RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New to Amtrak Travel.....suggestions??

Author Topic: New to Amtrak Travel.....suggestions??
jdplawman
Member # 3098

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for jdplawman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
My wife and I have never traveled by train, although we've always wanted to. We are planning a trip from Chicago to San Fran (spending a night there) then on to Seattle (spending a night there) and then heading back to Chicago. We are planning on booking a standard sleeper for nights on the train. Are we doing too much at once or is this a good plan? ANY thoughts are appreciated!! Thanks, Jeff

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff--

If you have the time I'd suggest two nights or more in San Francisco (Hint: NEVER refer to it as San Fran or Frisco. "The City" is fine, but San Franciscans are touchy about other shortened references!) and Seattle. You need to take in to account that the trains may well run late. If you really do just want to spend a night I'd suggest looking at the "Hotels Near Stations" part of this website. There are two directly across the tracks from the Emeryville station. You'll be bussed from there to San Francisco. And lots of good reviews for the Pioneer Square Best Western in Seattle. Much of this is personal preference, but I'd really suggest giving yourself some "land time" between those long rides.

Frank in Santa Barbara

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would strongly suggest booking Deluxe Rooms in place of the Standard. The Standard is in all honesty a one adult accomodation with two beds. Two person occupancy of the room should be limited to an Adult with small child, two adolescents, or two adults who are prepared to sacrifice considerable comforts in exchange for a lesser rail fare.

I realize I have essentially doubled your accomodation charges, and I note others active at this board disagree. I respect their thoughts, but I'm simply giving you my thoughts based upon that this is a discressionary trip being taken for enjoyment as well as drawing from experiences gained from lifetime rail mileage in the vicinity of 250K.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 02-28-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One place to check out is the "Travel Tips" section at the Nat'l Ass'n of Rail Passengers website: http://www.narprail.org

Another site to look at is the On Track On Line site at http://www.on-track-on-line.com

Some things to keep in mind: The private railroads that Amtrak travels ver do all of their own maintenance, and handle all of their own traffic control. So, the punctuality and ride quality of your trip will vary depending upon who the "landlord" is. Remember, Amtrak is not always welcomed by certain railroads, and it shows in their priority given to Amtraks trains. In fact, certain RR's will frequently give priority to their own frieght trains over Amtrak, so don't be surprised when you have to take the side track, and anther frieght goes roaring by. come to think of it, many issues that passengers blame Amtrak for are the fault of the landlord railroads.
You have made a wise choice in choosing the sleeper, however, onw train ride isn't representative of the entire network. I've had trains trips that have varied in quality due to the crew aboard, and due to which section one was traveling in. It is possible to have two different experiences on board the very same train! It really depends upon one's perspective. In Amtrak crews, and aboard Amtrak trains, you'll run into a cross-section of US society - some crewmembers are fantastic, others mediocre, while there are a few who have no business in a customer service job. That is like many other occupations -- there are doctors who are God's Gift to medicine, and there are quacks who have no business seeing any patients, for example. I tend to make all my travel as low-maintenance and self-contained as possible, so I'm not one of those who demands to be waited on hand and foot (as a matter of fact, there have been train trips where I preferred to make my own sleeper bed, get my own time for dinner, that sort of thing. It's not all that difficult).
It helps to have realisitc expectations while aboard: Don't expect the Orient Express (Amtrak doesn't have that kind of budget or resources), don't expect the plastic artificial smiles like what you get with the airlines, but do expect to have fun, be polite and social, and go to the lounge car to mingle a bit. Bring a card game or a good book to read while you're aboard. I write this becuae some folks get aboard the train with over-romanticised notions and greatly exaggerated expectations, only to find out that reality can be very different than what they had imagined.

You say that you're going on the Zephyr? One more thing to remember is to get to the observation car early after Denver departure, and get a good seat.

I could type on this topic for pages and pages, but I'll end here. Enjoy your trip. Let us know about it here when you get back. Also be sure to check out the "travel" section, and some of the trip reports that have been posted at this and other sites. Perhaps other members of the forum will post links to other sites that have other trip reports.

[This message has been edited by CG96 (edited 02-28-2004).]

[This message has been edited by CG96 (edited 02-28-2004).]

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sbalax is correct. The SF portion of your trip is doable only if you plan to see "the City" at the speed of light! If at all possible, allow yourself more time.

