are psgr. cars) 1 A.C. 4 OBS crew and 275 passengers aboard. You have lousy equipment and it’s very cold outside in multiple track territory at night.

You have 1 rider who had a bad day and has it on his mind that he’s going to ruin everyone’s day by being rude to all who look at him and another who thinks he or she can move the entire collage dorm room inside a coach all while trying to deal with a grandmother who only speaks Spanish who has
missed a connection and needs information and another passenger in another car who has had to much to drink and is now hitting on a very young lady who doesn’t want to be near him, all while dealing with a form-D 15 miles ahead and 2 temporary speed restrictions coming up soon and a café attendant who needs cups off of a passing train within the next 20 mins.

Tell me how you’re not going to have a bad day once in a while?

So why wouldn’t I come in here and tell it like it is??

I’m not on the clock and if it’s a stupid post I’m going to say it’s a stupid post.

boyishcolt
Member # 3001

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for boyishcolt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is a form D ??
Posts: 193 | From: illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rr, you are new here, and don't know these people as I do. We try to keep this a civilized board. There's no need to jump all over these guys over an honest difference of opinion. If you disagree, that's OK, but "shouting" with large type and making ad hominem attacks is not acceptable behavior around here.

We are all Amtrak fans, and Amtrak customers. We want Amtrak to succeed (so you can keep your job and we can keep a valuable mode of transportation that many of us rely on), but we are all well aware that while Amtrak does do many things well, It does have its faults. We feel that by pointing them out, it may encourage folks at Amtrak (like you) to help correct them. Denying their existence or referring to constructive criticism in a hostile manner isn't helping Amtrak, or anyone.

You say you are friendly on and off the job. Why does that level of courtesy end at your computer keyboard?

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
RR, your point is well taken. If you had been reading this board more often you would have read earlier posts of mine praising most Amtrak employees and even stating that the situation has improved greatly in the past ten years or so. I've have on occassion gone to great lengths to be an apologist for Amtrak, even to the point of explaining to fellow passengers how this problem or that wasn't Amtrak's fault. Once I even had the Chief of Onboard Services on the Starlight thank me for the assist. Having said that, the point remains that there are some Amtrak employees who have no business being in ANY customer service position. The fact that not everyone can do this job is not an insult any more than to say that not everyone is cut out to be a bull rider. Some have it, some don't. I'm sorry you became so offended at some of our remarks, but please keep in mind that we are on YOUR side as fans and customers of Amtrak. But all of this misses the point anyway. What lit me up was your personal insults to the other poster. Taking exception to another's remarks is one thing, personal attacks are quite another. Please accept my apologies for my quip, as it was no more acceptable than yours. I do not know you and should not have commented on your job performance based on your post. In the future though, please try and be more civil with your disagreements. And for the record, I would have no idea how to handle that situation you mentioned. I leave that sort of thing to the pros.
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Form D is a NORAC form, officially called a "movement permit." It's a pre-printed form of paperwork that allows conductors, engineers, M-O-W workers, etc, to fill in specific special instructions ( such as speed restrictions ahead, low clearances, or prohibited areas) and details on the tracks ahead of the train in question.

quote:
Originally posted by boyishcolt:
what is a form D ??

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
rr if u cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen. If being on a train makes you upset, then get of the train. angry conductors dont make people ride trains more often, and if people dont ride trains then you will be out of a job. Why do u feel it is necessary to come on to this board with an angry attitude and insult me. maybe your parents were mean to u as a child or u have a lot of anger from a lack of friends, or maybe you are just a mean person, but evreyone on this board for the most part gets along and there is no reason for this hostility. If posts from this board anger you then dont come to railforum its that simple. there is no reason to attack others when you can simply ignore them. AS a conductor you have a lot of insight that u could bring to this board but just bring it in a kind fashion.

RDG484
Member # 2907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDG484   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by polarbearucla:
Hold up....you called the cops on fellow passangers and/or conductors? Either you have been really unlucky w/ the people you have encountered or this is a huge lie. I've been on Amtrak, and everyone is really nice, until the train gets off schedule. And even then there is only grumbling at worse. Never has any situation developed remotely near to a point where I would call the cops. Btw if you call the cops on Amtrak, is local/state/federal or amtrak special cops that respond?

If your story is really true then I apologize for my lack of faith, however this sounds a little outragous.

I've never called the cops on any fellow employees, although one DC conductor did call the cops on me because it insulted his intelligence that I dare set foot on his "royal throne" (actually a Metroliner), even though I was assigned by the crew dispatcher to ride this particular train. I made him look really stupid in front of the cop, who eventually authorized me to ride, but as the conductor came back to seat-check me, I could hear him call me a "Piece of Human Garbage" under his breath. This particular individual has since retired.

What I meant was if a passenger talks down to me and I can't calm him/her down myself, the Amtrak cops will be called (Amtrak has their own Police Dept. in the Northeast) and the unruly passenger will be dealt with by them.

[This message has been edited by RDG484 (edited 02-11-2004).]

Posts: 49 | From: Drexel Hill, PA 19026 USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flaming a group of what have to be the most dedicated supporters of Amtrak in the country is an interesting technique for employees to generate support for an underfunded, underutilized gem of the United States transportation infrastructure.

Issues, issues. Kind of nicely highlights how messed up the govrenment treatment of this railroad and its employees is though.

Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rr_conductor: I guess it can get to you sometimes. As for the college student who carries the "whole dorm room" along.. should not be alowed on board until he/she used checked baggage if possible according to their dep. and arr. destinations. Otherwise there's UPS for shipping the items. The "chronic complainer" passenger who creates a scene because of service and lateness thereby attracting everybody's attention then gives them sour stares back is in need of "help" therapy for displaying their built up anger on this one incident.
I do wish they had more quiet cars or booths for cell phone users. Once the whole coach heard one college girl's life problems and intimacies. If she only knew what she sounded like. It did provided on board entertainment. But try to keep your cool. If Amtrak could only afford to employ service people for handling these problems so you can get about your train business that might help.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page