RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Orleans station

Author Topic: New Orleans station
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the gift-shops and the food places stay open 'round the clock? Just wondering.If the teain is VERY late, you will not have time to look around and see if things are closed.

[This message has been edited by Boyce (edited 03-05-2004).]

Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NOL station is vile. Even the "first class lounge" is vile.
The law enforcement people however are helpful.
The stuff in the French Quarter is open late. We went to Cafe Dumond around 12:30 AM.

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I trust Ms. Kaz will be pleased to learn that the First Class Lounge, while once so, is no longer vile. Somehow, they found the money to give it a bit of a fix up.

New Orleans station personnel are "just great" - their courtesy is sincere. This even includes a uniformed Amtrak Police Officer!!!!

Otherwise, on my Feb 25 (Ash Wed) layover between #1 and #58, I had no reason or desire to leave the station.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 03-06-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert, nice to hear of a much needed improvement. We were there in April 03 and it was exactly as yummykaz described.

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 03-06-2004).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtk507
Member # 3083

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtk507     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there just recently, Feb 22, and yes, it is much improved from the old days. The First Class lounge, the Magnolia Room, is still small but has been spruced up with some new furniture , artwork, and a new TV. Coffee and water are avialable.

However - I was attempting to spend my #2 to #20 layover in the lounge since hotel rooms on that night were either nonexistent or outrageous (Mardi Gras time). After arriving at 10:00 p.m. and settling into a nice chair, I and another rider were "kicked out" politely by Amtrak staff saying the lounge is closed between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.! I had overnighted in the lounge before, so this was a surprise to me. I was told that these clsoing hours had always been there, but apparently this was the first time they were being enforced.

So I spent the night in the main waiting room in a hard plastic chair instead. Not the greatest, but the whole area seemed clean, well lit, and there was a roaming police patrol. The shops were all closed, so I'm sure they must close no later than 9:00 p.m. and they weren't open as of my 7:00 a.m. departure. Yes, you do see a real "mix" of people in there, but everyone was pretty well behaved. The restroom was clean, and other than the darn chairs, I never felt uncomfortable. The lounge did re-open at 6:00 a.m. and I was able to get some water.

If you luck out and the lounge is open, it is now a nice place to spend a few hours waiting. If the lounge isn't open, and a hotel room isn't an option, then you may want to consider a taxi ride to the Quarter! The station at night is booorrrrr-ing!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glad to hear of the improvements. Just an fyi I have got hotel rooms in NOL for $30-60 for the Sheraton and Raddison in the French 1/4 on Priceline.
Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page