BTW, again sbalax is correct. If you speak the words "San Fran" or worst yet, "Frisco", it's like tattooing the word tourist on your forehead, wearing black socks with shorts, and having a camera hanging down from your neck, and ..... it will sound like that terrrible noise of you scratching the chalkboard with your fingernails.
Please don't say those words in San Francisco! See you in "the City" ! ;-)

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdplawman
Member # 3098

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for jdplawman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the tips. I only used "San Fran" to shorten typing, but I DID enjoy the analogy!! We have been debating whether to upgrade to Deluxe bedroom as we are NOT small people and my wife is somewhat claustrophobic. I guess we'll see what happens. Thanks again....Jeff
Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Lawman--

You WILL upgrade.

Trust me, when you board and see a Standard in real life (as opposed to the webtour Amtrak offers at their site), you will thank me for my "directive".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be possible to upgrade after you get on the train. It will depend on how full the sleeper is. And I agree, one night in SF won't do.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen to Mr. Norman. You and your wife will be much happier in the Deluxe. The Pacific Parlour Car is a lifesaver on the Starlight during the day but the Standard seems to shrink at night if there are two people!

By the way, you might consider staying in Emeryville and using BART to get under the Bay to "The City". You do NOT want to rent a car.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll agree about San Francisco: a wonderful city. Just take the Amtrak provided transport into the city from Emeryville. I'd recommend the Grant Plaza Hotel, where I've stayed twice. Clean, and great location at the entrance of Chinatown. I suppose their website is www.grantplaza.com
About $70 a night. A half block from the cable car which takes you almost to where the Amtrak bus will let you off
You could spend a half day in Golden Gate park, weather permitting.
You are doin three wonderful trains: I love the Empire Builder. My wife and I did the trip you are doing, only in reverse. Wonderful, not too much. Heck, not enough!

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, you and your wife are planning one of the most scenic and relaxing vacations known to man....

On your first day out, you get to watch the Mississippi River flow towards the Gulf, the second day, your brain will go into overload with the climb into the Rockies and all of the impressive Rockie Mountain canyons. The third day, you get overwhelmed by the Sierra Nevada mountains and Donner Pass. Then you get to cruise through the Cascades of Oregon and Washington before passing through the Rockies again in Idaho and western Montana.

Most of the scenic areas are traversed at a stately 37 miles an hour pace. (Speed limit in National Wildlife Management areas)

You will never forget this trip! Enjoy!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this trip 3 years ago - best vacation I ever took! In my case, I spent 2 nights in Seattle after making a connection in Emeryville from the CZ to the Coast Starlight. Despite the CZ being 5 hours late, I made the connection with time to spare. (I also figured that if things went really awry, I could connect anywhere between there & Sacramento since I would be back-tracking along the same route). I had a deluxe room to myself (standard on the Starlight), and I arrived home (Milwaukee) only 20 minutes behind schedule more relaxed than I had been after any vacation of my life. Be sure to take binoculars. (and if your budget will allow, go for the deluxe sleeper - pretend it's a cruise).
Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been known to defend standard sleepers on this board, but if anyobe is even slightly claustrophobic I would recommend against them. You cannot stand with the beds down, and there is little clearance above you, which makes changing clothes very difficult. If you are travelling over the summer, you need to really book far in advance for bedroom accomodations and should not count on upgrading on board.

CG96 gave an excellent summary of rail travel, but I would recommend getting your observation car seat BEFORE the train leaves Denver as it fills up in a hurry. When I took photos on that segment, the ones I have of the interior of the dome car say more than the exterior shots. Everyone is leaning toward the windows with looks of awe on their face.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm inclined to agree with all of the above posts. My wife and I have no trouble being together in a standard room, but we are both fairly small. The standard room is really more of a compartment than a room. It is fairly cozy, but hardly spacious. To help you visualize it, it is about the length of a bathtub, and bit wider than your home's front doorway. When the beds are opened the floor space shrinks to something about the size of a large meat platter. It is little more than wiggle room.

Note that the smaller person usually ends up in the upper bunk. It requires some agility to get into, and the procedure is a little counterintuitive. You sort of have to point your head at the pillow and roll in.

