RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Ouch!- Viewliner Cancellations

Author Topic: Ouch!- Viewliner Cancellations
JoeR
Member # 2633

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for JoeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad news:

Seems Amtrak is having a real problem keeping those Viewliners running. On a recent Jan 29th trip on The Crescent, one Viewliner was missing (which of course led to some very unhappy people, thinking they would have a bed and instead had to ride up in coach. I was lucky enough to have a room in the sleeper that was operating). In any rate, in checking the amtrak website looks like some Viewliners deletions have become permanent throughout April. They include:

1.the single Viewliner on The Cardinal (and the diner as well)

2. Deletion of the Boston sleeper of The Lake Shore Limited.

And, though you can't tell from Amtrak's website, a recent NARP bulletin has shown the Crescents 2 sleepers being reduced to 1, and the Silver Meteors 3 sleepers reduced to 2. Don't be surprised if these become permanent through April.

It looks like the sleepers are back in effective in May.

While I don't mind riding coach, (in fact, it's more fun in a lot of ways) I'm sure other people don't think the same way. I wonder if Amtrak will call people and tell them of the situation, or just wait to break the bad news when they get to the station on the day of travel, much to the chagrin of station personnel, I'm sure.

Any thoughts on the matter?
Is this effecting anyone?

Posts: 38 | From: Highland, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, every person affected by this is represented in congress. Make the congresspet call the passenger and tell them why they can't have a sleeper. Follow me on this logic. Sleepers are EXPENSIVE so it would follow that the big A makes more money on them right? So what happens when all the sleepers are down for repairs and a passenger has to make a res months in advance to get one? Every business person knows how wise it is to be out of stock of your most popular product with the highest margin. All together now...DUHHH! Makes me want to throttle someone.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe - if you have advance reservations (which are required for sleepers), AMTRAK will generally call you and tell you if a sleeper won't be available on the train you have reserved -- that is, of course unless it's a last minute thing, such as a derailment which totals the sleeper the day before you are scheduled to depart. In any case, though, you WILL get a refund if you end up having to ride in coach.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well---

So long as the 9111 line is not blanked on Feb 19, my self interests will be served.

It is my understanding that the Viewliners removed from service were largely the result of frozen pipes; the calendar will soon correct that problem.

However, I would hope that Amtrak is addressing a "retrofit' to the Viewliners so that it is not necessary to loose a reported 40% of your fleet from an occurrence that "just comes naturally".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JoeR,
Thanks for the 'heads up"!
My wife & I were booked for a sleeper on the LSL in Mid April from Boston to Chicago (#449).
I called Amtrak and was able to re-book coach from Boston to Albany (#449) & sleeper from Albany to Chicago (#49), at the point where it meets the New York to Chicago sleeper.
Without your information, I would not have known to check into this until it was too late and all the sleeper space would have been booked to Chicago.
We even pocketed a $48.00 refund for the coach portion of the trip.
Thanks again.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of interest, who gets cancelled? The people who booked in the second sleeper, which would generally be people who booked more recently, or what?

Thanks

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, et allis, here’s some info that gives a good sitrep:

(in part) from Amtrak, ops advisory 6 Feb
re: Equipment - Consist Restructure:

--Trains 19/20, Crescent:
Continued Viewliner problems and Amtrak's inability to get sufficient cars back on the road mean that the second Viewliner sleeping car line on the Crescent will not return until April 26 and April 28, on Trains 19 and 20, respectively. Also, Amfleet-II smoking lounges are being transferred to the Lake Shore Ltd.. Crescent will become a nonsmoking train.

--Trains 48/49, 448/449, Lake Shore Ltd.
In an attempt to address the unacceptable performance of the Lake Shore Ltd., Trains 448/449 will become a stub train operation with cross platform transfer at Albany-Rensselaer, beginning February 17. There will no longer be through car service between Chicago and Boston; the Lounge car will operate between Chicago and New York; and it will be an Amfleet-II smoking lounge, transferred from the Crescent, making the Lake Shore no longer a nonsmoking train.

This will match the Lake Shore consist to that of the New York-Miami Silver Service trains and will change the equipment rotation, getting the train's cars to their Hialeah maintenance base more frequently. At New York, Train 92 will turn to Train 49; Train 48 will turn to Train 91.

