RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Another bunch of questions!!

Author Topic: Another bunch of questions!!
jdplawman
Member # 3098

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdplawman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I stated in my previous post, we are going from Chicago to San Francisco on the California Zephyr, then on to Seattle on the Coast Starlight and finally back to Chicago on the Empire Builder. During these trips, is there a preferred side to be on for the best views?? Also, as we are NOT small people (I am 5'9"/230Lb), will a standard bedroom be adequate for us. My wife is somewhat claustriphobic, so I was wondering about this. ANY tips are appreciated. Thanks, Jeff
Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For every view I can think of best viewed from the right (engineer's) side, I can think of one best viewed from the laft (Fireman's).

Left:

Clarendon Hills (my home town @ MP 18.34 - 30" after leaving CHI)
Downtown Reno
Carquinez Strait
Puget Sound
Mississippi River

Right:

Ascent of the Rockies after Denver
Glenwood Cyn
DT Salt Lake City
Emigrant Gap
SF Bay views
Mt Shasta

So it is a flip a coin.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 02-28-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff:
As an Amtrak Conductor let me tell you. If you are heavy set then you will be unconfortable in a standard sleeper. One person does have to climp up to the upper bed and the ceiling is pretty close to your face plus you do need to strap yourself in so as not to be thrown out if you happen to hit some rough track. I think someone else mentioned doing an upgrade on board with the Conductor which is fine as long as they have one. You can get a better deal with the Conductor. It just depends if you want to take that chance. I've been out here in CA for 11 years now and I want to tell you trust these guys when they say spend more time in SF if you can. There's lot's to see. I've been in the City several times and still haven't seen it all yet.

Have Fun and Happy rails.

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Standard Bedroom is really tight for two people. It's fine for one except for lack of private toilet and shower. We've done both but Deluxe is much, much better. I'm 6'2", 185 and couldn't handle the upper berth.

Go for the Deluxe if your budget will allow it.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute, Mr. Sheriff--

"Strap yourself in": you must affix a restraining strap between the bunk and the ceiling to avoid the possibility of rolling out. Every upper bunk I've even seen, be they in a 12Sec Hwt Pullman or a cruiseship, has same.

By no means is this a strap such as on a guerney affixed to a patient being transported in an ambulance.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 02-29-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I travel in the standard bedroom. It is a little tight, but during the day, there is plenty of room, and at night, well... we're mostly asleep and don't notice the "cramped" quarters. And it is WAY cheaper than a deluxe.

Most of our trips are in the 5,000 to 6,000 mile length, so the standard is do-able for long distances.

If your wife is claustrophobic, you get the top bunk.... The major problem with the top bunk is NO WINDOW!

Also, on the Coast Starlight, you'll spend most of your time in the Parlour Car, and on the California Zephyr and the Empire Builder, you'll spend a large amount of your time in the Sightseer Car.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking that same trip in April. My husband and I took the CZ from Chicago to Reno last October in a standard sleeper and did just fine. We had planned to get a Deluxe room on this next trip, but choose to pay for our Sons to come with us instead. In otherwords, the cost of a Deluxe room was nearly double when we booked. I checked the cost this morning and the cost of two DX rooms would be $3,652 more than what I paid. The cost of two standard rooms was $442 more. One of these times we will try a Deluxe, but then we may get spoiled!
As far as only one night in "The City" that is all the time we have also. We do get to EMY (if on time) around 5:00, and the Slarlight doesn't leave till 10:10 (if on time) the next day. That give about 28 hours. Besides it gives us a good reason to come back. We will stay in Seatle two nights though, as we arrive at 8:30? and depart the next day at 4:45?.
When are you planning to go?
Try to book real early as I remember the Deluxe rooms were more affordable when I first started planning.
Both my Sons are grown and over 6'3", so we will see just how accomodating the standard rooms are. Although they are in their 20's and the trip is free for them so they may be more forgiving. I'll let you know.

