RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » packing 4 a sleeper

Author Topic: packing 4 a sleeper
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question on the luggage situation, if you all could be so kind. I'm taking the Sunset Ltd from El Paso to LA mid March; thence on to Seattle via the Coast Starlight, then return same. I've booked a family room on the SL going out, then Deluxe room on the CS. Return trip on the CS, a Standard Sleeper , and then coach returning from LA. The group consists of me (gal -small stature), children 7 & 9(skinny). From what I've read, the Family room and Deluxe sleeper will be roomy enough, but the Standard will be a bit tight, LOL. However, likely, a lot of time will be spent in the Pacific Parlour Car, especially with kids.
Here's my plan thus far for luggage:
*1 daypack size backpack for each of us (3 total)
*1 shoulder bag with small pillows and misc.
*? medium sized rolling hard side Samsonite (about 24" x 24")?

I think the backpacks will fit in our rooms pretty much, but will there be room for the Samsonite in the vestibule luggage bay? Am I correct in thinking that the SL & CS are both Superliners that have this bit of common luggage area? I don't want to check any bags. Thanks!

Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The downstairs luggage area on Superliners should be sufficient for 24" of height clearance. I've seen people put HUGE cases down there!

I don't think you're going to get 3 people in a standard sleeper, small people or not!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have taken the Sunset numerous times. Us and 3 kids. We always take the family room. No way can 3 of you fit in a standard!
There is a bunch of room to store your stuff too. Last time we went there was no checking so you HAD to bring it on. But I always pack a train bag...a set of new undies and sox, toiletries to jeep in the car. Cause a lot of times people will stack stuff on top of your stuff and it is hard to get to.

For the kids, I always pack an activity bag too. Magazines, gameboys etc.
I also bring snacks.

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I KNOW you won't get 3 people in a Standard, even though none of you reportedly are known for "super sizing" it at MiCkey-D. I would suggest booking either a Deluxe or an additional Standard at first opportunity, not only for your Starlight return but also your Sunset where you presently are planning on using Coach.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highly unlikely conductor or car attendant will ALLOW you to try and bed 3 in a standard room as it is against the tarrif rules. They WILL allow 3 in a deluxe, but it is priced accordingly. I have seen 3 in a standard on one of my trips, but it was a mother and 2 small children (3-5 yr olds) on an onboard upgrade.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check with Amtrak, you might be able to take yourself and 2 kids under 12 in a standard. If you do go standard, let the kids decide on up or down and put them head to toe.

That should work.

Your luggage will EASILY fit in the downstairs luggage rack. In fact, I bought a 24" samsonite so I could stash it on the step to the top bunk in a standard sleeper. (Fits perfectly with just enough step showing to use it to climb into the top bunk)However, with backpacks, that might be cramped.

Be sure to use the coat hooks to hang your backpacks in the room (there is 3 coat hooks). It will keep them out of the way.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chile: email me your email address and I will send you an Ofoto link of me and the family ( kids and all!) in the sleepers etc. I love looking at other peoples pics, as the Amtrak pics make the sleepers look like giant rooms! (THEY ARE NOT!)My email is: yummykaz@aol.com.
Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, I beg to differ with most of you. My very tall twins when they were 10 or 11 shared a standard with me and claimed they were very comfortable. As Mike says, head to toe, in the lower, which is a little wider. Of course, being "womb-mates" this was not new to them.

I checked with Amtrak ahead of time and back then it was ok if I purchased a coach (child-discount) ticket for one of them. The system would not take 3 passengers under standard sleeper fares. The on-board staff also thought it was fine. We did have to pay for one chow-hound in the diner though.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would't the standard sleeper space be more efficiently used with a toe to toe configuration, depending of course on height?
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meaning pillows at opposite ends>
Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the input. Actually, it was an Amtrak reservations person who talked me into the sleeper. I was going to go on the return, just coach all the way, but she pointed out that the standard sleeper, though tight, wouldn't be all that much more and would afford the comforts of the Pacific Parlour car. She was very helpful and I think she felt sorry for me a bit, too! She mentioned she had done the same kind of fit when her kids were young. She did say that meals for only 2 were included in the price. At any rate, we are used to sleeping tight when we camp out in our smallish tent. I hadn't thought of the 'heads opposite' thing though (duh); thanks for the idea. Altogether, it's probably not the preferred solution, but rather a compromise due to overall budget. Probably would help the fit too, if mom forgoes the meals ;-)
Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Amtrak will let you squeeze them in, I suppose it is OK. But three coach seats would actually give you more space per person.

Regarding the two meals per room, I don't think there's any need for you to go hungry. The adult meals are pretty hearty, and I'll bet two kids could split one plate and come away quite satisfied.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would vote for Deluxe Bedroom over Family Room, if money is not much of a concern ... have been there and done this, with bride and son (he was 7 and 9 when we took him as a family).

The lower in a deluxe is big enough for two adults, let alone 2 kids.

The upper easily holds an adult.

The extra chair allows them choices (as does having the bathroom and shower RIGHT THERE.

The kids also have access to windows on both sides of the train.

Finally, there is more than enough space in a deluxe for all the baggage you describe (even though the rack down below can hold the biggest items).

My thoughts.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa...Lotsa talk here about “not-fitting-three into a Superliner Standard Sleeper.

Fact is it can, and has been done. When my two daughters were younger (up to age 10), we fit three in Standard Sleepers on:

Texas Eagle Fort Worth to Chicago;
Capitol Limited Chicago-Wash DC;
Sunset Limited Houston to Orlando, and return;
Sunset Limited New Orleans to Houston;
Coast Starlight San Jose to Portland.

Like Rocket and mikesmith wisely noted, my two girls elected to sleep head-to-toe. They were comfortable, money was a bit tight, and it was an adventure.

Of course, as they grew taller, and wider (so to speak), and my income increased substantially, we began taking Deluxe, and even Family, Bedrooms.

We never had any problem with a Conductor, Attendant, Reservations Agents, or Diner personnel. It was a win-win deal for all.

As this topic is about fitting three in a Superliner Standard BR, I won’t elaborate on the times we fit three in a Viewliner Standard BR.

And Rocket, my girls are 13 months apart yet always have been called “The Twins.”

------------------
_________Thë Çhîeƒ
_|_|_|_|_

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chief---- thanks for the words of encouragement. Money, is of course, a consideration when the whole vacation is considered. It's good to know it's been done by those such as yourself. It's got to be roomier than sleeping many nights in a row in a backpacking tent ;-> (done that). Actually, young children seem to *like* cozy spaces ; mine are pretty happy campers with a sense of adventure. When they are teens, they likely develop more expensive tastes (yikes).

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page