RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » sunset limited on time ever?

Author Topic: sunset limited on time ever?
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi--- I have a reservation to head out to LA Mar 20 from El Paso on the Sunset Ltd. The plan is to connect to the Coast Starlight that morning. However, I have been reading some of the archives and note that this route has some of the worst on-time records, yikes! I also noted that due to repairs further east during this time period, the Sunset Ltd. will be heading out of New Orleans instead of Florida (but maybe that's a good thing?).
Now, due to the potential for the SL to be way off schedule, I'm wondering if I should change my plans and try to head west from Albuquerque instead (a 3-4 hour drive), and maybe have a better shot at the Coast Starlight connection? All a bit of a crapshoot I suppose.
What's the worst case scenario? All thoughts appreciated.

Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Houstonia
Member # 3084

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Houstonia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi chile2

I just got back from a trip to Vancouver, BC. I took the Sunset Limited to LA and transferred to the Coast starlight. We were about 5 hours late at one point, but it's important to note that we picked up time overnight in the W. Texas/Arizona areas. I made it to L.A. late, but still with an hour to spare before the Coast Starlight left.

Same on the way back--except this time we made it in to L.A. from Seattle with less than an hour between trains.

If Amtrak suspects they won't make the time for transfers, they will 1) delay the train that you need to transfer to, in order to wait for all of you, or 2) bus you from an earlier stop to catch the train you need to transfer to, or 3) in extreme cases where there's no way they can catch up to the train, they will put you up in a hotel.

I was told this by Amtrak personnel when I was on the train worrying about making the connections.

Posts: 8 | From: Houston, Tx, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without actually checking, I feel safe in stating that ELP-1-LAX-11-XXX is a guaranteed connection. That means that Amtrak has a moral, but not legal, obligation to "look out for you".

Quite true, the Sunset can run "way late"; nobody is intentionally delaying it; there is simply so much traffic over its route that it simply cannot make oit over the road.

But Amtrak will "bustitute" where necessary; likely they would bus you to a connection with their frequent San Joaquin trains.

Only problem, you will miss out on the magnificient scenery along the Starlight's route.

But you should note that there is quite a bit of "flab" in the Sunset's schedule into its endpoints. I can recall on a Feb 02 trip on the Sunset traveling ORL-NOL, I met some folks going "all the way". I can recall how he looked at the schedule and said to me "what must we do at Pomona? get out and push the train into LA?"

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were 5 hours late into LAX once (actually 6 at one point but the padding meant we were "only" 5 by the time we arrived). The Coast Starlight passengers were bussed from Ontario to Santa Barbara. If the bus missed *that* connection then it was to go a bit further up the line until it caught up. Whether it did ot not, I don't know since I wasn't on the bus.

Moral of the story: Stay overnight in LA if you can.

The Sunset has been known to be on time before. I think it was in 1967 or something...? ;-)

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't have been 1967 Geoff, that's when the Sufferin Pathetic was screwing up their passenger trains on PURPOSE! Must have been '57. :-D
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were you out riding during 1967, Mr. M 190?

Well I was and I must respectfully disagree regarding your blanket statement anout SP "screwing up passenger trains on purpose".

Here is a link to a posting of mine at another board:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/messages.asp?TopicID=638

Regretably, the site linked to above, railroad.net "went down" on March 9 with estimated time of restoral shown "as soon as possible".

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 03-09-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many grateful thanks everyone for the speedy responses! Houstonia, it's good to know that your time was picked up from West Texas on west through Arizona; the part I'll be travelling . Still, it won't hurt to pack the dashboard saint magnets.....
The Amtrak central reservations suggested calling 1-800-872-7245 several hours ahead, to check on train status before heading to the station to board. Is this the best source of on-time (or late) status?

Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can use the website (www.amtrak.com) as well as the phone number: click on train status, enter train number (1), and pick a station. You should be able to monitor your train from the time it leaves New Orleans the morning before you get on, without ever pestering a human (sorry, Julie). If it is late enough you could probably still drive to ABQ, but there is no long term parking at the ABQ depot.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
TwinStarR--- thanks for the tips on how to use the website. I hadn't thought of looking at the website in the morning of departure, but that is indeed a good idea. If the train looks wayy late, then there might be time to zip up to ABQ (assuming they are on time). What would Amtrak do in such a case where I held a ticket on the SLtd from El Paso to LA, but decided instead to depart from ABQ? Would the original ticket still count for credit?
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Houstonia - you were very very lucky to make the connection between 1 and 14.

Gilbert - yes there is "flab" in the schedule of #1 into LAX, but only about 2 hours, so if the Sunset is already 12 hours late into Pomona or Ontario, it won't matter much -- you'll still be 10 hrs late into LAX, and there is no way to make the connection.

Chile2 - as someone else said, plan on staying overnight in Los Angeles, or better still, why not take a little side trip down to San Diego on one of the many Pacific Surfliners after you arrive in L.A. (there are several Surfliners to San Diego throughout the day), stay overnight there, then take a Surfliner back to L.A. the next morning and catch the CS -- I did exactly that during my 2002 trip. The SL was 7 hours late into L.A. (9 hrs. late into Pomona/Ontario), but I had planned on going to San Diego anyway on that trip, so it did not screw up my schedule.

However, if you still insist on making a same-day conection, yes, AMTRAK will bus you from Palm Springs or some other stop to catch up with the Starlight.

Have a great trip!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the SL runs better E to W. Going East is a major problem but the last time on the west-bound SL we got into San Antonio an hour early.

[This message has been edited by Boyce (edited 03-09-2004).]

Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#1 not looking good lately. Six hours late into LAX last trip (Sunday) and 3 hours late this morning.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TwinStarR---- I noted the late times also. A bit nail biting, it is. With the threat of a re-routing by bus to Bakersfield looming on the horizon, I went ahead and rescheduled to leave via the Chief instead, which will hopefully make the connection more timely. Still, I'm packing the rosary..... ;->
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
I have been watching the SWC times for 2 weeks since I will be taking it to ABQ tomorrow. It was on time almost every day. Only one day it was delayed 5 hours somewhere in Illinois but shrunk that to 3:37 by LAX.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember once or twice back in the 80's when the Sunset was on time into Los Angeles.......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THe Sluggsit has a lot of 'flub' time in the schedule, but UP (Utterly Pathetic or Unlimited Parking) just wastes it. With that stretch being so busy, they should get off their rumps and add some track and upgrade signals. But, as UP's initials reflect, the answer to most of Amtrak's inquiries is 'UP yours'. In order for service to improve on the SL, it's going to take a change in attitude on Utterl...uhh...Union PAcific's behalf.

Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page