RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » transfer time

Author Topic: transfer time
Greg16
Member # 3096

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtak's official minimum transfer time is 1 hour. My wife and I are traveling from Milwaukee to Flagstaff and would like to make the train 336 to train 3 transfer in Chicago on a Sunday. This is a scheduled 46 minute transfer time. Has anyone done this? Can it be done reasonably?
Thanks,
Greg

[This message has been edited by Greg16 (edited 02-27-2004).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't do it - take an earlier train. The Hiawatha is usually very dependable, but when I'm making a long distance train connection in Chicago I want to be SURE I make the connection!
Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done that exact same Sunday transfer twice in the last two years. Both times, the Hiawatha arrived on time or early into Chicago.

We easily made our connection. {We were ticketed for the 334, but wanted to leave MKE after 12:00.} In fact, we are booked on that same trip from MKE to the Grand Canyon on May 2.

If you are concerned about it, call the MKE station Sunday morning and ask if there's any anticipated delays for the Hiawatha.

Worst case scenario, if the Hiawatha is delayed enroute, you can ask the conductor to radio ahead and tell Amtrak you are coming. They may, or may not, hold the SW Chief for you.

[This message has been edited by mikesmith (edited 02-28-2004).]

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not worth the stress. take the earlier hiawatha. we are probably only talking a few hours earlier. you will have a much more relaxing trip.

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
334-CHI-3 is a guaranteed connection. Which means that in the (unlikely) event something goes wrong, Amtrak has a "strong moral' (but not legal) obligation to "take care of you'. This could even mean an ORD/MDW-MCI "catch up" flight.

Take 336, misconnect, and you are "on your own"; this could even result in forfeiture of your Sleeper accomodations charges (the majority of your fare lest we note) as you had not given one week's cancellation notice.

Play it safe!!

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 02-28-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take an earlier train--why risk it?
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page