[This message has been edited by Sammy (edited 02-29-2004).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 2455

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since passenger size and comfort is being discussed here, I was wondering if I might ask about the toilet/shower in the deluxe room. Is it as tiny as everyone says? I've seen the deluxe rooms, but never looked into a bathroom. I'm a larger person, too, and I also travel with a small child who can need some assistance in the bathroom. We will be travelling on the Capitol this summer. We did OK in the lower-level public bathroom in a sleeper last year, although it was not comfortable.

As far as the original poster's concerns, I personally would advise against a claustrophobic person taking a standard bedroom. I shared one eastbound with my older (8) daughter on the Empire Builder last summer, and I thought it oppressive at night with the door and curtains closed. It was hot, stuffy, and very close. It is very small, especially if you have many belongings with you. When the bunks are down there is no floor space, just a narrow strip barely big enough for putting on slippers. My daughter, who slept in the top bunk, is very agile, but I could also see that many adults would have some trouble just getting into the top bunk, which is accessed by walking up a couple of steps built into the wall.

Posts: 31 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I usually take deluxe bedrooms, and I have had many a shower in the combined toilet/shower room, I can confirm that it is very tiny. I am over six feet tall and more than 200 lbs, and it is a squeeze, however, having a tiny shower is much better than no shower at all (as in the bad old days). By the way if you can afford it do purchase the deluxe, it is well worth the extra money.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdplawman
Member # 3098

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jdplawman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for everyone's help and comments. It sure us nice to have a resource like this. I noticed on the trip from Chicago on the California Zephyr there are only standard bedrooms availabe. Why is that? Anyone know? Thanks again, Jeff
Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tigger:
I am 6' 250. I travel with my son now 6 1/2, going regularly from Denver to NYC. I always go in a deluxe bedroom. The shower is a squeeze, but with all facilities in the room I do not have to leave him when I want to use the bathroom/shower. I also like the deluxe because I love to lie awake at night and look out the window. We usually share the bottom bunk. Deluxe gives him room to spread out his games and drawing paper and even have an afternoon nap (although he is mostly beyond naps now, much to my napping dismay). It is expensive but planned far enough ahead it is cheaper and beats driving that far. I do fly but prefer ground travel.

Seeing all the signs and mile posts helps him with his math and geography and now that he is starting tom read I hope trust it will help him with that as well.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Oh, Oh--

That means Deluxes are gone for the day you selected for travel.

Sorry; best book another Standard and check the site frequently. Things have a way of "opening up".

Sheriff
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheriff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry Gilbert,
I guess I did make that sound a little harsh, didn't I.

Yes there are straps in which you attach to the ceiling to keep you from accidently rolling out.

Posts: 100 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canoe86
Member # 3099

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canoe86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheriff, after I read what you said about buckling in I looked at my wife and told her I had to be belted to the upper bunk so not to fall out. (it is our first sleeper car experience) Our comment was, "it still beats sleeping in the astro van!" So, there is always a good side to things, but I am glad to know NOW the straps just go to the ceiling! LOL
Posts: 30 | From: michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jdplawman, if you're concerned about cost, and since you'll be taking three trains, perhaps you might take the standard rooms on the Zephyr (perhaps your only choice at this point), then get Deluxe rooms on the other trains. That way you'll get to sample both types of rooms, but you'll get some breathing room as you progress through your journey. As Gilbert suggested, booking two standard rooms might work well if you are worried about fitting into the small upper bunk. Ask the agent for rooms directly across the hall from each other (Such pairs are 3&4, 5&6, 7&8, 9&10, 11&12, 13&14; the last two pairs are on the lower level). Having rooms on each side of the train also enables you to easily switch sides when the view requires it.

Tigger, the Deluxe room toilet has about the same 18" square of floor space as the public toilets, but since there is no sink and counter space in there, the overall dimensions are smaller.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page