A Deluxe room might be advisable in your case given the distance you're going, if you can afford it. But, if you can't afford the upgrade, AND if you don't mind some inconvenience at night, you'll probably be OK in the standard room.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 02-29-2004).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the word overkill means anything to you ...

I am also another standard sleeper advocate, when I am alone. But last year I switched to a deluxe for the third trip after my wife and I shared a standard (for her first non-solo overnight). We are medium-sized ... should have taken the deluxe. Fortunately it was only for one night. She would have gone AWOL if it was longer.

Get a deluxe ... it's worth all the benefits

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't afford a deluxe room anymore. One time we got a deluxe room sort of on accident ( think they booked wrong room)..anyway we had a standard and a deluxe. I am fine with standard. If you only pull bed down when it is time to sleep you are fine. Might be a toughie for the 50 mile an hour club, but romantics finds a way!

We are about to take the trip from New Orleans to NY in two weeks...here are some suggestions:

If you can SKIP a shower for a day,then plan on it. I don't like to shower on trains public showers.So everyone gets the good scrub the night before we leave. We all travel in " sweat pants and T-shirt".

I pack the old timey "train case". These are the smallish hard shell suitcases that ladies would pack their toiletries in. Here is what I pack too in the train case: washcloths, Tempo napkins ( they are a sturdier napkin), all toothbrushes and toothpaste, extra sox. The extra sox are so we can walk in sox around the little room, and have clean ones to sleep with if needed ( never walk through cars without shoes).

I also pack a reading bag..magazines that I am willing to read and toss.

I also pack an electronics bag..gameboys for kids, cameras etc.

I also bring some snacks, nuts, granola etc.

I keep a small suitcase with a change of clothes for each person for the next day.

All the above planning means:
Traveling in comfy clothes means we can fall asleep in what we have on. We are not doing a bunch so we don't get smelly etc. We travel in T-shirt and bring zippered sweat shirt or sweater cause you never know what the temp may be.
We use our own washcloths cause I just like to do that more!

No one cares what you look like on the train ( so long as you are not scary looking or filthy). Some elderly people I notice still travel rather formally to our ways.

Sometimes the bathrooms in the train cars get icky. I have found the bathrooms in the louge car to be cleaner.

You will have a blast...don't be in a hurry. The food in the diner is always great and eating dinner while the sun sets is spectacular!

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
A lot of helpful information has been set forth by Ms. Kaz (pretty sure it is Ms).

The only point with which I must disagree is use of the community shower. This is hands down the greatest innovation that Amtrak has brought to overnight rail travel, and to date with at least 20 occasions since 1996 to use, they are "batting a thousand" i.e. they have delivered a reliable stream of hot water and were always clean.

One reason I prefer Lower Level Superliner Standards is the ready access to the shower. With a Deluxe, there is no problem as you have your own (that is part of what the big $$$ are all about insomuch as one Deluxe is often priced greater than two Standards).

If you are concerned about the potential for "fungus', the best advice is pack a pair of shower thongs and if still concerned a container of medicated foot powder.

I think common courtesy says to wipe it down when finished with your used towel. If "basin tub and tile" cleaner has been laid out by the Attendant, use it.

And lastly, strongly concur with your advice to never even think of walking outside of your car without hard soled footwear.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 03-01-2004).]

Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the standard sleeper was just fine. We are not "big" people, nor are we small. During the day there is plenty of room to stretch out and at night you just crawl in and go to sleep. There seems to be alot of trashing the standard rooms but I would rather take two trips in a standard than one in a deluxe, ( or none at all)! Sure if I could afford it I would love the deluxe every trip but I also loved my little room with a view! The shower was also a nice perk. We never had to wait, it was always clean, there was spray disinfectant in all the public rooms and the towels were clean and fresh. I will book a deluxe room one of these days but it will have to be in the off season to make it worth the extra $$$. Please don't be discouraged if you can't afford a deluxe, try just one night to see for yourself if you can tolerate the standard.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert, I strongly disagree with you about shower thongs.

If anyone saw me or my wife in a shower thong, they would require at least a year of therapy to get past that "vision"!

However, I would highly recommend flip-flops for your feet.....

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, in my youth "thongs" were the popular term for what are now known as "flip-flops." It had nothing to do with lingerie when I first heard the term (and probably ditto for Mr. Norman). But language evolves....
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page