RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Between LMY and ABQ on the Southwest Chief

Author Topic: Between LMY and ABQ on the Southwest Chief
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm planning a trip from Milwaukee to Santa Fe this summer. My current plan is to detrain at Lamy for the shuttle to Sante Fe, but I am thinking of going to ABQ & proceeding west from there when my time in Sante Fe is over. Will I miss some great train scenery doing it that way - i.e. should I go back to Lamy before proceeding west?
Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My opinion: you should go as planned to Alb.
The area between LMY and ALB is perhaps the least scenic portion of the SWC trip through NM. This may offer the added benefit of giving you some time in ALB before you board the train.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glorietta Pass and Apache Canyon are both pretty nice. One last chance to see verdant pine trees before the endless desert terrain starts.

But in ther spirit of "we report you decide", here is a link of interest. http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/places/states/newmexico/nm_gloriettaphoto.htm

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 03-01-2004).]

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you are coming from the east you will have already seen Glorieta Pass and Apache Canyon which are both located just east from LMY.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glorieta Pass and Apache Canyon are just EAST of Lamy, so you will not miss them if following your plan.

Leaving Lamy towards ABQ the SWC makes a fast descent down a shallow arroyo toward the valley of the Rio Grande. There are a few interesting rock formations and homes, but it is mostly barren desert country without much vegetation. Then it speeds south down the more populated agricultural Rio Grande valley through villages and a Pueblo. As with many urban areas, you do not see their best side by rail, but you get to see a lot of what they throw away.

The most scenic part is that most of the way you have a great view of the Sandia Mountains to the east as the afternoon sun illuminates their sheer western face. But you can also see them driving down on I-25.

Having told you what you would miss, I would agree with rrchina that it is not worth changing your plans for. There is a scenic alternate route to ABQ through Madrid called the Turquoise Highway with ghost towns and antique stores. Old Town in ABQ is also worth spending some time in.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall circa 1975, a Santa Fe Brakeman pointed out the canyon noted and even permitted me to open the Dutch Door (a no-no nowadays) near Canyoncitio.

He thought that was a scenic highlight, but I recognize that considerable time would be saved by taking your rented auto or limo down to ABQ - especially since the lengthy station stop there has to be considered.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since no one has answered your question I will, Between Lamy and ABQ the tracks make there way down a nice canyon to the Rio Grande. You would then run along the river passing a few Pueblos
one even having a Santa Fe sign stil lstanding, I would diffently do this section of the Southwest Chief route.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaJudy
Member # 2467

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for GrandmaJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your advice. Coming from the east, which side of this train has the best scenery? I know I won't get a choice which side my room is on, but I could always scoot over to the lounge/observation car so as not to miss a thing.
Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachclass
Member # 2382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachclass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say the north (right facing the front of the train) has the best scenery as it looks out on the mountains more than the plains and desert that is mostly to the South. This is also a great route for wildlife watching. On my January trip on the SWC I saw a bald eagle, lots of hawks, deer, and several small herds of pronghorn antelope on the plains. About halfway between Las Vegas and Lamy is a series of tight curves where the train winds its way through and if you are looking forwards or backwards you can see (and take a picture if you want) of most of the rest of your train. Have a good trip.
-Coachclass www.geocities.com/coachseats

Posts: 78 | From: Des Moines, IA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page