Standard consist of Trains 48/49 will become two units, Baggage, Dorm, two Viewliner sleepers, Diner, Lounge (smoking), and four Coaches, plus mail and express.

Standard consist of Trains 448/449 will be Baggage, Cafe Car, two Coaches.

Train 448(16) will be last to operate from Chicago.

These changes will remain until 07MAY04, at which time the combined operation of New York and Boston cars on one train CHI-ALB is planned to resume.

--Trains 50/51, Cardinal
This train has had its Viewliner Sleeping Car, Diner, Crew Dorm and baggage car removed, and this will now continue until the Spring Timetable change on 26APR04. Train will consist of Lounge car and three Coaches. No checked baggage service.
Also, Train 51 will no longer operate as part of Regional Train 155 between New York and Washington on Sundays, but will run as a separate train.

--Trains 66/67, Federal
Sleeping Car service on this train is suspended until the Fall Timetable change. The first day the sleeper is planned to operate is now October 25 in both directions.
--NOTE: If equipment problems persist, these service reductions may be extended, or more reductions may be implemented.

Hope this helps.

------------------
_________Thë Çhîeƒ
_|_|_|_|_

[This message has been edited by The Chief (edited 02-14-2004).]

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted on another forum my opinion of these Viewliner problems. I don't understand why it will take until the end of April to rectify the problem - get those with an easy fix back on the road and continue with the Viewliner overhaul program. I am sure Amtrak is still paying crew costs even with the cars out of service - shift the diner from the Cardinal to the Three Rivers. And there's no baggage cars around for the Cardinal? How about converting the Cardinal back into a Superliner trainset - DC to Chicago only. When the Superliner equipment became scarce - they substituted Viewliners - they can't do the same now with the addition of using the Transition Dorms for revenue space and the Superliner overhaul program well underway and returning cars to service? The quick and easy solution is cancel or reduce service options. It's also a quick solution to blame deferred maintenance. That's probably true, but the PR from this is going to be devasting. Seemed like Gunn was making progress, and now this is like taking 50 steps backwards -he's had the reign for over a year now. The shortage of Viewliners is really evident now.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a call the other day re: my crescent tix/sleeper on March 20. Was advised one of our rooms (two standard rooms) was just moved, not cancelled.
Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about short turning some of the sleepers? Say on the Crescent, turn one at Atlanta rather than hauling it, likely mostly empty, to New Orleans? Same for the Florida service: Take one off at either Savannah or Jacksonville and sent it back north. Same token northbound, take a Silver Star sleeper and turn it at Washington. If the demand is there, the switching should more than pay for itself. Hello, Amtrak?
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeR
Member # 2633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right George Harris; so many simple solutions to a problem.

I remember riding The Cardinal back in '98. It ran full with 3 coaches, 2 sleepers a diner and sightseer lounge, all Superliner. Today it has 3 coaches and a cafe.

Posts: 38 | From: Highland, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think Amtrak could scrape together a Viewliner to operate on the Federal - how many Viewliners sit overnight in Sunnyside yard? One can't be deadheaded (or even used) to DC for the run North - and vice versa for the Boston origination. Amtrak needs to think outside the box in times like these. It is getting ridiculous. I am sure they are still paying some sort of crew costs. The should still operate the diner on the Cardinal for such a long haul train - use it as the lounge and diner. It's all driving passengers away. I hope they get this Viewliner problem fixed by May.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jp1822 your idea of the lounge and diner in one probably wouldnt work out to well.

There'd hardly be anytime to lounge around in between the meals when the crew uses that time to set up for the next meal.
Unless you're saying half of the car is a diner and the other a lounge?

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uncle Buck - I believe that is exactly what jp meant -- use part of the car as a diner and part as a lounge...
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We lost our sleeper on trains 97/98 this month. One of Julie's human friends called with plenty of notice. We were booked in the 12 car - last on, first off, I guess. Coach was not an option for us. We got a full refund less a "fee". Dear Mr. Gunn....why were we charged a penalty for a cancellation caused by a decision made by Amtrak?
Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Um....you need to call and make sure they don't charge you the fee - it's probably the $30 cancellation fee. That's totally uncalled for and ridiculous if the sleeper and reservation you made is changed on Amtrak's account. I would raise holy h#@@.

I am scheduled to be on the Silver Meteor (train 97/98) in late March. I think I need to call and confirm my reservation. There's four of us going to Savannah and we have two bedrooms.......

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page